Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14

Author Topic: Arms and Armor discussion  (Read 36716 times)

Mlamlah

• Bay Watcher
  • The Androgynous Nerd
    • View Profile
Re: Arms and Armor discussion
« Reply #180 on: February 09, 2013, 06:50:20 pm »

I seem to stand corrected.

Scelly9

• Bay Watcher
  • That crazy long-haired queer liberal communist
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: February 09, 2013, 07:10:51 pm »

PTW
You taste the jug! It is ceramic.
Quote from: Loud Whispers
SUPPORT THE COMMUNIST GAY MOVEMENT!

kerlc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: February 10, 2013, 02:38:32 am »

But the Extend-o-Batons aren't designed to kill. Only incapacitate.

Which is kind of cruel when you think about how every Viking dreams of an honourable death in combat.

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: February 10, 2013, 02:42:23 am »

Which is kind of cruel when you think about how every Viking dreams of an honourable death in combat.
we can always replace them with horseman's picks if you want

kerlc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: February 10, 2013, 02:45:20 am »

Dunno, I'd kind of preffer the crueler option...

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: February 10, 2013, 03:50:42 am »

The mounted riot units usually carry 3 to 4 ft long aluminium batons, painted bright red. I have seen them in use. I was in Cardiff during the 1999 Rugby World cup, and a slightly drunk Australian fan was making suggestive comments about the female officer on the horse and how she liked to "look after it" if you know what I mean, before trying to climb on the horse and dismount the officer. This quite frankly scary rod/staff was produced from a holster mounted behind the saddle, and with one firm clonk on the top of the head, down he went. Granted, its not a sword, but with a bit of effrot a fatal wound to the head should be more than possible.
This is a blank sig.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #186 on: February 10, 2013, 05:56:11 am »

Good gods. The only army in the world where not killing them demoralizes them!

Mlamlah

• Bay Watcher
  • The Androgynous Nerd
    • View Profile
« Reply #187 on: February 10, 2013, 11:16:36 pm »

That kind of reminds me of some of the crazier celtic battle strategies. Like taking off all your clothes and painting your naked body blue and going to battle that way. It's kind of the ultimate insult. "fuck you, i'm not afraid of you, and to prove it i'll leave my balls an open target for you."

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #188 on: February 11, 2013, 10:55:34 am »

That kind of reminds me of some of the crazier celtic battle strategies. Like taking off all your clothes and painting your naked body blue and going to battle that way. It's kind of the ultimate insult. "fuck you, i'm not afraid of you, and to prove it i'll leave my balls an open target for you."
It wasn't really a battle strategy so much as when Winter came around they would roll around being naked and such to prove how tough they were. Then battle shows up, and well, they're already naked, why bother? :P

The Celts were awesome. Don't listen to Roman Historians who say they were barbarians, the Romans didn't find all their torture and massacres barbaric - they found the fact that they did it in the names of their Gods to be barbaric!

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
« Reply #189 on: February 11, 2013, 10:59:25 am »

Vikings had a comparable version to that only they added hallucinogenic mushrooms to the mix increasing the fun factor by 3 folds.

kerlc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #190 on: February 11, 2013, 11:21:37 am »

It wasn't really a battle strategy so much as when Winter came around they would roll around being naked and such to prove how tough they were. Then battle shows up, and well, they're already naked, why bother? :P

The Celts were awesome. Don't listen to Roman Historians who say they were barbarians, the Romans didn't find all their torture and massacres barbaric - they found the fact that they did it in the names of their Gods to be barbaric!
Barbarism is a relative term. Most of the people Roman Historians dubbed "barbarians" had a very rich historic and cultural background along with well-defined societies and management systems were so awesome it made the historians jelly.

Zrk2

• Bay Watcher
  • Emperor of the Damned
    • View Profile
« Reply #191 on: February 11, 2013, 03:02:04 pm »

"Quisque est barbarus alio."
"Everyone is a barbarian to someone."

I read somewhere that the Celts that Caesar fought were actually developing along a path quite similar to that of Rome a couple centuries prior.
He's just keeping up with the Cardassians.

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #192 on: February 11, 2013, 04:06:23 pm »

Eh, barbarian literally meant "not a roman / greek".

Sure, they used it pejoratively, but anything was an excuse. "Oh look at those uncouth barbarians, they use the churned fatty portion of cow milk to cook, instead of the pressed oily contents of olives."

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
« Reply #193 on: February 11, 2013, 05:23:04 pm »

Those flag things? I didnt realise they were functional - I thought that they were there as some kind of badge or standard identifying who they were fighting with/for.

Oh, and they are called Sashimono, though there are a few basic subtypes.
This is a blank sig.

USEC_OFFICER

• Bay Watcher
  • Pulls the strings and makes them ring.
    • View Profile
« Reply #194 on: February 11, 2013, 05:58:28 pm »

Those flag things? I didnt realise they were functional - I thought that they were there as some kind of badge or standard identifying who they were fighting with/for.

Oh, and they are called Sashimono, though there are a few basic subtypes.

Nah, greatorder is thinking about something else. They were more like parachutes then flags, and were worn only when mounted (so that they would billow out). But like him I can't remember the name of it...
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14