Michelle Bachmann
- 13 (12%)
Chris Christie
- 23 (21.3%)
Rand Paul
- 49 (45.4%)

Total Members Voted: 107

Pages: 1 ... 22 23 [24] 25 26 ... 667

Author Topic: Bay12 Election Night Watch Party  (Read 819456 times)

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nadaka.us
Re: FearfulJesuit's American Politics Megathread Two: Election Boogaloo
« Reply #345 on: February 27, 2013, 11:05:42 am »

http://yro.slashdot.org/story/13/02/27/0313227/doj-admits-aaron-swartzs-prosecution-was-political

The US "Department of Justice" removes a political threat by intentionally destroying his life until he kills himself.
Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't comin' back...
I don't care cause I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me...

I turned myself into a monster, to fight against the monsters of the world.

FearfulJesuit

• Bay Watcher
  • True neoliberalism has never been tried
    • View Profile
« Reply #346 on: February 27, 2013, 01:54:20 pm »

lolmap

Sorry, that's the only useful comment I have. Which is 746% more useful than that map was.

I'm trying to dig up a 2024/2028 election map based on population projections for the 2020 census, and I can't find one. Does anybody know what the method is that's used is to allot representatives to states?

@Footjob, you can microwave most grains I've tried pretty easily through the microwave, even if they aren't packaged for it.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #347 on: February 27, 2013, 02:24:26 pm »

lolmap

Sorry, that's the only useful comment I have. Which is 746% more useful than that map was.

I'm trying to dig up a 2024/2028 election map based on population projections for the 2020 census, and I can't find one. Does anybody know what the method is that's used is to allot representatives to states?

Well, here's an analysis and projection for 2020 reapportionment based on 2010 census trends.

In short:

Losing 1 seat:
Rhode Island
New York
Pennsylvania
West Virginia
Ohio
Michigan
Illinois
Minnesota

Gaining 1 seat:
California
Oregon
Colorado
Florida
North Carolina

Gaining 3 seats:
Texas

I, for one, welcome our new ten-gallon overlords. (Wait, no I don't.....)

So the lost electoral votes are coming mostly from blue states (though Ohio and Pennsylvania are more swing than blue, and West Virginia is somewhat red at the Presidential level), and the gains are in two blue states (CA, OR), three swing states (CO, NC, FL) and one big honkin' red state (TX). Tiny advantage to Team Red there, but only by 1-2 electoral votes. And the demographic shifts in Texas, combined with the Republican Party's inability to reconcile itself to immigration reform....if they stick with the hardline "build a wall and deport" stance, you might see Texas turn into a swing state, which would be tectonic to the electoral landscape. With Florida becoming a bonafide swing state, Texas was the last great bastion of secure red votes in large number in the Electoral College. You just can't scrape together enough votes from the Midwest and Deep South to pull a hardcore conservative to victory without Tejas. If the Democrats were to run some Hispanic rising star candidate FROM Texas in 2024...

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #348 on: February 27, 2013, 02:39:10 pm »

You just can't scrape together enough votes from the Midwest and Deep South to pull a hardcore conservative to victory without Tejas.
Forget hardcore conservatives, doing the math on 270 says that without Texas the Republicans would have to win everything south of Maryland and Pennsylvania on the East Coast, Nevada on the West, Ohio, Illinois, and one of either California, Washington, Minnesota, Wisconsin, or Michigan. Winning Oregon or New Mexico still results in a Democrat victory, and winning Colorado results in 269-269.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

FearfulJesuit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #349 on: February 27, 2013, 02:42:55 pm »

I'm not entirely sure 2016 is a foregone conclusion, but...man, you have to wonder...

What's for certain is that the Republican primaries will make this year's circus look like child's play.

Are there any other currently red states that look like they could become go swing? I've heard Arizona is next in line.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2013, 02:48:30 pm by FearfulJesuit »

@Footjob, you can microwave most grains I've tried pretty easily through the microwave, even if they aren't packaged for it.

Mictlantecuhtli

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinning God of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #350 on: February 27, 2013, 02:57:12 pm »

Conservative Justices Voice Skepticism on Voting Law Yes, the 1965 Voting Rights Act. You know, that one we had all those marches for.

A central provision of the Voting Rights Act of 1965 may be in peril, judging from tough questioning on Wednesday from the Supreme Court’s more conservative members.

