Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Couple of ideas about refuse stock pile and tattered clothes  (Read 4753 times)

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
Re: Couple of ideas about refuse stock pile and tattered clothes
« Reply #15 on: February 02, 2013, 06:02:13 pm »

You cant recycle thread from a worn item like that.  Worn thread has broken bast fibers, which arent strong. The best you could recycle worn threads into is rag paper, or compost.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 02, 2013, 10:49:42 pm »

So you that means that everything that is not enought realistic for you is a bullshit.
No, it means that bullshit is bullshit.

Yes toady made very realistic game. And also  he made it unrealistic with magic etc. There if evil fog that appears from nowhere, but there can't be evil fog from roting renmains of hundreds of killed creatures.
It comes from the Evil infused in the land. Not every corpse has the same Evil in it.

There is realistic geology that ends in the Hell with the demons down there.
That's what I term an "acceptable break from reality." There needs to be some unrealistic stuff there, to keep the demons in. (I also go with the theory that putting Hell
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
is an abstraction for interdimensional travel.)

May be the point is in 50/50 propotion of realism and realism?
No. Realism where possible, fantasy where not. Also, you used "realism" twice, which means that it would be 2/2 realism.

You've meationed the fantasy literature.As I remember, to place some weird evil stuff in graveyards, especially massive, huge gaveyards is the common stereotype for literature like this.
Yes, a cursed or otherwise special graveyard might have effects similar to evil biomes. No, a single dead rat rotting underground does not count.

You cant recycle thread from a worn item like that.  Worn thread has broken bast fibers, which arent strong. The best you could recycle worn threads into is rag paper, or compost.
Depending on the item in question, you might also be able to turn the worn-out item into another item--a worn-out shirt might be salvageable into a pair of pants, or a mitten missing its thumb into a sock. Naturally, these would be lower quality than the item normally would be.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Criperum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 03, 2013, 08:45:04 am »

No, it means that bullshit is bullshit.
It is bullshit because it is bullshit. Pure logic. Spock would be proud of you.

No. Realism where possible, fantasy where not. Also, you used "realism" twice, which means that it would be 2/2 realism.
So you think that it was totally impossible not to add emmmm.... dwarwes in game? Why didn't Toady left just only humans? It would be possible and much more realistic.
Thank you for finding my typo. Realism and unrealism, of course.

Yes, a cursed or otherwise special graveyard might have effects similar to evil biomes. No, a single dead rat rotting underground does not count.
It happens very rare when the source of curse of graveyard is meantioned in the book. Usually it is just cursed by the time of storyline time.
But it's your truth about "fog from single rat". The idea should be changed and detailed little bit more to become more suitable.
But I don't think it is bullshit in its core.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2013, 09:07:56 am by Criperum »

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
  • [SPHERE:VERMIN][LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 03, 2013, 09:00:21 am »

I agree with both suggestions, although the evil fog suggestion is completely exaggerated.

Sure, a corpse rotting in water should rot faster and add a contaminant to that water, that makes drinking the water excessively fun. But evil fog ? Doesn't make any sense.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 03, 2013, 09:40:39 am »

I agree with both suggestions, although the evil fog suggestion is completely exaggerated.

Sure, a corpse rotting in water should rot faster and add a contaminant to that water, that makes drinking the water excessively fun. But evil fog ? Doesn't make any sense.
Just as a note, corpses submerged in water rot slower than those left on land (but faster than those left in deserts) because a part of them will be deprived of oxygen, slowing down the rotting process.

And again for the evil fog thing, you seem to be pretty focused on trying to jam in an idea using existing mechanics. However, that's not really needed, as Toady can also add a polution factor, or disease thingy, or whatever. This still accomplishes the original idea (leaving corpses around as bad), while both making more sense and looking a bit more professionall.

regarding "option 1" It would be nice if the "melt" command was replaced by a standard "Recycle" that would be executed at appropriate workshops: Melt a Metal Item at smelters (returning partial metal, as usual), Unweave a Cloth Item at Looms (Returning only a portion of thread, and even less if the item is worn), Burn a Wooden Item to Ash/Charcoal at the Wood Furnace (partial yield compared to logs), and maybe some "Salvage leather scraps" option at the leatherworks.  Stone items don't seem feasibly "recyclable", but then they don't wear down and aren't mutually exclusive with anything they should logically be converted into.

