Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Ever had the moment where somebody halts the fortress to a stand still?  (Read 4135 times)

Bartholomew The Pious

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

(sorry too cool for the word "Marksdwarf" no? ok i'll just leave)

The Combat Log.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
- Mayor Morul walks over to Arbalest Officer Kumil [Insert Long Title]

Morul: O! What's the hold up? I've been getting hunderds' upon hunderd's of complaints about starvation!

Kumil: A thousand pardons, your grace. The battle I am overseeing here is easily ours for the taking, but the frost troll is simply too much for even our well trained Melee Reserve.

Morul: Then stick a nice and shiny arbalest bolt up her arse!

Kumil: First of all, Blizzard Men are unisexual, and second, they can only be slain by hacking weapons as far as I know.

Morul: Then why is my friend Mistem there not chopping away at it's head?

Kumil: There I am stumped, my lord. It seems he's as tough as Old Hickory wood.

Morul: Great, and you expect me sir to burst everyone's bubble?

Kumil: We are trying everything, your grace. *Bolt suddenly comes whizzing by, but the attack glances off* Excuse me Mayor. MENG! Ya half-wit! Who taught you to fire the wrong direction?!
-Kumil enters the fray.-

Morul: Armok preserve us. . .

So that's that. Been like a week and a half game-time since this tenacious beast from the nine hells have halted basically half the fortress in the battle scene. I know that Blizzard man ought to die soon, but I don't want to feel alone when the whole fortress starves to death with it. Anyone else have a similar event? Even anything else besides a battle scene?

EDIT:
Death Counter By Starvation: 1
Armok Preserve these Arbalest private's who died in the line of duty.

Minkot Fikodlun Odrozdorenullung Tarem

EDIT EDIT:
I'm at the point where Dostngosp has a bloody 7 Page-Down's worth of head scars. Yep. Truly proves that dwarves -are- very blunt when it comes to hacking off limbs. That Blizzard Man has only an iron mask for armor for goodness sake's! Surely they would think of hacking at the limbs instead?

EDIT EDIT EDIT:
Ok maybe not a big deal anymore, now that I used traffic designation to move dwarves over the main door. But the whole ordeal still got me worked up! Like Morul said, Hunerds upon hunerds of cat meat roasts and pig hearts down the drain, in proportion with the complaints. Also I assigned many coyotes and bears to fight my battles via meeting area, so it's okay as Gangplank's oranges okay.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2013, 09:19:39 pm by Bartholomew The Pious »
I can't quote for squat, but this is very true. Credit to PTTG?? for this insightful comment.
~Haven & Hearth has always been a terrible game with great promise. That promise kind of faded away, and now it's mainly a way for a few dedicated scumbags to annoy the few new people who drift in.~

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
Re: Ever had the moment where somebody halts the fortress to a stand still?
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2013, 06:43:08 am »

An animal is found dead and mutilated, everyone panics thinking there may be an ambush squad inside the Fort; the entire military is called to active duty to find out if this is true.

It was just zombie ravens. Again.

Aerie

• Bay Watcher
  • Mae fy hofrenfad yn llawn llyswennod.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2013, 06:58:20 am »

The problem seems to be that most of your marksdwarves have bone crossbows. Bone is horrible for bludgeoning weapons, and axes will bounce off armor; give them metal crossbows and they'll be able to bludgeon anything to death.
Play my forum game, The Darkness Below!

Bartholomew The Pious

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2013, 01:07:35 pm »

The problem seems to be that most of your marksdwarves have bone crossbows. Bone is horrible for bludgeoning weapons, and axes will bounce off armor; give them metal crossbows and they'll be able to bludgeon anything to death.
Hmm. That would be helpful to know someday I'd like to go bludgeon a blizzardman or a dozen. I ought to queue up some crossbows now for such a situation. Though I'm not sure I would want to exchange fast marksdwarfs with light crossbows for lumbering marskdwarfs with metal ones.

An animal is found dead and mutilated, everyone panics thinking there may be an ambush squad inside the Fort; the entire military is called to active duty to find out if this is true.

