Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 48 49 [50] 51 52 ... 76

Author Topic: Factorio - Factory building game  (Read 263059 times)

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
Re: Factorio - Factory building game
« Reply #735 on: April 29, 2016, 04:41:25 am »

At this point I can't see myself using anything but Firefox, simply out of sheer inertia.

Anyways. If I thought my problems on this map would be getting oil, or iron - I was gravely mistaken.
The "home" iron mine is still going strong. I have oil storage backed up because my plastics, sulfur, and solid fuel consumption can't keep up with production - I need to seriously up production of batteries and advanced electronics. The problem with all that... is that my copper is running out. I actually have a decent amount of it left, around 30K total, but it's a very small, very rich patch that I can only fit four electric mines around - there is not enough production rate. I need a remote mining operation stat.

And here's what the map looks like so far. See if you can spot anything in common between all discovered copper deposits.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Yep. Each of them - the seven of them I can see - is located right next to a massive amount of alien dens. I could have a hilarious amount of mining done if I could clear them all out, but I spent hours just clearing out the big peninsula on the left to get to the iron deposit there (and I'm still not done). And if I just set up a mining operation (or especially a mining and smelting operation, which is a possibility) on one, it will come under constant and massive attacks with all the pollution spreading out.

And to get the hardware necessary to make either clearing the nests out or defending a mining outpost possible, I need... a lot of copper. Wonderful.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #736 on: April 29, 2016, 08:27:14 am »

Okay, not going to get into an argument any further than this, but since I really can't resist one more post...
Let me rephrase what I said: you can like Edge or dislike it.
But it's the default browser of a major OS.

Edge is relevant.
Not that relevant or as relevant as the other 'main' browsers, sure, but it's relevant to some degree.
I voluntarily use Edge. By far the fastest+lightest browser I've used.
Its the default browser of only one version of a major OS, and not one people are super fond of. I'll give it a maybe at best.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

JacobVR

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #737 on: April 29, 2016, 08:46:31 am »

I'd actually say its more about trying to automate things so that you don't have to micromanage. But it works out such that you never stop. Literally.... Prepare to stay up hours after you intended to stop. Days? Perhaps..

JacobVR

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #738 on: April 29, 2016, 08:47:04 am »

;) ;) ;)

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #739 on: April 29, 2016, 01:51:05 pm »

Today's Friday Facts indicates they've made some networking improvements! Not sure if it's in the 12.32 experimental or what though, I haven't been keeping up with experimental releases.
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #740 on: April 30, 2016, 08:21:05 am »

I've actually made a mod for this game. Well, a "mod". It's only a mod insofar as the game recognizes it as one, otherwise it's just a discrete collection of various crap I'm doing to test what I can do with the modding system.

The mod is not at all thought through, and currently all it does is restrict the player to being able to craft by hand only those items that require one component to craft. This is in lieu of having an actual ability to limit the player in this way.

There are a few fun unintended side-effects. You can't craft your iron axe because it takes two ingredients. You can't craft power poles either, which would make getting power running rather difficult unless more things are connectable via copper wire (which is doable, and wire is one of the things you can make). You can't craft any of the science packs manually, either.

All in all, the system is flexible and limited simultaneously. At least you can request for things to be made available for modding.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."

n9103

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Steam
« Reply #741 on: April 30, 2016, 05:51:33 pm »

And, generally speaking, those requests are seriously considered and quickly implemented.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #742 on: May 01, 2016, 08:27:22 am »

I wasted too much time on this thing.

Now let's see if I can actually make it work. :P

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #743 on: May 01, 2016, 01:25:42 pm »

I tried it last night and ended up playing it for about 16 hours straight. This game is fucking amazing.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #744 on: May 03, 2016, 08:31:13 am »

Even more pointlessly spent time later...

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
« Reply #745 on: May 03, 2016, 08:44:42 am »

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #746 on: May 03, 2016, 09:54:06 am »

I did, but I find the sprite to be lacking. Plus I had to flip around the design of that generator (which is now part of KS Power) in order to let it have an animation when working. The burner-generator is comprised of a boiler and a steam engine superimposed on each other and controlled via code. The KS Power version is placed as a boiler, with the steam engine invisible and only providing power. I had to make it so that the steam engine is the one placed - this allows rotating the sprite, and having an animation like the steam engine does.

I broke the thing like five times while I was doing it. :P
« Last Edit: May 03, 2016, 09:58:30 am by Sean Mirrsen »

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #747 on: May 04, 2016, 01:58:58 am »

I think I'm starting to understand the madness that is modding Factorio. With how it is set up, you just can't half-ass your kludge solutions - you need to go full-ass in order to get what you're after.

For instance. I explained how the burner-generator is actually a boiler and a steamengine mashed into one place. Now, the boiler has a 'fire' graphic that shows that it's burning fuel. Since the boiler has different orientations it can be in, it has several variants of that graphic, which is nice to have. First, obvious idea - when creating the boiler through code (this works because I flipped the original code around), simply set the boiler's direction to be the same as the steamengine's direction. Unexpected error - the game does not allow setting the boiler's direction in code because it's also a pipe and its directions are determined automatically. Uh. Okay. After experimenting, I ended up having to add an entire new boiler entity, which is completely identical to the first one except that it uses a different default fire graphic, and the boiler-creation code chooses which boiler to create based on the orientation of the steam engine. Complicated enough? Nope, turns out I also need to add an item that matches the new boiler, because the game apparently wants it for some reason.

I also can't just add a burner-powered lamp (aka sconce, or brazier), because a lamp has no UI for letting you give it fuel, though it will flash the "out of fuel" icon. Wonderful.

flabort

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a demilich, despite the 4e and 5e nerfs
    • View Profile
« Reply #748 on: May 04, 2016, 02:22:25 am »

PTW, Ive been playing this game quite a bit since seein Avaak's beginners guide (with Shenrir) on youtube and falling in love with the logistics system.  Glad this thread popped up in front of me (would you believe I miss clicked?), and happy to see Seans work.
The Cyan Menace

Went away for a while, came back, went away for a while, and back for now.

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #749 on: May 04, 2016, 08:14:16 am »

PTW, Ive been playing this game quite a bit since seein Avaak's beginners guide (with Shenrir) on youtube and falling in love with the logistics system.  Glad this thread popped up in front of me (would you believe I miss clicked?), and happy to see Seans work.

Watch Arumba and Steejo instead.
Pages: 1 ... 48 49 [50] 51 52 ... 76