Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Making millstones uses mining skill...?  (Read 721 times)

A_S00

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Making millstones uses mining skill...?
« on: January 23, 2013, 02:57:03 pm »

Just had a random peasant, who was dabbling in both mining and masonry, get a mood and claim a mason's workshop.  I thought, "okay, cool, worse things than another legendary mason."  So he collected materials, worked for a while, and then:

Became a miner?  Huh?

Does making a millstone use the mining skill for some reason?  Or did he get selected for a mood with some kind of "highest skill = mining" parameter, then the game picked the closest crafting labor (masonry) for the artifact, but gave him the XP in the original skill (mining)?  Is this a bug, or intended behavior?

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
Re: Making millstones uses mining skill...?
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2013, 02:59:29 pm »

As you suggest, moody miners will make some kind of stone item at a masons workshop and get a boost to legendary miner.
This is a blank sig.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2013, 03:00:12 pm »

*imagines Urist McMoody carefully chipping away at a huge boulder with his trusty pickaxe....

geail

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2013, 03:01:02 pm »

He used his highest moodable skill.  The thing you are encountering is that not all moodable skills are production skills, i.e. mining, engraving, and masonry all claim a mason's workshop but boost their respective skills

SharkForce

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2013, 03:16:21 pm »

He used his highest moodable skill.  The thing you are encountering is that not all moodable skills are production skills, i.e. mining, engraving, and masonry all claim a mason's workshop but boost their respective skills

huh... odd... i could've swore i had a cook do this once with leatherworking or something like that. made some leather artifact, but got legendary cook (which was a bit disappointing - not that i got a legendary cook, but that i would have preferred a legendary leatherworker since training cooks up is quick and easy, imo).

i was wondering if i got confused and that never happened, but i guess it is possible after all perhaps =S

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
  • [SPHERE:VERMIN][LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2013, 04:48:09 pm »

It's a bit dumb that mining is a moodable skill right now. Mason/stonecrafter makes far more sense.

Plus it wastes a mood, because legendary miners are easy to get.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2013, 07:25:05 pm »

It's nice when your pickdwarves get a fey or secretive mood though.

Cooking is not a moodable skill at all. The only farmer-class (ie. tan dwarf) skill you can mood in is Tanning, whose moods choose from the same final item list as Leatherworking moods.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

SharkForce

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2013, 10:36:19 pm »

It's nice when your pickdwarves get a fey or secretive mood though.

Cooking is not a moodable skill at all. The only farmer-class (ie. tan dwarf) skill you can mood in is Tanning, whose moods choose from the same final item list as Leatherworking moods.

hmmm... so, i'm right back to wondering what exactly happened then. le sigh.