Welp, this seems to be terrifyingly an average day for biomes like this huh?
I can't quote for squat, but this is very true. Credit to PTTG?? for this insightful comment.
~Haven & Hearth has always been a terrible game with great promise. That promise kind of faded away, and now it's mainly a way for a few dedicated scumbags to annoy the few new people who drift in.~

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2013, 01:11:47 pm »

Yep. Though it seems they were content with eating a guard pig before flying off; I keep them by the entrances to check for ambushes so I guess it was bound to happen :D

Bartholomew The Pious

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2013, 08:00:43 pm »

Yep. Though it seems they were content with eating a guard pig before flying off; I keep them by the entrances to check for ambushes so I guess it was bound to happen :D
Ah, fun. I feel comforted now with this, and I'll even tolerate Dostngosp's existense for a while, but curse it's tenacity! It's been past Felsite, Granite, and Slate; 3 Whole Months! no doubt with 2 more in it's pitiful life.

Di

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2013, 02:37:54 am »

So, is it still alive? You could try sending in a few wrestlers to take off his mask.
I myself am usually relieved from such nuisances by features of my fortress design but I remember the pain of watching the idiocy of haulers who got stuck in dodge-trap which was a simple walkway at the top level of the map when they saw a goblin squad all the way down.
Quote from: Creamcorn
Dwarf Fortress: Where you meet the limit of your imagination, moral compass, sanity and CPU processor.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=103080.0 Fix sober vampires!
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=91442.0 Dwarven Cognitive Science

Crashmaster

• Bay Watcher
  • CARP, Canada's new helth care plan for the elderly
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2013, 01:17:00 pm »

Suprise caverns troll in the central stair shaft.
Send the entire millitary as they only have training axes.
Troll crippled in stair shaft by passing hunter.
NONE SHALL PASS!

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2013, 02:16:17 pm »

I use marksdwarves for my primary military, but I always keep a fast response squad of elite melee dwarves with axes, swords, or mining picks. All made out of masterwork steel. Only masterwork. Anything less is sent back for melting.

My elite melee squad is only called up for an emergency, such as an unkillable creature causing problems with the marksdwarves.

Scootagoose

• Bay Watcher
  • I'll kill them before I do.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2013, 02:54:22 pm »

Locked inside of a fortress, surrounded by zombies, necromancers and more zombies in an evil biome. Yeah.
Unf.

Brotato

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware the Destroyer of Threads!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2013, 10:16:41 pm »

Crundles.  Just one or two crundles running around my entire industry level; completely halting  production, and the military couldn't catch them.
Dwarf Fortress: The only game where people will hold a logical discussion about why dwarves are putting on clothes.
OK, I have to reload the save.
There was a bit of a problem regarding flashfreezing, a ballistae, and a barrel of dwarven ale. Gonna fix it up.

Rutilant

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2013, 10:22:21 pm »

Yes.  Myself.  Constantly.

Bartholomew The Pious

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 30, 2013, 06:51:51 am »

Wrestlers eh? Taking off an iron mask huh? Woo, head feels dizzy, reminds me of a movie called The Mask. Well, I'll go try it with my miner gang, they ought to know what to do considering they have been my expert strongmen in the deep dark. I can already hear the cooperation effort now. .

Edit:
Well I learned now that the AI prefers head kills, but it is unfortunately tried in vain against the Blizzard Man a.k.a. walking tank with a mask. Also that
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Dostgnosp is riddled with 26 page-downs worth of head scars and head scar accessories.

And everyone is close to starving to death. Which is okay, this was a good long run for me, especially since it was made without any real goal but have fun.

Starvation Death Counter: 2
Dehydration Death Counter: 2
« Last Edit: January 30, 2013, 07:16:44 am by Bartholomew The Pious »

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #13 on: January 30, 2013, 04:11:31 pm »

Have miners dig up a tiny ditch from which the blizz can't escape?

Bartholomew The Pious

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 31, 2013, 11:16:09 pm »

Have miners dig up a tiny ditch from which the blizz can't escape?
That's not a bad idea. Then the Blizzard man will have to bleed to death, if it's got any blood in it left.

EDIT:
I've tried stairs underneath the Blizzard, and ramp, but I cannot seem to dig a channel beneath the blizzard! Anyone want to venture some pointers to help guide my dying fort?
« Last Edit: February 03, 2013, 03:45:09 am by Bartholomew The Pious »
Pages: [1] 2