I dunno, recycling isn't really a medievally term. You could replace it with a context sensitive option though (ie, melt for metal items, burn for wooden items...)

Criperum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 03, 2013, 11:59:58 am »

Well, as Toady mentioned the future possibility of religion, I've been thinking about some variation of my idea with fog.

This is it:
1) there is some kind of negative magic energy level on the map. More in evil regions less in peaceful.
2) Higher the level means more probability of evil fogs, dark creatures visits and other fun things.
3) Level slowly decreases to its natural level in course of time.
4) Every corpse of intelligent creature lying on the ground without buring increases that level.
5) Ghosts increases level even faster.
6) Its gonna be temple where dwarf with labor "priest" which should perform some rituals to decrease energy level(pray for the gods).
7) Or you can rot those bodies as fast as you can to change its type from "body" to bones, skulls etc.

Larix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 01, 2013, 04:42:31 am »

Digging this up to avoid creating a new topic:

i too am of the opinion that old clothes' management can use some improvements. The thing i'd find most age-appropriate would be 'clothes repair' a.k.a. patching things up. Ideally, this would be another clothier's job, where the nearest unclaimed piece of worn-out clothing would be targetted and restored to undamaged status. To ensure a 'cost' to the interaction apart from labour itself, the repaired piece of clothing could lose quality, presumably 0-2 levels (no quality loss for a masterful job, one level for a fine to exceptional one, two levels for standard work) for each wear grade removed. If an item's quality would thus drop below base, it would be destroyed, recovering the cloth (by material size) for patches and wound dressing - allowing a material cost for repairs and providing a type of recycling.

While this would feel fairly natural and appropriate, i'm aware it would take a serious amount of programming work: the loss of masterwork quality through patching shouldn't cause unhappiness in the clothier, neither should the subsequent destruction of a no-longer-masterful clothing item. Clothiers repairing stuff should prefer using partial cloth items for patches instead of cutting up a fresh bolt (making it unusable for making new clothes).

Still, i think that in-period, repairing clothes until they fell apart would be the most realistic approach; from the 15th century or so, unusable clothes were collected for paper-making (and that was the main source of paper until the 19th century), but even then, clothes took enough effort to make that they regularly got repaired and patched up and only discarded when they were in an untenable state. And of course, it would make keeping the dwarfs clothed less of a hassle if you could automate repair jobs and only needed to actually replace a piece of clothing every eight instead of two years, not to mention the possibility to stretch a small cloth supply by less material-intensive repairs instead of the full-material-cost replacements.

For a fairly simplistic sanity-preservation fix, treating x*clothes*x differently from *clothes* would help a lot: one possibility would be allowing sorting by damaged/undamaged status in finished goods stockpiles. Another would be an option to automatically move unowned damaged clothes to a refuse stockpile. For the latter to properly work, dwarfs would still need to let go of their claims to the X+pig tail fibre sock+Xs in their cabinets without massive player intervention, though.

Deepblade

• Bay Watcher
  • Tholtarmid
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 01, 2013, 08:01:33 am »

I'd rather just burn the clothes and make brand new high quality clothes. As is, we get oodles of cloth, from caravans and from the Fort. So much we sometimes don't know what to do with it.

Even then, the vast majority of tattered clothes to be broken down for patches and what not are owned by Dwarves, and stuck in their room. If the ownership would be removed when replaced then we'd be cookin' with magma.
Deepblade's Standardized Creature Parts, for when you're pissed about all the different types of animal products there are.
Pages: 1 [2]