Michelle Bachmann
- 13 (12%)
Chris Christie
- 23 (21.3%)
Rand Paul
- 49 (45.4%)

Total Members Voted: 107

Pages: 1 ... 215 216 [217] 218 219 ... 667

Author Topic: Bay12 Election Night Watch Party  (Read 819317 times)

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
Re: FJ's American Politics Megathread Two: QUATTUOR Dies Donec Finis Venerit
« Reply #3240 on: October 13, 2013, 07:27:53 pm »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Jd-iaYLO1A&feature=share
So basically, there is basically no way for anyone but Boner to reopen the government.
Congress needs more giant signs in response to bullshit.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

FearfulJesuit

• Bay Watcher
  • True neoliberalism has never been tried
    • View Profile
« Reply #3241 on: October 13, 2013, 07:29:09 pm »

I think it's dangerous to assume that a deal is going to emerge at the last minute. Someone will try to put a deal together at the last minute, and some pack of screeching GOP loonies will stage a revolt so that, even if it could get enough votes, it won't get through. I think default is basically inevitable at this point.

@Footjob, you can microwave most grains I've tried pretty easily through the microwave, even if they aren't packaged for it.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3242 on: October 13, 2013, 07:33:33 pm »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Jd-iaYLO1A&feature=share
So basically, there is basically no way for anyone but Boner to reopen the government.
Well that was pretty brutal.
Doesn't help anybody though.

FearfulJesuit

• Bay Watcher
  • True neoliberalism has never been tried
    • View Profile
« Reply #3243 on: October 13, 2013, 07:41:27 pm »

Update on Cruz from WaPo. Not much new here, except for a rather telling statistic: Ted Cruz won the Value Voters Summit poll with 42% of the vote.

@Footjob, you can microwave most grains I've tried pretty easily through the microwave, even if they aren't packaged for it.

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3244 on: October 13, 2013, 07:43:23 pm »

Would you guys mind terribly if Canada invades and puts Elizabeth Warren as Dictator for Life? >______> This is getting ridiculous.
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3245 on: October 13, 2013, 07:44:29 pm »

An invasion would get lots of people on both sides killed and probably destabilize things even further. So yes, I mind <_<
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #3246 on: October 13, 2013, 07:47:27 pm »

Update on Cruz from WaPo. Not much new here, except for a rather telling statistic: Ted Cruz won the Value Voters Summit poll with 42% of the vote.
Not exactly surprising after what footage I posted of the VVS.
An invasion would get lots of people on both sides killed and probably destabilize things even further. So yes, I mind <_<
Your hardly counts for a question like that, Obama.
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #3247 on: October 13, 2013, 07:48:59 pm »

Would you guys mind terribly if Canada invades and puts Elizabeth Warren as Dictator for Life? >______> This is getting ridiculous.
No, but there remains the not insignificant chance tthe National Security wing (One of the saner branches of the republicans, apperantly) takes over congress, they turn the tables in the war (This is still the worlds largest Military), the US annexes Canada, we use the new resources to fund the economy, and the US gets in it's head that Economy through conquest is a good idea, then World domination. Do you really want a World ruled by the Republican Party? No? Then don't let Canada invade the US.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

lue

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:missing right bracket
    • View Profile
« Reply #3248 on: October 13, 2013, 07:50:57 pm »

figures you would object, O'Sirus...

I can't help but think that at this point the President is seriously considering the pushing-the-envelope ability to raise the ceiling anyway, thanks potentially to the 14th Amendment.
Post not guaranteed accurate or pristine for all of time.
Sigtext. Enticing, yes? If you do not know where things I have "sigged" go, this page will explain.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #3249 on: October 13, 2013, 08:12:26 pm »

Wow, that is pretty stupid. If you have no empirical evidence how can you possibly claim your ideals are more rational?
To be fair, rationalism and empiricism can operate at odds. I mean, I automatically assign superiority to empiricism when there's a conflict and resort to rationalism otherwise, but rationalism is basically the idea that you can deduce everything there is to know from basic principles through logic alone, while empiricism is the idea that fuck that, you're not that smart, so go learn stuff. A rational claim can be proved, an empirical one can be falsified. At least, this is my understanding.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #3250 on: October 13, 2013, 08:15:16 pm »

Wow, that is pretty stupid. If you have no empirical evidence how can you possibly claim your ideals are more rational?
To be fair, rationalism and empiricism can operate at odds. I mean, I automatically assign superiority to empiricism when there's a conflict and resort to rationalism otherwise, but rationalism is basically the idea that you can deduce everything there is to know from basic principles through logic alone, while empiricism is the idea that fuck that, you're not that smart, so go learn stuff. A rational claim can be proved, an empirical one can be falsified. At least, this is my understanding.
I find they co-operate fairly well so long as you do what you said. If you cannot empirically prove or disprove something (in the sense that it is impossible, not that you neglected to do it), then falling back on a rational assessment rarely goes wrong. Of course, one should also be prepared to simply accept they don't know something if a rational assessment is not appropriate either, or empiricism cannot be applied in practice even if it can in theory.
No Gods, No Masters.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3251 on: October 13, 2013, 08:19:18 pm »

If empirical evidence fails me, I just resort to Newton's Flaming laser sword and then use ad hominem to call them a fanatic. Works pretty well.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #3252 on: October 13, 2013, 08:24:04 pm »

Yeah, philosophical tangents aside though, Libertarians can be pretty rational. It's just, I don't really trust that to set economic policy. Because it's way too complex to analyze in the ways I've ever heard a Libertarian do so. Usually, my response to the reasoning is some variant on, "Well, you're not wrong, but I don't think you've accounted for..."

Or their politics begin and end with "Taxation is theft!"
« Last Edit: October 13, 2013, 08:26:30 pm by Bauglir »
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #3253 on: October 13, 2013, 08:26:31 pm »

What I can't stand is "No matter how many times X is tried, it always fails and always means oppression in the end!"

I've heard X be social policies, non-night watchmen states, environmentalism, secularism, taxation, democracy, and much more.
No Gods, No Masters.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3254 on: October 13, 2013, 08:29:34 pm »

Well we can say with confidence that we have experimental evidence that government mandated environmentalism can work and not end in oppression. Reductions in CFCs have been remarkably successful.
Pages: 1 ... 215 216 [217] 218 219 ... 667