Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5

Author Topic: Football  (Read 4276 times)

Scoops Novel

• Bay Watcher
  • Talismanic
    • View Profile
Re: Football
« Reply #45 on: February 04, 2013, 01:59:19 pm »

Reading a thinner book

Arcjolt (useful) Chilly The Endoplasm Jiggles

Hums with potential    a flying minotaur

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: February 04, 2013, 05:50:54 pm »

There isn't enough slamming or jamming in football for me, but I appreciate the sport for giving me an excuse to get drunk on a Sunday once a year.

Might I recommend cricket in that case?  It's an excuse to get drunk that has been known to last for over a week on occasion.

I may have just discovered the perfect sport.

TCM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: February 04, 2013, 11:20:33 pm »

Why are we discussing Soccer & Rugby?

This is the Football thread. This is an American forum for American things.

Europe sure is an interesting country with it's sports though.
Because trying to stuff Fate/Whatever's engrish and the title of a 17th century book on statecraft into Pokemon syntax tends to make the content incomprehensible.

Techhead

• Bay Watcher
  • Former Minister of Technological Heads
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: February 04, 2013, 11:34:37 pm »

Before we continue on this discussion on what is and isn't 'football', I would like to point out that they're all derivatives of the older sport(s) of Medieval football.

Also, the term 'Soccer' derives from 'Association Football'. 'American Football' should instead be called 'Gridiron', which also sounds cooler than 'Soccer'.
Engineering Dwarves' unfortunate demises since '08
WHAT?  WE DEMAND OUR FREE THINGS NOW DESPITE THE HARDSHIPS IT MAY CAUSE IN YOUR LIFE
It's like you're all trying to outdo each other in sheer useless pedantry.

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: February 05, 2013, 02:33:08 am »

I was pretty terrible at (American) football on the rare occasions we played it in PE or I joined the group that played at lunchtimes, but I can see the attraction. There's plenty of strategy to be found, particularly if you don't want to be bludgeoned to death. I make for a terrible lineman, but running and dodging and jumping to move a ball from one point to another while others try to stop you has a certain excitement. A bit more frenetic than the simple thrill of the hunt that running inspires, albeit in shorter bursts with less hunting and more dodging.

A good sport. Dangerous, but good sport.

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: February 05, 2013, 02:47:12 am »

This is an American forum for American things.
America! Fuck yeah!

(Facetiousness over. Please return to your regularly scheduled sports discussion)
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: February 05, 2013, 03:59:16 am »

I was pretty terrible at (American) football on the rare occasions we played it in PE or I joined the group that played at lunchtimes, but I can see the attraction. There's plenty of strategy to be found, particularly if you don't want to be bludgeoned to death. I make for a terrible lineman, but running and dodging and jumping to move a ball from one point to another while others try to stop you has a certain excitement. A bit more frenetic than the simple thrill of the hunt that running inspires, albeit in shorter bursts with less hunting and more dodging.

I could see you being pretty good as a Wide Receiver. Less slamming into people and more outrunning them.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: February 05, 2013, 10:10:13 am »

I could see you being pretty good as a Wide Receiver. Less slamming into people and more outrunning them.
I had the speed for a cornerback (and the terrible catching and tackling skills to be one too xD), but my heart and pectus issues nixed that. Get winded too easily.

Also, in middle school football I apparently spontaneously re-invented the flying wedge, despite never having heard of it. Coach was pissed, thought I was trying to kill somebody. I just thought it made tactical sense.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2013, 10:14:49 am by RedKing »

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: February 05, 2013, 12:17:33 pm »

It does make tactical sense, especially on kick returns, but it's also a good way to get someone killed. That's why the NFL outlawed any wedge of three men or more.

I was a jack of all trades. Played mostly corner and safety, returned kicks and punts, was the backup kicker and punter, was used sparingly as a wide reciever, and they put me at fullback occasionally when they wanted me to maul someone by surprise. (I was invisible behind the line of scrimmage, so d-linemen and linebackers literally had no idea what hit them.)

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: February 05, 2013, 12:47:19 pm »

Played as a linebacker for a while as an undergrad. Apparently there is a lot in common with linebacker and the rugby position of blind side flanker (my spot in that particular game) - basically both involve reading plays, making tackles and winning ball.

Bay12 generic sports team anyone?
This is a blank sig.

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: February 05, 2013, 12:54:54 pm »

I'm in, so long as we don't play basketball. My physique and that game don't mix.

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: February 05, 2013, 12:58:07 pm »

Nor mine, though I still played small forward for my high school. We were very mono-racial though...
This is a blank sig.

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: February 05, 2013, 01:43:11 pm »

I have terrible aim, though I'm pretty good at catching. Hence, basketball and baseball are not my strong suits. I'd join a Bay12 Generic Sports Team, though. Maybe at a meetup sometime.

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: February 05, 2013, 02:28:42 pm »

My dyspraxia renders most sports inaccessible. I could play field hockey though.

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: February 05, 2013, 02:30:47 pm »

Man, I haven't played baseball since little league. I mean, a pickup game here and there, sure, but never anything with like...enough people for actual teams. That would be pretty awesome.

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5