Justice Antonin Scalia called the provision, which requires nine states, mostly in the South, to get federal permission before changing voting procedures, a “perpetuation of racial entitlement.” Chief Justice John G. Roberts Jr. asked a skeptical question about whether people in the South are more racist than those in the North. Justice Anthony M. Kennedy asked how much longer Alabama must live “under the trusteeship of the United States government.”

I couldn't imagine him being any stupider or Right-Wing, but here we go. 'Opposition' to the VRA. Never thought I'd see the day.
I am surrounded by flesh and bone, I am a temple of living. Maybe I'll maybe my life away.

Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth,
Card-carrying Liberaltarian

FearfulJesuit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #351 on: February 27, 2013, 03:01:55 pm »

Hopefully, Clarence Thomas will save the day. It would rather be a WTF? moment if he doesn't.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #352 on: February 27, 2013, 03:02:38 pm »

Hopefully, Clarence Thomas will save the day. It would rather be a WTF? moment if he doesn't.
I don't think you quite understand Justice Clarence Thomas.
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #353 on: February 27, 2013, 03:03:31 pm »

I have a hard time believing that. Arizona has become sort of critical mass of ultra-conservatism of the nativist/Tea Party bent.

Unrelated, I'm suddeny a bit apprehensive about tomorrow and glad I have the day off.*

*Tomorrow is the 20th anniversary of the start of the Branch Davidian siege in Waco, TX. Given the current climate regarding firearms and the BATF....yeah.  :-\

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #354 on: February 27, 2013, 04:05:29 pm »

Ehh. The consensus here, on the census, is that the 2010 Census was vastly undercounting people. The fact is their methods perclude lazy people who don't come to the door, and if someone yell's at them to leave they count it as one. In some areas half didn't respond. I bet the City will prevent that in 2020, so I expect the projections are inaccurate.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

tryrar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #355 on: February 27, 2013, 04:39:05 pm »

Quick question: IIRC there was some controversy surrounding the Puerto Rico statehood vote, but since people haven't really been talking about it anymore, I've not been able to get reliable info on what, if anything, is happening with our prospective 51st state. Anyone have any more recent news than December?
This fort really does sit on the event horizon of madness and catastrophe
No. I suppose there are similarities, but I'm fairly certain angry birds doesn't let me charge into a battalion of knights with a car made of circular saws.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #356 on: February 27, 2013, 04:49:02 pm »

Quick question: IIRC there was some controversy surrounding the Puerto Rico statehood vote, but since people haven't really been talking about it anymore, I've not been able to get reliable info on what, if anything, is happening with our prospective 51st state. Anyone have any more recent news than December?
The New Progressive Party is going to have statehood rallies on March 2nd.

The thing is that there's not much else to do now but wait. Puerto Rico just needs to submit their state constitution and Congress just has to affirm it, then we have 51 states and need to change the flags.
No Gods, No Masters.

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #357 on: February 27, 2013, 05:22:17 pm »

I have a hard time believing that. Arizona has become sort of critical mass of ultra-conservatism of the nativist/Tea Party bent.

Unrelated, I'm suddeny a bit apprehensive about tomorrow and glad I have the day off.*

*Tomorrow is the 20th anniversary of the start of the Branch Davidian siege in Waco, TX. Given the current climate regarding firearms and the BATF....yeah.  :-\

Has anyone been planning anything for the anniversary? I'd hate to see any sorts of trouble coming up out of it, especially of the violent kind. Of course, Waco's only about 50 miles away from me, and my experience with Texas gun culture has been a little disturbing to say the least, so I'm hardly impartial.
Even the avatars expire eventually.

bulborbish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #358 on: February 27, 2013, 10:43:49 pm »

swing state (CO)

It's fair to assume that by 2020 Colorado will be a lean state for the Dems than a swing state. State level politics is already dominated by Democrats, and it doesn't look like that is going to change anytime soon, as Democrats controlled the Gerrymandering in the state. The only question I have, as a Coloradoan, is WHEN we're going to be kicked off the swing state group, not IF we will, though it will be definite by the time expressed in that Map posted earlier.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #359 on: February 28, 2013, 12:21:32 am »

The Burning Revenge of Chris Christie.

Dude should just leave the Republican party and be an independent already. In a state as blue as New Jersey that kind of stand would earn him respect. He's pretty much denounced them in everything but name.
No Gods, No Masters.
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 [24] 25 26 ... 667