Michelle Bachmann
- 13 (12%)
Chris Christie
- 23 (21.3%)
Rand Paul
- 49 (45.4%)

Total Members Voted: 107

Pages: 1 ... 113 114 [115] 116 117 ... 667

Author Topic: Bay12 Election Night Watch Party  (Read 819240 times)

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
Re: FearfulJesuit's American Politics Megathread Two: Election Boogaloo
« Reply #1710 on: July 25, 2013, 09:08:05 am »

Not even close to being dead. If the 12 abstainers had not abstained this probably would have passed.

Good to see that at least half of Congress aren't always mindless party drones.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #1711 on: July 25, 2013, 08:17:51 pm »

Not even close to being dead. If the 12 abstainers had not abstained this probably would have passed.

Good to see that at least half of Congress aren't always mindless party drones.
I kept seeing that, "If the 12 abstainers had voted". So I decided to take a look. First off, they are not abstainers, they are No Votes. Different. That includes "Busy", "Sick", and "Didn't bother showing up that day" as reasons. Abstention can be a reason, or it could equally be they fell asleep somewhere (Congress is pretty old).

So, I broke down the 12. 6 Democrats, and 6 Republicans. The Democrats are Beatty, Bustos, Horsford, McCarthy (NY), Negrete McLeod, and Pallone, while the republicans are Barletta, Campbell, Coble, Herrera Buetler, Rokita, and Schock. Not exactly big names.

NameAffliationOpinion of NSA
BarlettaRepublicanSupports
BeattyDemocratAgainst
BustosDemocratSupports
CampbellRepublicanAgainst
CobleRepublicanMiddling
Herrera BuetlerRepublicanSupports
HorsfordDemocratAgainst
McCarthy (NY)DemocratUnknown/Doesn't care
Negrete McLeadDemocratUnknown/Doesn't care
PalloneDemocratAgainst
RokitaRepublicanAgainst
SchockRepublicanSupports
Notably, twodon't even vote on this sorta thing ever. Just simply have better things to do. In addition, this was a House vote, and the House has shown very little restraint on voting however they want, ignoring their leadership it's curious to see how the Senate, which obeys  their leadership more but also is more liberal, might have acted. If Obama Veto'd it, it would have zero chance.

If they went out of their way to make a nuanced version that could draw the support of people in the middle of the issue and weaken Obama's argument that the current amendment was "A blunt tool" It might have passed. As it was it went the way of Gun Control, no patience for a solution leads to no solution at all.

Anyway, can I talk about Weiner now? I've been seeing the funniest posters people have made.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

Mictlantecuhtli

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinning God of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #1712 on: July 25, 2013, 09:03:41 pm »

I have to reveal something.. I am the real Carlos Danger. Moustache and all.
I am surrounded by flesh and bone, I am a temple of living. Maybe I'll maybe my life away.

Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth,
Card-carrying Liberaltarian

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #1713 on: July 26, 2013, 12:45:56 am »

No, I am the real Carlos Danger. Pixellised dong and all.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Morrigi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Cthulhu 2016! No lives matter! No more years! Awaken that which slumbers in the deep!

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1716 on: August 03, 2013, 01:41:11 pm »

American embassies closing down temporarily all over the map, British and German embassies closing down in Yemen. Terrorisming is afoot.
I wonder how that happened...
Isn't it 'precautionary'?  I guess it is easier and cheaper to close everything down instead of increasing security/surveillance.
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1717 on: August 03, 2013, 02:17:02 pm »

Misko, they ARE trying to draft a new law. That vote? That vote that was almost surprisingly successful?

Not really much more than an attempt to shift the overton window, in my opinion. And it did it amazingly well, by virtue of how much support it got.

Morrigi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1718 on: August 03, 2013, 02:29:46 pm »

Again @Misko, I take issue with your insinuation that gun control is a solution when in fact those illegally owning guns would be almost entirely unaffected. This has been proven to be true in recent American history, just as Prohibition was proven to have the opposite effect as intended.

