Michelle Bachmann
- 13 (12%)
Chris Christie
- 23 (21.3%)
Rand Paul
- 49 (45.4%)

Total Members Voted: 107

Pages: 1 ... 105 106 [107] 108 109 ... 667

Author Topic: Bay12 Election Night Watch Party  (Read 819648 times)

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
Re: FearfulJesuit's American Politics Megathread Two: Election Boogaloo
« Reply #1590 on: June 26, 2013, 11:02:14 am »

2 things....

One - the data was generated by research carried out by the Uni of California/Los Angeles, not any group associated with the UK. Dont shoot the messenger. The UK is actually quite good at protecting the rights of its inhabitants.

Two - only 2 of the many maps require rights to be protected constitutionally.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2013, 11:04:06 am by MonkeyHead »
This is a blank sig.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1591 on: June 26, 2013, 11:07:25 am »

The UK doesn't really have a constitution, so what are they looking at?  The Magna Carta or something?

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #1592 on: June 26, 2013, 11:08:29 am »

The data might have been generated by them, but I don't think they made the maps. Or did they?

1) Information for Belgium, and I assume also for other states, is often wrong.
2) How much education must Primary school teachers complete?
      -Lightblue requires a separate Bachelor degree. In some countries, there's an optional cursus for teaching which can be integrated in your bachelor degree. Hence, not good.
3)The US, and some states, got wildly varying laws depending on the state/province.

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
« Reply #1593 on: June 26, 2013, 11:11:27 am »

The data might have been generated by them, but I don't think they made the maps. Or did they?

1) Information for Belgium, and I assume also for other states, is often wrong.
2) How much education must Primary school teachers complete?
      -Lightblue requires a separate Bachelor degree. In some countries, there's an optional cursus for teaching which can be integrated in your bachelor degree. Hence, not good.
3)The US, and some states, got wildly varying laws depending on the state/province.

With regards 3, hence the "subnational" category in some of the data sets. I do wonder how some of the data is generated for some of the states that are not known to co-operate with things such as this - are some of them "best geusses"?
This is a blank sig.

GreatJustice

• Bay Watcher
  • ☭The adventure continues (refresh)☭
    • View Profile
« Reply #1594 on: June 26, 2013, 11:15:29 am »

Okay, well those maps are nonsense twofold: First, a lot of those "rights" recognized in national constitutions aren't worth the paper they're printed on and will practically never be enforced. Good luck reporting your manager for not supplying you with your "rights" at your job in China or Nigeria. Second, something not being a law != something not existing. Mothers in America can get paid leave, mothers in Canada can get breastfeeding breaks, etc. I'm not even sure what the BBC is trying to imply here.
The person supporting regenerating health, when asked why you can see when shot in the eye justified it as 'you put on an eyepatch'. When asked what happens when you are then shot in the other eye, he said that you put an eyepatch on that eye. When asked how you'd be able to see, he said that your first eye would have healed by then.

Professional Bridge Toll Collector?

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
« Reply #1595 on: June 26, 2013, 11:23:47 am »

Not sure, other than that these things arent protected by law when you might think they were.
This is a blank sig.

palsch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1596 on: June 26, 2013, 11:46:49 am »

The UK doesn't really have a constitution, so what are they looking at?  The Magna Carta or something?
The UK has plenty of sources of constitutional law, which is what matters here. It does not have a single written constitution or higher protection for constitutional law than other law, so constitutional issues can be modified directly by an act of Parliament.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #1597 on: June 26, 2013, 02:55:03 pm »

Okay, well those maps are nonsense twofold: First, a lot of those "rights" recognized in national constitutions aren't worth the paper they're printed on and will practically never be enforced. Good luck reporting your manager for not supplying you with your "rights" at your job in China or Nigeria. Second, something not being a law != something not existing. Mothers in America can get paid leave, mothers in Canada can get breastfeeding breaks, etc. I'm not even sure what the BBC is trying to imply here.
It just looks like a graphical display of the data. Plain.

nwob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1598 on: June 26, 2013, 04:11:27 pm »

The reason why the UK is blue on almost everything, aside from apparently inherent bias from the BBC, is because any law passed by parliament (and many other things) is part of the constitution.  So while the US might have a piece of legislation guaranteeing protection from employment discrimination due to ethnicity, it would not be considered a constitutional protection, whereas that same legislation would be part of the constitution in the UK.

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
« Reply #1599 on: June 26, 2013, 04:39:15 pm »

Sigh. The BBC, by act of law, is not able to have ANY political bias in any of its journalism. Secondly, only 2 of the maps refer to rights protected by constitutional acts - all the others refer to general laws.
This is a blank sig.

PanH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1600 on: June 26, 2013, 04:48:17 pm »

Sigh. The BBC, by act of law, is not able to have ANY political bias in any of its journalism. Secondly, only 2 of the maps refer to rights protected by constitutional acts - all the others refer to general laws.
Some of them are wrong. E.g. I know France and Spain have 18yrs drinking age, yet it's put as 15 to 17.

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
« Reply #1601 on: June 26, 2013, 04:52:56 pm »

Some of them are wrong. E.g. I know France and Spain have 18yrs drinking age, yet it's put as 15 to 17.

Not true - France has no lower legal drinking age, its just that legally they can not sell alcohol to anyone under 18. Though this does go to show that some of the data is innacurate, though the data was not prepared by the BBC, but instead by UCLA, as mentioned earlier in the thread.
This is a blank sig.

nwob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1602 on: June 26, 2013, 04:53:08 pm »

While I admire the job the beeb does in maintaining such, it is near impossible to report something without bias.  On the second point, thank you for correcting me, apparently we just have good legal protection.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #1603 on: June 26, 2013, 04:56:22 pm »

While I admire the job the beeb does in maintaining such, it is near impossible to report something without bias.
Report the unadulterated facts with absolutely no personal interjection or opinion. It's rather easy, excepting for when you have a paycheck.

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
« Reply #1604 on: June 26, 2013, 04:59:43 pm »

While I admire the job the beeb does in maintaining such, it is near impossible to report something without bias.
Report the unadulterated facts with absolutely no personal interjection or opinion. It's rather easy, excepting for when you have a paycheck.

This is actually what it does, and quite well. Simply stating what is known - nothing more.
This is a blank sig.
Pages: 1 ... 105 106 [107] 108 109 ... 667