Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7

Author Topic: Alternative (RAW-defined) Reproduction  (Read 15029 times)

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Alternative Reproduction
« Reply #45 on: February 05, 2013, 10:34:48 pm »

You are aware that likely the Fleshball isn't so much a real creature so much as it is a ball of infernally animated tissue right?

Think of it as living cancer.

It likely reproduces purely through fragmentation and splitting.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2013, 10:37:25 pm by Neonivek »

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: February 05, 2013, 10:42:37 pm »

All complex life evolved from simple colonial massed organisms.

Take for example, a volvox.  It is basically little more than a small colony of algal forms, that reproduces by fission. It is still multicellular though.

A glump of passively nourished muscle tissue aiding reproduction through colony formation is still a multicellular macro organism.

Ironically, "cancer" could be viewed as a rebooted genetic behavior for multicelular tissues, caused by the proper behavior's genetic basis getting radically broke. The tissue reverts to more primitive colonial behaviors.

jseah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: February 06, 2013, 03:11:08 am »

What about more fantasy reproduction methods?

Take for example this ridiculous idea I had last night of a race of Kaguyas.  Based off the chinese/japanese myth of the moon princess from bamboo. 

Very occasionally, when a young bamboo plant grows, out pops a Kaguya (a human-like animal) instead of a proper bamboo plant.  Kaguyas live in the forest of bamboo making sure the bamboo forest stays healthy and gets to grow, so as to get more Kaguyas. 

Perhaps they are vegetarian and eat bamboo.  >.>

If they look like humans, humans might very well end up adopting them only to have the Kaguyas eventually run away to go back to the instinctively fascinating bamboo forest. 
« Last Edit: February 06, 2013, 03:13:02 am by jseah »

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: February 06, 2013, 03:37:07 am »

Again, the solution I pandered earlier would permit this, due to its flexibility.

The Kaguya would be a child caste from bamboo plants, with a probability of production, and would either be non-gendered, or be 2 otherwise identical castes for a male or female, (or other...), and would have all reproductive possibilities controlled with function tags.

without such changes, this kind of creature would not be producible after worldgen.

jseah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: February 06, 2013, 04:36:01 am »

Well, I was thinking more that the Kaguyas do not actually reproduce, you only get more Kaguyas by having them pop from bamboo shoots. 

It would be nice if DF could have procedural generation create creatures like the Kaguyas with strange/downright magical lifecycles.  Not just a mobile creature with X number of sexes getting more mobile creatures.  Some kind of environmental cue can become conditions for a fantasy creature to pop out (in this case, 1 in 10 000 bamboo shoots or something)

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: February 06, 2013, 07:22:34 am »

I would point out that the old theory of giraffes having long necks has largely been debunked (although you seem to have hinted at this with the third note), and more can be seen in this webpage.  But basically, there are multiple reasons for a giraffe having a long neck, including the fact that males need long necks for their courtship ritual.  (They club each other with their heads and horns to gain dominance - a long neck gives massive leverage when swinging their heads.  The longer-necked giraffes are capable of winning courtship duels and getting mates to pass on their genes with, giving an evolutionary advantage to long-necked males.) That isn't to say that long necks don't help with other evolutionary advantages, either (like having an elevated perch from which to watch for predators), but that it's not a single reason.
As thorough as I attempted to be (sorry, WallOfText-time, again) I did indeed not clarify things as I might have done.

Just as there is no purpose/plan for any given evolutionary development, neither does it really follow that there be a single beneficiary effect from any given phenotype-shift, nor that a single phenotype-shift be alone linked to any end result.  Instead it'd be a complex interaction between any and all...

For the latter, I mentioned the circulatory system needing changes to support the neck which may have been made to allow drinking... In a way that was not strictly causal, but obviously a less capable vascular system would hinder the neck-enhanced, and the neck-'normal' ones with long(er) legs would also have had a problem, as the ancient form of the animal evolved by drunkards-walk steps into the form as we see it now.

