Michelle Bachmann
- 13 (12%)
Chris Christie
- 23 (21.3%)
Rand Paul
- 49 (45.4%)

Total Members Voted: 107

Pages: 1 ... 131 132 [133] 134 135 ... 667

Author Topic: Bay12 Election Night Watch Party  (Read 818941 times)

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
Re: FearfulJesuit's American Politics Megathread Two: Election Boogaloo
« Reply #1980 on: September 15, 2013, 11:53:55 am »

You'd reject Germany on the basis of organized crime but not Japan?
It's because Yakuza got style, man. German organsied crime is by-the-numbers, efficient, and boring.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1981 on: September 15, 2013, 11:58:50 am »

There is no truer form of justice than allowing poor people to die in the streets.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #1982 on: September 15, 2013, 12:02:30 pm »

There is no truer form of justice than allowing poor people to die in the streets.
It's for their own good, of course. If you can't stand on your own rugged individualism, clearly you are better off dead.
You'd reject Germany on the basis of organized crime but not Japan?
It's because Yakuza got style, man. German organsied crime is by-the-numbers, efficient, and boring.
I have to appreciate the Yakuza because of how open they are about everything they do. It's strangely refreshing compared to Western organized crime.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

GreatJustice

• Bay Watcher
  • ☭The adventure continues (refresh)☭
    • View Profile
« Reply #1983 on: September 15, 2013, 12:18:36 pm »

Who "allows" poor people to die in the streets?
The person supporting regenerating health, when asked why you can see when shot in the eye justified it as 'you put on an eyepatch'. When asked what happens when you are then shot in the other eye, he said that you put an eyepatch on that eye. When asked how you'd be able to see, he said that your first eye would have healed by then.

Professional Bridge Toll Collector?

Ross Vernal

• Bay Watcher
  • Hilarity ensues.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1984 on: September 15, 2013, 12:30:32 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

My policy towards anyone stupid and evil enough to claim taxation is force and theft is that they are invariably and indubitably complete fucking assholes. The argument is not only wrong, but stupid. It's not armed theft. Nobody is putting a gun to your head and forcing you to use roads or any of the other benefits in society you take for granted.  It's like "Oh, so you feel entitled to clean water, clean food, standard and accurate measurements, protection from fire and police, roads, an education, and all of that, but you don't want to pay? TOUGH SHIT, BITCH, NO MAN IS AN ISLAND, IF YOU WANNA PLAY YOU GOTTA PAY."

"People need to be fed, medicated, educated, clothed, and sheltered."

Damn right. Fuck your "moral credit" and other waffles about how you don't actually want to do it until and unless you feel like it, they NEED these things. I don't give a shit if it hurts your precious little feefees because the money you totally swear you would have donated to the poor was taken as part of your participation fees for society.

I honestly do not give a single solitary fuck about HOW it gets done. The government just happens to be the most efficient; if someone can seriously propose a solution that will help at least the same number of those people who legitimately need help, provide at least the same amount of effective assistance to those people, get the help to them at least as quickly, and is at least as certain to accomplish these goals, I'll be all ears.

Saying "free market" or "charity" isn't a plan. It's a daydream.

So yeah, until someone gets around to that, I'll continue to regard Libertarians as either:
a) People who are all for legalized weed and prostitution, but who think children are being too grabby with the whole "wanting to eat" thing
b) The rich version of anarchists
c) Both

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1985 on: September 15, 2013, 12:32:19 pm »

I'd say that's just a difference in the way people view morality. I can't speak for conservatives, but libertarians would argue that there is a very huge difference between doing something virtuous, and forcing other people to be virtuous through legislation, for a very long list of reasons. It can be at least partially summarized by that old quote from Penn Jillette, though;
There's still a level of disconnect from the reality. This behaviour assumes that if I'm virtuous, everyone else will be too.
For example, there's also a huge difference between not killing or stealing due to personal moral code, and not doing it because of the fear of punishment. Still, it hardly means we don't need law.
Both instances are supposed to cull douchebagerry, which IMO is unavoidable in any society outside utopias.

