Michelle Bachmann
- 13 (12%)
Chris Christie
- 23 (21.3%)
Rand Paul
- 49 (45.4%)

Total Members Voted: 107

Pages: 1 ... 183 184 [185] 186 187 ... 667

Author Topic: Bay12 Election Night Watch Party  (Read 820744 times)

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
Re: FJ's American Politics Megathread Two: QUATTUORDECIM Dies Donec Finis Venerit
« Reply #2760 on: October 04, 2013, 10:14:49 pm »

Apparently, the woman from yesterday had post-partum depression.

Between that and bringing her child with her, I'm guessing this was suicide by cop.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

FearfulJesuit

• Bay Watcher
  • True neoliberalism has never been tried
    • View Profile
Re: FJ's American Politics Megathread Two: DUODECIM Dies Donec Finis Venerit
« Reply #2761 on: October 05, 2013, 01:58:19 am »

Twelve days left. No debt ceiling deal in sight.  :-\

@Footjob, you can microwave most grains I've tried pretty easily through the microwave, even if they aren't packaged for it.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2762 on: October 05, 2013, 02:42:40 am »

You guys better sort your shit out. This game of chicken is getting silly... Well sillier.

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2763 on: October 05, 2013, 03:14:15 pm »

What's disturbed me is that one of the methods they're trying to do to for a clean CR bill to come to the house floor, won't actually work until October 14th, if it works at all.

So they'd literally have 2 days left to vote on a budget, AND to raise the debt ceiling.
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

Hotfire90

Re: FJ's American Politics Megathread Two: QUATTUORDECIM Dies Donec Finis Venerit
« Reply #2764 on: October 05, 2013, 03:36:13 pm »

« Last Edit: July 22, 2014, 04:57:46 pm by Hotfire90 »

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2765 on: October 05, 2013, 03:52:02 pm »

Police now gets Military grade Vehicles.
US police obtaining military vehicles to aid hunt for criminals.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8R6eQoKCpA0

You picked up a link from Fox News that only pulls the story from the far more interesting Dallas Observer:

Quote from: The Big O
OK. Pretty cool. But let's back up for a moment. There's a very glaring, very fundamental question we haven't yet addressed: Why in holy hell does Dallas County need an armored military vehicle built to withstand a minor apocalypse?

The underlying reason seems to be that military trucks are fucking cool, but no one's actually saying that. The sheriff's office is touting it as a tool that will help them better serve warrants.

"Having a tactical vehicle will not only provide warrants execution with the equipment to assist in performing their jobs but will provide an overall safety arch," Chief Deputy Marlin Suell wrote to commissioners.

Because there's no telling when North Texas might descend into sectarian warfare and start planting IEDs along Riverfront Boulevard.

Also, nothing new or unexpected.  Police departments around the country have been picking up slightly-used armored cars for nearly nothing for twenty years, since the DoD winds up with craploads of them that modernization and scalebacks render unnecessary.

It is part of a very disturbing trend of police thinking they need military scale equipment though, especially in this case where they don't even pretend its for the SWAT department or something, but that you need a 19 ton truck tearing up the roads and getting three miles a gallon to deliver warrant notices.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2766 on: October 06, 2013, 11:44:44 am »

Is the shutdown -still- going? This is getting depressing.

Anyone hear any news re: the debt ceiling, clean CR?
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #2767 on: October 06, 2013, 12:15:14 pm »

Is the shutdown -still- going? This is getting depressing.
"(Reuters) - U.S. House of Representatives Speaker John Boehner said on Sunday that there is "no way" Republican lawmakers will agree to a measure to raise the nation's debt ceiling unless it includes conditions to rein in deficit spending."

Repubs want to cut down government overspending; risking crashing the stockmarket and world economy whilst doing so as the democrats and Obama have stated they will not compromise.
Immovable object meet unstoppable force.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #2768 on: October 06, 2013, 12:23:01 pm »

251 hours remain...
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Mrhappyface

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2769 on: October 06, 2013, 01:32:46 pm »

Goddamit, the commissary is still closed! I hope they make a decision soon. It is tough to be an anglo in this day and age.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: October 06, 2013, 01:56:22 pm by Mrhappyface »
This is Dwarf Fortress. Where torture, enslavement, and murder are not only tolerable hobbies, but considered dwarfdatory.