For the former, I agree that a good strong neck is good for the male-on-male battles for dominance (which can be brutal).  Although I somewhat think that if (for example) the proto-giraffes were, say, head butters, in their equivalent of this ritual, then as the necks got longer this may have been impractical and (possibly with a structural change in the hind-brain wiring that accompanies this semi-instinctual aspect of behaviour) the combat became more and more like it is today.  Which obviously brought the strong-necked males to the top of the breeding-pile (possibly even killed off those that were less fortunate).

But I'm more thinking that you don't want to confuse matters by implying that the necks evolved in order to support the mating hierarchy.  Even taking into account that the rather loosely worded "...evolved in order to..."  bit is not implying a sought target state (which I would hope we could agree on, that being sometimes an irresistible/convenient short-cut phrase), I think we're better arguing that the otherwise undirected behavioural developments co-evolved with (at least partially reinforced, but also was reinforced by) the otherwise undirected physical ones.

(And that's ignoring, or at least taking for granted, pressures from environment, predation, etc, etc.)

I think we're basically in agreement, but just taking the opportunity to go into more detail about points that I may have skimmed over/left unsaid.  Naturally there are still holes in the wording.  I might have been able to write a more concise and accurate response, but it would have taken far more editing than I've already made. ;)

W.R.T. Dwarf Fortress and the subject of this topic... erm... this particular issue is (currently) not actually relevant, I now realise.  But it's interesting.  (Or at least an interesting heresy, for those that disagree!)  I shall now go back and see what (if anything) I can add that is actually on topic!

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: February 06, 2013, 07:39:17 am »

Well, I was thinking more that the Kaguyas do not actually reproduce, you only get more Kaguyas by having them pop from bamboo shoots. 

It would be nice if DF could have procedural generation create creatures like the Kaguyas with strange/downright magical lifecycles.  Not just a mobile creature with X number of sexes getting more mobile creatures.  Some kind of environmental cue can become conditions for a fantasy creature to pop out (in this case, 1 in 10 000 bamboo shoots or something)

Like the old (fallacious) "raw meat begat maggots" idea...  (Also barnacle geese spawning from geese barnacles.)

jseah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: February 06, 2013, 10:55:36 am »

Like the old (fallacious) "raw meat begat maggots" idea...  (Also barnacle geese spawning from geese barnacles.)
Actually, yes, abiogenesis... with magic!  That's why I kept thinking I saw this idea somewhere before. 

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: February 06, 2013, 02:14:52 pm »

That is exactly what I was thinking as well, but structured the reply based on how it could be implemented.  Observe:

[Entity]
  [Creature:Bamboo]
          [Caste:Bamboo]
               [name:Black Forest Bamboo]
               [requires:self]
               [gestator]
               [blah blah blah]
               [Produces:Bamboo:98]
               [Produces:Kaguya_male_child:1]
               [Produces:Kaguya_female_child:1]
          [Caste:Kaguya_male_child]
               [name:Boy Kaguya]
               [child:12]
               [sterile]
               [blah blah blah]
               [Adult:Kaguya_Male]
          [Caste:Kaguya_female_child]
               [name:Girl Kaguya]
               [child:12]
               [sterile]
               [sapient]
               [blah blah blah]
               [Adult:Kaguya_Female]
          [Caste:Kaguya_Male]
               [name:Kaguya Man]
               [sterile]
               [sapient]
               [blah blah blah]
          [Caste:Kaguya_Female]
               [name:Kaguya Woman]
               [sterile]
               [sapient]
               [blah blah blah]

The bamboo produces kaguya children only 2% of the time, who then mature into kaguya people-- who are sterile, but still have gender symbols. This is in-line with japanese folklore, who had their spirit peoples have gender, but be sterile except under extraordinary conditions.  Like the little teapot being a boy.

The primary reproduction cycle of the bamboo is asexual-- but some of the offspring are gendered, but non-sexual.

This kind of thing is a perfect fit for the system I suggested.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: February 06, 2013, 04:22:10 pm »

I think it needs work...

For example it needs to recognise that the creature is no longer considered part of the bamboo family.

As well we need something that deals with fantastically low percents.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: February 06, 2013, 04:39:13 pm »

I didn't say it would be perfect, just that it would be sufficient to allow them to exist in the game, and be produced after worldgen. Eg, you have bamboo on your embark, and the little tykes appear out of nowhere. ;D

The generic tag identifier system would also allow complex lifecycles, like medusae, and completely fantastical ones, like 3-breeders species. (Even ones that need a different species host, with a little tweaking.)