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #1986 on: September 15, 2013, 12:57:16 pm »

That quote makes me wonder how Americans pay taxes.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #1987 on: September 15, 2013, 01:06:01 pm »

There is a relevant point to be made in that you have to do your own taxes in America, and a lot of our tax programs are regressive, thus the hatred towards taxation in full that arises amongst Americans. If the process were automated and the taxation more progressive, this attitude would not be so self-perpetuating.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

GreatJustice

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1988 on: September 15, 2013, 01:16:09 pm »

My policy towards anyone stupid and evil enough to claim taxation is force and theft is that they are invariably and indubitably complete fucking assholes. The argument is not only wrong, but stupid. It's not armed theft. Nobody is putting a gun to your head and forcing you to use roads or any of the other benefits in society you take for granted.  It's like "Oh, so you feel entitled to clean water, clean food, standard and accurate measurements, protection from fire and police, roads, an education, and all of that, but you don't want to pay? TOUGH SHIT, BITCH, NO MAN IS AN ISLAND, IF YOU WANNA PLAY YOU GOTTA PAY."

Uh, but someone puts a gun to your head to make you pay for these services, which may very well exist with or without extortion, and quite often the "benefits" have a bunch of downsides too. If a man breaks your legs and gives you a wheelchair, is he entitled to talk about how moral he is, because "Without me, you wouldn't even be able to get around!", or a gangster who burns your house down but leaves you a briefcase of cash, saying "I'm not forcing you to use this money or anything, but if you use it you implicitly agree that what I did was moral and just"? Hell, even if the exchange is more equitable, I don't think anyone would argue that it's moral if someone steals your wallet each morning and buys you groceries with the cash.

Damn right. Fuck your "moral credit" and other waffles about how you don't actually want to do it until and unless you feel like it, they NEED these things. I don't give a shit if it hurts your precious little feefees because the money you totally swear you would have donated to the poor was taken as part of your participation fees for society.
Because the welfare state has done such a great job so far in ending poverty.
I honestly do not give a single solitary fuck about HOW it gets done. The government just happens to be the most efficient; if someone can seriously propose a solution that will help at least the same number of those people who legitimately need help, provide at least the same amount of effective assistance to those people, get the help to them at least as quickly, and is at least as certain to accomplish these goals, I'll be all ears.
Let's murder anyone with assets over a set value and give them to the poorest people. That ought to work wonders.
Saying "free market" or "charity" isn't a plan. It's a daydream.
"Plans" have a tendency to go nowhere good. There were plenty of ways with which a person in the past could pull themselves out of poverty with no government intervention whatsoever, the prime example being mutual aid societies. People can be creative and, when not constrained by the boundaries of regulations or by the existence of welfare systems, can deal with poverty even when it isn't being eroded by technological progress and growth in overall wealth. But these solutions have a tendency to be regulated out of existence or destroyed and replaced.

I'd say that's just a difference in the way people view morality. I can't speak for conservatives, but libertarians would argue that there is a very huge difference between doing something virtuous, and forcing other people to be virtuous through legislation, for a very long list of reasons. It can be at least partially summarized by that old quote from Penn Jillette, though;
There's still a level of disconnect from the reality. This behaviour assumes that if I'm virtuous, everyone else will be too.
For example, there's also a huge difference between not killing or stealing due to personal moral code, and not doing it because of the fear of punishment. Still, it hardly means we don't need law.
Both instances are supposed to cull douchebagerry, which IMO is unavoidable in any society outside utopias.

Yet the fact of the matter is that most people are moral. If that isn't the case, how exactly is a government, elected by the majority of these immoral people and composed of people who tend to desire power and control over all else, going to be better? At any rate, if most people were criminals then obviously laws against criminals would be impossible.

There is a relevant point to be made in that you have to do your own taxes in America, and a lot of our tax programs are regressive, thus the hatred towards taxation in full that arises amongst Americans. If the process were automated and the taxation more progressive, this attitude would not be so self-perpetuating.

No tax system can truly be "progressive" as well as fair in any real sense. With income taxes especially, the people who get taxed the most aren't the sort of people who deserve to get taxed the most, they're (A) entrepreneurs who put everything on the line when they start up and (B) people with irregular yearly incomes.
The person supporting regenerating health, when asked why you can see when shot in the eye justified it as 'you put on an eyepatch'. When asked what happens when you are then shot in the other eye, he said that you put an eyepatch on that eye. When asked how you'd be able to see, he said that your first eye would have healed by then.

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1989 on: September 15, 2013, 01:29:00 pm »

The argument is utilitarian. The ideal of freedom means less to a society than none of the members dying or suffering.
The laws are made by the majority of moral people(to follow your train of thought) to control the minority of douchebags.
Redistribution of wealth is not the same as killing you and taking your money. On the other hand, not parting with your money is actually killing people(the poor).
Etc, etc.