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #2770 on: October 06, 2013, 02:01:35 pm »

Democrats and moderate (Read: Senate) Republicans are quickly coming to agreement that Ted Cruz is the source of all evil in the world and most evil in the world respectively. Cruz says he's being attacked because he's winning and right. It seems increasingly likely the Tea Party will attack Reps who support an end to the shutdown. Boehner claims a Clean CR bill would not pass, against most Political observers. The Republican running for Virginia Governor, where 30% of the economy comes from the Feds, is studiously attempting to isolate himself the national republicans, even leaving a gala when Ted Cruz stood up to talk.

I think it is increasingly likely some have so totally abandoned reality they actually believe they can win. Just like the election, reality doesn't need to be accepted until the deadlines pass and you lose, and sometimes not even then. It is up to the old establishment to stand up and rein them in, which they have so far been unwilling to do, but as we get closer they will be forced to or suffer the consequences.

Also, appearantly there is more then 1 Republican Representative named King, which is the sorta thing I think I should've known.

EDIT: New poll says Democrats will re-take house. They would win 17 seats in a mid-term year, (Traditionally a time of low turnout for democrats) exactly the number needed. That's impressive, and more then any party has lost in 1 election.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2013, 02:13:22 pm by misko27 »
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2771 on: October 06, 2013, 02:44:04 pm »

I think it is increasingly likely some have so totally abandoned reality they actually believe they can win. Just like the election, reality doesn't need to be accepted until the deadlines pass and you lose, and sometimes not even then.

The thing is, the wing of the Republican party driving the continuation of the shutdown haven't really come up with a coherent idea of what "winning" would mean to them.  As absolutely everyone knows, this all started because they (ultimately Speaker Boehner under pressure) refused to let a budget Continuing Resolution bill pass the House unless it included provisions to stop the implementation of the ACA, even though that was materially impossible because of how laws actually work.

Within 36 hours they started getting violently mad whenever anyone asked them about why they shut down the government to stop Obamacare and started insisting the whole thing was about reducing government spending, because they seem to think the American populace have the memory of goldfish.  Suddenly it was President Obama who pulled the plug in the first place and the shutdown hasn't ended because he's refused to pass any of the piecemeal spending bills the Republicans have been passing... after the shutdown began.

And if that complete flip into time-traveling causality makes any sense to you, congratulations you have what it takes to be a member of the Tea Party Caucus.

Now they don't even seem to be holding onto that substantive a message, and the continuing standoff is about something like weaning the American people off of government spending or some nonsense, or their way of proving Obama hates pandas and cancer patients, or pretty just to prove they really run the show.  Which kinda sense, as best I can tell their real demand is that the Republican Party be retroactively declared winners of the 2012 election.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #2772 on: October 06, 2013, 02:55:38 pm »

Silly Americans. Can't even do a decent governmental crisis.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #2773 on: October 06, 2013, 03:13:30 pm »

EDIT: New poll says Democrats will re-take house. They would win 17 seats in a mid-term year, (Traditionally a time of low turnout for democrats) exactly the number needed. That's impressive, and more then any party has lost in 1 election.
Not that surprising. I don't know about you guys, but regardless of whom I vote for, I plan to be voting against the Republicans forever at this point.
Which kinda sense, as best I can tell their real demand is that the Republican Party be retroactively declared winners of the 2012 election.
This is the real issue here. They're not just going to fail because they're extreme far-right lunatics who would rather destroy America than compromise on one of their principles once, they're going to fail because they're sore losers.

Fortunately, I think we might soon see a fair trade for getting this all sorted out.
Silly Americans. Can't even do a decent governmental crisis.
Don't worry, you'll get your turn soon after October 17th.
No Gods, No Masters.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #2774 on: October 06, 2013, 03:19:58 pm »

Better get those emergency crops growing. Potato currency is best currency.
Pages: 1 ... 183 184 [185] 186 187 ... 667