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: February 06, 2013, 08:18:36 pm »

But they don't have a nervous system, and may well just be a biochemically motivated ball of passively nutrient absorbing and releasing tissue.  Sorta like heart muscle culture in a petri dish, just grown really large.
Heart muscles will beat without any nervous tissue involvement, and will synchronize activity with each other using ion concentrations alone.
That fleshball specifically has tags asserting that it indeed has no nervous tissue of any sort, this seems the more appropriate biological metaphor.
Hearts aren't organisms, and they DO have nerves, but I suppose. Doesn't help paraphylogenists any, though.

Also, learn to seperate jargon from informal use.  I used "gastropod" as an adjective, Not as a noun. "Gastropod" as a noun has a very specific use. "Gastropod" as an adjectie relates to body plan, as an abstract high level concept. They are not the same, and the use was not the same. Calm down francis, and enjoy the game. :D
I have never seen "gastropod" used as anything but the name of the clade which contains snails, slugs, sea butterflies, etc.

I didn't say it would be perfect, just that it would be sufficient to allow them to exist in the game, and be produced after worldgen. Eg, you have bamboo on your embark, and the little tykes appear out of nowhere. ;D

The generic tag identifier system would also allow complex lifecycles, like medusae, and completely fantastical ones, like 3-breeders species. (Even ones that need a different species host, with a little tweaking.)
Ideally with multiple methods of reproduction allowed per creature.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: February 06, 2013, 09:01:59 pm »

If you are sane with how you structure parent/child relationships, then yes. It would be necessary for modeling some of the sexually reproducing corals and medusae, afterall, since they also have asexual budding in the polyp stage, in addition to gamete production, and each stage would have different adult forms that are reproductively active.  (Oceanic life can be really whack!)

This is why I introduced [produces:X], [requires:X], [adult:X], and [gestator]. Another sensible addition is [symbol:X], for situations where the gender icon needs to be..... not male nor female. :D

Those tags being implemented is a simple change, that radically increases the flexibility of the reproductive subsystem.

While not 'quite' up to handling freaky things like jellyfish, (because it implies that female jellies get preggers! Eep!) It is certainly a better system to attempt modeling it than we currently have.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: February 07, 2013, 05:43:35 am »

Also, learn to seperate jargon from informal use.  I used "gastropod" as an adjective, Not as a noun. "Gastropod" as a noun has a very specific use. "Gastropod" as an adjectie relates to body plan, as an abstract high level concept. They are not the same, and the use was not the same. Calm down francis, and enjoy the game. :D
I have never seen "gastropod" used as anything but the name of the clade which contains snails, slugs, sea butterflies, etc.

May I suggest that "gastropodal" or perhaps "gastrapoid" be used in this sort of case, much as with (in fact, quite similar to) one might describe a fictional alien with no implied relation to the gastropods of Earth, but having the apparent phenotype of one when it comes to trying to describe it[1].

Not being so intimate (fnar fnar) with the subset of the natural world, it's possible that one or other of these words are already taken to mean something technical, of course, so feel free to ignore me... ;)

[1] Much as a humanoid alien needn't (Star Trek retrofitting storylines aside, etc) be human or even in any way related to the hominids.  (Oooh, now I'm considering looking for a good excuse to use "hominidoid", just for the pure awkwardness of it. ;)

Glitch(TMG)

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: February 07, 2013, 02:00:53 pm »

I check out for a few days and the topic starts taking off. I'm actually quite pleased, means people like the core idea!  :D

Well then, I think I'll try editing the first post of the thread to reflect some of the discussions that have been going on here, and I think I shall also add a new item to the Eternal Suggestion Voter for this topic.

I wonder, for the future, can I state that I grant permission to a couple of select users to be able to petition a mod to edit one of my posts (the first one of this thread) on their behalf with new information they specify? (to keep a summary of the whole thread up-to-date). I probably won't be around here very often, I like DF, but I can't invest as much time in it as most of the others around here, I just liked tossing this one idea into the pot. ^.^
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7