GreatJustice

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1990 on: September 15, 2013, 01:44:54 pm »

But in this case, the minority of those who wouldn't do anything to help the poor aren't causing any direct harm. If they're making their money justly through free exchange, they already create value/wealth and indirectly help the poor to some extent, even if they refuse to do so directly. If the majority of people are still kind and virtuous, then the state of the poor will increase regardless of whether the minority is involuntarily forced to support them. Inversely, a minority of robbers and killers directly harm everyone else, hence why they aren't allowed to rob and kill.

But besides that, the poor in modern, semi-capitalistic, industrialized societies generally don't have to worry about actually starving. Most poor people even in America would tend to have things like a home, heating, plumbing, food, and other things that such poor people three hundred years ago wouldn't have even considered. As wealth increases, furthermore, the ability and willingness of those better off to support the poor increases. Furthermore, unlike with wealth redistribution, this method actually results in wealth being created rather than simply shuffled about and lost.

Ross Vernal

• Bay Watcher
  • Hilarity ensues.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1991 on: September 15, 2013, 01:56:25 pm »

Uh, but someone puts a gun to your head

Nobody is putting a gun to your head and forcing you to use roads or any of the other benefits in society you take for granted.

Your argument isn't making sense. I'll explain what I read it as, and you can correct me, because I'm pretty sure I don't get what you're saying.

"Because the services and benefits I take for granted can hypothetically be produced by someone else, and because it's not wonderful and perfect, it is immoral for the entity providing these goods and services to expect payment. Indeed, such a notion as paying for services that you use is akin to being crippled or having your house burned down."

Nah, man. If you live in an apartment, the landlord isn't showing up at gunpoint, demanding your rent or else you get shot. (If that is the case, move immediately.)  He's not acting in some strange and immoral fashion by requiring that your relationship is mutually beneficial, and should you argue that you shouldn't have to be forced to pay rent because you don't like the paint and there are other landlords, he'll laugh in your face.

You will never pay back the government the money it would take to pave the road from your house to your place of employment, much less the education you received. I have absolutely no problem with investing in my country.  I am quite willing to agree that the tax code needs work, because the burden has been shifted away from those who receive the most benefits from their participation in society, but I'm not going to leap to the conclusion that TAXES ARE EVIL THEFT.

Because the welfare state has done such a great job so far in ending poverty.

It's done better than individuals and charities.

Let's murder anyone with assets over a set value and give them to the poorest people. That ought to work wonders.

If you're going to distort and exaggerate my stance, I will do the same to yours.

"Let them eat cake."

"Plans" have a tendency to go nowhere good. There were plenty of ways with which a person in the past could pull themselves out of poverty with no government intervention whatsoever, the prime example being mutual aid societies.

It almost sounds as though you are talking about a plan, but you're not quite there yet. Elaborate this plan. As suggested, I am perfectly willing to listen to your equivalent alternate solution; if you can actually convince me that it meets the requirements, I'll include it in the list of possible solutions.

People can be creative and, when not constrained by the boundaries of regulations or by the existence of welfare systems, can deal with poverty even when it isn't being eroded by technological progress and growth in overall wealth. But these solutions have a tendency to be regulated out of existence or destroyed and replaced.

I forgot, nobody ever starved to death in the past; starving to death was invented as part of the New Deal. Damn lazy people, feeling entitled to death. In this country, you have to EARN your death; there's so many hard-working people just begging for death that if we just allowed people to die, they wouldn't appreciate it.

And yeah, regulations are such a drag. I mean, "fire code", "food safety standards", and other ridiculous nonsense. I mean, it's not like the good and noble people and corporations would ever allow fire to burn down a whole fucking factory while people jump to their death, or sell embalmed beef to the army, serve boiling hot coffee to patrons, gamble with your money in securities, sell cars that explode into flames when rear-ended at low speeds, or anything like that.

Oh, wait, I forgot, all of those things actually happened and we passed laws to stop that from happening again. Aside from the, y'know, gambling with your money thing, and we can all see how well that turned out.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1992 on: September 15, 2013, 02:15:55 pm »

I think it’s O.K. to violate people’s rights (e.g. through taxation) if the result is that you protect people’s rights to some greater extent (e.g. through police, courts, the military). But it’s not obvious to me that the Earth being hit by an asteroid (or, say, someone being hit by lightning or a falling tree) violates anyone’s rights; if that’s so, then I’m not sure I can justify preventing it through taxation

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1993 on: September 15, 2013, 03:12:09 pm »

Yet the fact of the matter is that most people are moral. If that isn't the case, how exactly is a government, elected by the majority of these immoral people and composed of people who tend to desire power and control over all else, going to be better? At any rate, if most people were criminals then obviously laws against criminals would be impossible.
You appear to have a misunderstanding of how government, democracy in particular, works. You do NOT have to be moral yourself to support moral laws. You just have to have a vested interest in things not happening to you. Take murder - even in a society of people who want to murder whoever they want, thoroughly evil murder-folk, there would still be an incredibly strong incentive to legislate against murder - immorality tends to benefit us most when we're the only one doing it, and we're often better off if no one else does it at all (even if it prevents us from doing what we want in the process). You can have a fully functional democracy based on naked self interest - it might not be great, but it would legislate a lot of "moral" activity that no one actually wants to follow personally. That's part of what makes democracy and government so great!

