Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: I miss Dwarven Syrup Roasts  (Read 2440 times)

Jimmy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
I miss Dwarven Syrup Roasts
« on: January 23, 2013, 07:28:53 am »

Remember the days when you'd feed a fortress on baked syrup? These days it's nothing but dry quarry bush leaves. All my attempts at modding have failed me, and no longer can my dwarves experience the diabetic bliss of masterfully minced syrup.

Ah well, since you can't make dwarven pancakes either I guess it's for the best.

Mishy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: I miss Dwarven Syrup Roasts
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2013, 07:47:17 am »

Dwarven syrup is still in the embark menu .. Maybe im playing an old version. New trees arnt out yet, right?

crekit

• Bay Watcher
  • Doesn't know what he's talking about.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2013, 07:53:16 am »

GET DAT DWARVEN SUGAR
<-- Has no idea what just happened.

He likes gold, native gold, trees that are made of gold, and tungsten. He likes cats for their haunting meows. He needs dwarf fortress to get through the working day. When possible, prefers to consume Potatoes, cheese, cow milk. Absolutely detests elves. And spiders.

Jimmy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2013, 07:59:02 am »

In the older versions you could cook dwarven syrup as the only ingredient in a roast. These days, since it's a liquid, dwarves seem to do their level best to avoid cooking it unless there's no other ingredients. The value of syrup used to be that five stacks were produced for every plant, compared to the 1:1 ratio of milling sugar. That, coupled with the high material value, meant that sweet pods were a common source of food for a fortress.

Unfortunately the behavior of dwarves with respect to cooking priorities mean that the only viable high density farmable food item now are quarry bushes. I can't imagine that a roast composed purely of what stockpiles refer to as "spice" would have nearly the same enjoyment factor as a huge lump of roasted syrup.

Coalwalker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2013, 08:07:55 am »

Aye, young Urist, I remember those days. Our great chef Bomrek used te cook the most amazin' roasts ye've ever seen. Huge lumps o' pure baked syrup they were, aye, all carmelised on the outside like a crisp shell covering a sweet squishy inside like one o' them wamblers bellies. You should'o seen 'em, Urist. But she went outside one day an' tried to take the socks off her dead mate and got picked of by those damned goblins, she did. No one's had the heart to make her roasts since.

*sobs into rum barrel*
So to recap, one minute everything was going just great, and the next we have caverns collapsing, firebreathing cave beasts, underground brush fires, a screaming swarm of poltergheists back for revenge, zombies in the corridors, drunken brawls in the dining halls, magma pouring into the caverns, rotting miasma everywhere, insanity, madness, and a flying crocodile heading right towards us!

crekit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2013, 08:17:14 am »

Efficiency :x

This is dwarf fortress.

I will have mah dwarven sugar roasts, and they will be mixed with dwarven flour.

He likes gold, native gold, trees that are made of gold, and tungsten. He likes cats for their haunting meows. He needs dwarf fortress to get through the working day. When possible, prefers to consume Potatoes, cheese, cow milk. Absolutely detests elves. And spiders.

jellsprout

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2013, 09:03:16 am »

I remember the 40d days where all milk you brought on embark got put in a single barrel and could be used in a single roast. Never again will I see my glorious cow milk roasts worth well over a million dwarfbucks again.
"Having been equipped with tracking collars so their migration and survival in the wild can be measured, the young Sea Serpent is released into the wild.  It is hoped that this captive breeding program will boost their terribly low population numbers and eventually see them removed from the endangered species list..."

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2013, 09:08:13 am »

The great cooking alcohol exploit. It would be nice though if we could have dwarven cakes, or maybe meat that we could glaze with syrup.

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2013, 09:35:06 am »

I believe I read one way to help mitigate the problem of dwarves refusing to cook with liquids is to only put liquids in barrels.  By leaving other ingredients like meat and plants outside the barrels, dwarves will prefer the liquids again.  I haven't tested this myself, but if anyone is keen on giving it a try I'd be glad to know the results.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

Jimmy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2013, 09:59:07 am »

It doesn't work with quarry bush leaves. I tried a system of having bagged quarry bushes in a stockpile without barrels in a distant part of the fortress, and syrup in barrels right next to my kitchens. The dwarves selectively went for the leaves, and only used syrup when it wasn't available. Whether this changes if you have cheese or meat is another matter, but at least for the purposes of supporting a fortress on plant farming only, it's a pain in the ass.

crekit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2013, 10:12:21 am »

It doesn't work with quarry bush leaves. I tried a system of having bagged quarry bushes in a stockpile without barrels in a distant part of the fortress, and syrup in barrels right next to my kitchens. The dwarves selectively went for the leaves, and only used syrup when it wasn't available. Whether this changes if you have cheese or meat is another matter, but at least for the purposes of supporting a fortress on plant farming only, it's a pain in the ass.

...Dwarven sugar/flour :D

Jimmy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2013, 10:39:49 am »

Since these are also stored in bags, I'd assume the same applies as for quarry bush leaves. I'd theorize the 'no barrel' technique is actually 'no storage item' including bags.

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2013, 01:16:22 pm »

If you can tame dragons you can produce dragon egg omelets.

Dragon egg omelets for everyone!

Tevish Szat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:diabolical schemes]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 23, 2013, 01:39:42 pm »

Make a custom stockpile that accepts only Dwarven Syrup, takes from all your other stockpiles that might have syrup, and Gives to a particular kitchen.  That kitchen will now only use materials in the dwarven syrup stockpile when possible.  Set it to Cook Lavish Meal/R and you should have dwarven syrup roasts soon enough.
A medium-sized humanoid fond of fantasy and science-fiction.

Tevish Szat likes books, computers, board games, and cats for their aloofness. When possible, he prefers to consume hamburgers and macaroni and cheese. He needs caffeine to get through the working day.

crekit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 23, 2013, 04:57:51 pm »

Make a custom stockpile that accepts only Dwarven Syrup, takes from all your other stockpiles that might have syrup, and Gives to a particular kitchen.  That kitchen will now only use materials in the dwarven syrup stockpile when possible.  Set it to Cook Lavish Meal/R and you should have dwarven syrup roasts soon enough.

You need at least one solid food item. And they will use -ALL of the solids before the syrup. So unless you want to drop something for every single roast, one at a time...

Pages: [1] 2