Cthulhu 2016! No lives matter! No more years! Awaken that which slumbers in the deep!

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #1719 on: August 03, 2013, 03:33:00 pm »

Again @Misko, I take issue with your insinuation that gun control is a solution when in fact those illegally owning guns would be almost entirely unaffected. This has been proven to be true in recent American history, just as Prohibition was proven to have the opposite effect as intended.

lol. Anyway Yes, but it's significantly easier to brew alcohol then smelt guns. And harder to hide. And people can and are addicted to alcohol. and there are very few to no western countries where a ban on alcohol is in place. But more over I was speaking of the politics of it, how and why it didn't pass.

American embassies closing down temporarily all over the map, British and German embassies closing down in Yemen. Terrorisming is afoot.
Mmm. Very bothersome. What, I wonder, is going on there? Members of Congress have been briefed, and Peter King of the Counter-terrorism sub-committee has emphasized the specificity of the threat, though he gave no details.

Anyway a couple days ago I saw a poster that said "Why Let a small part of a picture distract you from a man big on Accomplishments? WIENER FOR MAYOR. Straight Shooter, Hard-on Crime, Nothing to hide, etc."
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1720 on: August 05, 2013, 04:48:13 pm »

You know... I thought I liked McCain before his bid for presidency.  He has so far proved that he was not deserving of that positive thought.

Maybe he is turning back to sanity?.
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

Mrhappyface

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1721 on: August 05, 2013, 04:51:12 pm »

Seems rather ironic considering the fact that the Republicans were the most ardent supporters of the Patriot Act. Oh well, times change.
This is Dwarf Fortress. Where torture, enslavement, and murder are not only tolerable hobbies, but considered dwarfdatory.

kaenneth

• Bay Watcher
  • Catching fish
    • View Profile
    • Terrible Web Site
« Reply #1722 on: August 05, 2013, 04:52:23 pm »

"I don't live in poverty, but sometimes I get the feeling that my nation has been conquered by imperialist foreigners. Our government and our media regularly tell us that the great threats to our nation are immigrants, religious zealots, and gun owners. Which I find strange, as this country was founded by a group of immigrant religious zealots with guns."

Quote from: Karnewarrior
Jeeze. Any time I want to be sigged I may as well just post in this thread.
Quote from: Darvi
That is an application of trigonometry that never occurred to me.
Quote from: PTTG??
I'm getting cake.
Don't tell anyone that you can see their shadows. If they hear you telling anyone, if you let them know that you know of them, they will get you.

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nadaka.us
« Reply #1723 on: August 05, 2013, 04:58:11 pm »

You know... I thought I liked McCain before his bid for presidency.  He has so far proved that he was not deserving of that positive thought.

Maybe he is turning back to sanity?.

Its just an act. Just like Obama's appeal to hope and change. The system is rigged and there is nothing anyone can do about it, not until it breaks down completely, and that will likely just be used as an excuse to throw out the illusions of liberty and justice to which we futilely keep trying to cling.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2013, 05:00:22 pm by Nadaka »
Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't comin' back...
I don't care cause I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me...

I turned myself into a monster, to fight against the monsters of the world.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #1724 on: August 05, 2013, 05:02:32 pm »

"I don't live in poverty, but sometimes I get the feeling that my nation has been conquered by imperialist foreigners. Our government and our media regularly tell us that the great threats to our nation are immigrants, religious zealots, and gun owners. Which I find strange, as this country was founded by a group of immigrant religious zealots with guns."
... immigration isn't exactly the word I'd use for what the Europeans did, since immigration doesn't usually involve wide scale murder or relocating the native population. Nor did most of them come over due to religious reasons.

There were plenty of guns, though. One out of three! Better than nothing. I guess.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.
Pages: 1 ... 113 114 [115] 116 117 ... 667