Government welfare isn't about compassion. (although it is compassionate, despite what the libertarians argue) But more importantly, most people benefit (or at least potentially) from living in a society where strong safety nets exist.

Question, though: Would you consider it moral to pass a law against murder, ever?
« Last Edit: September 15, 2013, 03:27:30 pm by GlyphGryph »

GreatJustice

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1994 on: September 15, 2013, 03:56:05 pm »

Your argument isn't making sense. I'll explain what I read it as, and you can correct me, because I'm pretty sure I don't get what you're saying.

"Because the services and benefits I take for granted can hypothetically be produced by someone else, and because it's not wonderful and perfect, it is immoral for the entity providing these goods and services to expect payment. Indeed, such a notion as paying for services that you use is akin to being crippled or having your house burned down."

The problem isn't charging payment for goods and services, the problem is that you can't get them from anywhere else and you have no choice in the matter. If a guy gives me his computer, he can't realistically demand that I pay for the computer I didn't ask for and furthermore didn't need, simply because he gave it to me. The government takes a person's money and uses it to maintain roads, but (A) only a fraction of this money actually goes towards such things rather than, say, killing children in foreign countries with drones, and (B) these services are monopolized by the government and may very well be of poorer quality/quantity than what would otherwise exist.

Nah, man. If you live in an apartment, the landlord isn't showing up at gunpoint, demanding your rent or else you get shot. (If that is the case, move immediately.)  He's not acting in some strange and immoral fashion by requiring that your relationship is mutually beneficial, and should you argue that you shouldn't have to be forced to pay rent because you don't like the paint and there are other landlords, he'll laugh in your face.

Generally speaking, you agree to certain terms with a landlord beforehand, and they won't demolish/remake the house, arbitrarily change the conditions, or demand you start buying x, y, and z products from the local grocery store.

You will never pay back the government the money it would take to pave the road from your house to your place of employment, much less the education you received. I have absolutely no problem with investing in my country.  I am quite willing to agree that the tax code needs work, because the burden has been shifted away from those who receive the most benefits from their participation in society, but I'm not going to leap to the conclusion that TAXES ARE EVIL THEFT.

But all the money that the government took could have gone to any number of other things. Just because they did provide people with roads, educations, etc with some of the money doesn't mean those things wouldn't exist, possibly in an even better state, had they not done so. By this vein of logic, an old Soviet citizen could argue that ending the old system wouldn't work because the shoe factories are owned by the government, therefore if it wasn't for the government there would be no shoes.

It's done better than individuals and charities.

Has it?

If you're going to distort and exaggerate my stance, I will do the same to yours.

Let me go back to your original quote:
I honestly do not give a single solitary fuck about HOW it gets done

So the ends justify the means. Killing a certain amount of people with enough stuff and giving it to the poor would be a very quick and very straightforward method to achieve this. If you just have some sort of dislike towards killing, you can replace it with "imprisoning" or even "confiscating 99% of their assets".

It almost sounds as though you are talking about a plan, but you're not quite there yet. Elaborate this plan. As suggested, I am perfectly willing to listen to your equivalent alternate solution; if you can actually convince me that it meets the requirements, I'll include it in the list of possible solutions.

What, mutual aid? It was a "system" in the late 19th to early 20th century in which poor people, especially with similar ethnic backgrounds or ideological views, pooled their money for certain things and helped each other out in bad times (and if you've ever been low on money, you know how annoying it is to be a few hundred bucks short of the bills because something broke at the wrong time). Since they had a fair amount of money when pooled, they tended to save costs by, for example, hiring a lodge doctor to treat members. Because no one involved wanted a few bums to increase costs by living off of the backs of the other members, they tended to have moral codes that members were required to follow, preventing abuse of the system. They furthermore often opened up hospitals and operated pseudo-insurance companies, though they charged in such a way as to benefit members of the societies first and foremost.

I forgot, nobody ever starved to death in the past; starving to death was invented as part of the New Deal. Damn lazy people, feeling entitled to death. In this country, you have to EARN your death; there's so many hard-working people just begging for death that if we just allowed people to die, they wouldn't appreciate it.
...Yet after the industrial revolution, people tended to starve to death a lot less than before it, government intervention or not. Furthermore, almost all of the huge examples of mass starvation were either intention or unintentional attempts by the government to redistribute wealth. The fare of the poor American man in pre-New Deal America was leaps and bounds above that of a Ukrainian under Stalin, or just about anyone during the Great Leap Forward.

And yeah, regulations are such a drag. I mean, "fire code", "food safety standards", and other ridiculous nonsense.
Let's see, then:

I mean, it's not like the good and noble people and corporations would ever allow fire to burn down a whole fucking factory while people jump to their death,

If you're talking about the same incident I'm thinking of, the primary issue was that the owners bought a loft rather than a factory to avoid the high costs and regulations that existed regarding factories of the time, since they were immigrants themselves and couldn't afford high costs. They worked in the same building themselves, and their own sister was one of the workers at the factory, so obviously they weren't simply cold-hearted monsters with no care for safety. The fire was tragic, but it was a function of New York City's ridiculous laws relating to land and zoning, the effects of which still exist today (hence why NYC rent is so high).

or sell embalmed beef to the army,
The result of cronyism between the US government and a handful of well connected corporations. Cronyism is still very much alive and well, so I don't see what regulations did to stop it.

serve boiling hot coffee to patrons,
Those corporate monsters! How dare they sell hot coffee to innocent and unsuspecting customers! They should be required to sell coffee at room temperature!

gamble with your money in securities,
Oh man, the financial market is so incredibly messed up by constant interventions by the Treasury and the Federal Reserve that I can't even take anyone seriously when they try to claim that it is even close to being "unregulated".
sell cars that explode into flames when rear-ended at low speeds,

...Which was confirmed by later studies to be, in fact, complete and utter nonsense. Unless you're referring to something other than the Ford Pinto.

I think it’s O.K. to violate people’s rights (e.g. through taxation) if the result is that you protect people’s rights to some greater extent (e.g. through police, courts, the military). But it’s not obvious to me that the Earth being hit by an asteroid (or, say, someone being hit by lightning or a falling tree) violates anyone’s rights; if that’s so, then I’m not sure I can justify preventing it through taxation

Nah, it's still violating people's rights even if its for things like courts and so on, they're just a bit easier to justify as a "necessary evil". Mind, you could argue that you don't even need that, but that's an entirely different argument that we shouldn't even get into right now.

You appear to have a misunderstanding of how government, democracy in particular, works. You do NOT have to be moral yourself to support moral laws. You just have to have a vested interest in things not happening to you. Take murder - even in a society of people who want to murder whoever they want, thoroughly evil murder-folk, there would still be an incredibly strong incentive to legislate against murder - immorality tends to benefit us most when we're the only one doing it, and we're often better off if no one else does it at all (even if it prevents us from doing what we want in the process). You can have a fully functional democracy based on naked self interest - it might not be great, but it would legislate a lot of "moral" activity that no one actually wants to follow personally. That's part of what makes democracy and government so great!

Okay, but that misses the issue that the government itself isn't going to be composed of moral people. As you say, it's easier to be a murderer or robber if no one else is, so obviously the easiest thing for those in government to do is to murder and rob people, and yet convince the victims that it isn't murder or robbery at all, and that resistance to such murder and robbery is actually a crime in of itself. There is nothing about the government that makes it any better of a "judge" than anyone else, except it has such absolute power over others that those within it can commit crimes that others cannot. So even if you're correct, then the factors that would make immoral murderers and robbers legislate against murder and robbery would cause them to scale back on such actions even without those laws.
Government welfare isn't about compassion. (although it is compassionate, despite what the libertarians argue) But more importantly, most people benefit (or at least potentially) from living in a society where strong safety nets exist.

Most people don't benefit, because such safety nets are illusory and don't actually improve the lives of those they're supposed to. Okay, you can apply to some bureaucrat to get benefits if something bad happens, but (A) Similar benefits could otherwise be acquired elsewhere and (B) At the end of the day, the "moral" person who lives within their means and tries to work hard to avoid burdening everyone else with their problems gains far less than the person who intentionally exploits the system for their own benefit. They furthermore create dependency on such systems, with all the problems that entails.

Question, though: Would you consider it moral to pass a law against murder, ever?

It would be somewhat besides the point. Morality isn't determined by laws.

Pages: 1 ... 131 132 [133] 134 135 ... 667