Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 45 46 [47] 48 49 ... 75

Author Topic: RTD 3 -- Space Wizards for Real  (Read 66887 times)

HighEndNoob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: RTD 3 -- Space Wizards for Real
« Reply #690 on: April 23, 2014, 04:22:33 pm »

"Well, this 'expedition' has already turned out well. Now, how does this thing work.."

Test out the grappling hook on a  nearby high place. Look for a nearby mountain range to climb.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2014, 08:35:36 pm by HighEndNoob »
(5) You manage to struggle free of the guards and sprint to a safe distance before tossing a knife at one! (5 + 1 = 6) The throwing knife zips through the air, slitting a guard's throat! It then travels around the group of guards like a boomerang. It (5) Slits another throat, (Three 6's in a row!) decapitates three more (!), (4) slices open the last guard's arm, and (2) narrowly misses a random bystander. It then flies back into your hand. Holy crap.

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
  • Not to be confused with infinity
    • View Profile
« Reply #691 on: April 23, 2014, 05:51:06 pm »

"Well, this 'expedition' has already turned out well. Now, how does this thing work.."

Test out the grappling hook on a  nearby high place. Look for a launder mat within close proximity.

((You had access to the Borealis' laundry system. During brachistochrone transit the engines are on and accelerating at 1G for extended periods of time.))
Have I now become your enemy by telling you the truth? (Gal 4:16)

superBlast

• Bay Watcher
  • The guy that loves nukes too much
    • View Profile
« Reply #692 on: April 26, 2014, 03:51:42 pm »

"Um... alright. Um... first I got main powers... controlling electronics and causing fires. ((Ryan doesn't know about his healing power)) On the electronics side, I can control them and even make them do things they weren't even designed for... like once I made an elevator move much faster then it's supposed to. Also I can sense power that powers the machines and manipulate that too... for example I once disabled some ceiling mounted turrets by making it so that no power was reaching them at all. Also when it comes to cameras I can see through them as if they was my eyes... which gives some weird visual effects... and I once had this strange dream slash out of body experience where I could see the most of all the ship I was on and even myself sleeping. When it comes to computers, I can literarly see it's coding... and figure out how to control systems the computer controls...  oh and recently I can even upgrade machines too. Another example is once I made an AI ship disable itself by taking control of it's defense turret, upgraded it to make it much more powerful, and then made it ship the ship's power supply. That was kinda fun to do actually...

Then with my fire powers... I can set stuff on fire by heating them up... oh and I can set myself on fire without hurting myself and it seems to make me move faster. Though I haven't used my fire powers all that much compared to my machine controlling powers... also I get the feeling I know another power I can do... but I can't quite remember what it is...
((in reference the miniquest of mine)) I have amnesia you see... and I'm trying to discover what my past is. That's why I wanna know more about my powers since I think it maybe a key to help me."

Ryan details his own powers as best as he can describe, trying to put in as much details as he can. He says quite a lot all at once... much more then he usually does.

Lots and lots of words...
"Come oooooon, a little insanity never hurt anyone.... Well except for that one guy, but never mind him." -superBlast

I gots a new livestream! Check it out here at http://www.twitch.tv/iamsuperblast

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #693 on: April 26, 2014, 05:46:17 pm »

"Um... alright. Um... first I got main powers... controlling electronics and causing fires. ((Ryan doesn't know about his healing power)) On the electronics side, I can control them and even make them do things they weren't even designed for... like once I made an elevator move much faster then it's supposed to. Also I can sense power that powers the machines and manipulate that too... for example I once disabled some ceiling mounted turrets by making it so that no power was reaching them at all. Also when it comes to cameras I can see through them as if they was my eyes... which gives some weird visual effects... and I once had this strange dream slash out of body experience where I could see the most of all the ship I was on and even myself sleeping. When it comes to computers, I can literarly see it's coding... and figure out how to control systems the computer controls...  oh and recently I can even upgrade machines too. Another example is once I made an AI ship disable itself by taking control of it's defense turret, upgraded it to make it much more powerful, and then made it ship the ship's power supply. That was kinda fun to do actually...

Then with my fire powers... I can set stuff on fire by heating them up... oh and I can set myself on fire without hurting myself and it seems to make me move faster. Though I haven't used my fire powers all that much compared to my machine controlling powers... also I get the feeling I know another power I can do... but I can't quite remember what it is...
((in reference the miniquest of mine)) I have amnesia you see... and I'm trying to discover what my past is. That's why I wanna know more about my powers since I think it maybe a key to help me."

Ryan details his own powers as best as he can describe, trying to put in as much details as he can. He says quite a lot all at once... much more then he usually does.

Lots and lots of words...

"Hmm," the knight ponders implications.
"Both fire powers and technokinesis, that's quite a mix."
He begins to explain some basic concepts.
"Fire powers normally belong to the entropic category of spells. Controlling machines, however... that is naturally one of the purest forms of a-entropic psionics. I'm not sure what to make of it. Let me explain it to you, so that you may discover it yourself, and thus learn what your hidden powers are. Mere amnesia won't wipe away your innate abilities.

Entropic schools of thought tend to increase the amount of entropy in the local system. That means that no matter how much useful work you get out of your powers, it inherently results in energy turning into an irretrievable form. This is why fire powers are commonly paired with another, entropic, power. The fire powers are merely a result of the user's ability to create heat out of other forms of energy.
However, I have never seen technokinesis in an entropic form. It's usually a-entropic. That basically means that the power in question violates the laws of thermodynamics by creating useful energy out of nowhere. The leading thoughts behind these is that they do not truly violate the laws of thermodynamics... the explanation is a relatively unsatisfactory one, but since we've seen wormholes, we know that 'imaginary matter' exists in some form. So why can't 'imaginary energy' exist as well? Perhaps, then, a-entropic powers simply create a form of entropy that cannot be detected, because it exists within a system that includes some sort of undetectable energy. This is what we are referring to when we say 'imaginary energy'."

superBlast

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #694 on: April 26, 2014, 08:37:06 pm »

"Hm... I think I get what you are saying. Is it unusual to have both entropic and a-entropic powers? The way your saying sounds like it is... I think..."
« Last Edit: April 28, 2014, 07:22:33 am by superBlast »
"Come oooooon, a little insanity never hurt anyone.... Well except for that one guy, but never mind him." -superBlast

I gots a new livestream! Check it out here at http://www.twitch.tv/iamsuperblast

Caellath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #695 on: April 28, 2014, 12:37:08 am »

"Something has to be done and I will do it sooner rather than later." Russano comments as he begins to poke and prod the man with his glove, putting part of his conscious thought into it in order to make sense of whatever processes the archmagus had used in the spell. "Perfectio, where would the closest region being currently assailed by storms be? I believe having a contest of strength with nature would be appropriate training for me. And I also think we should gather a few of our acquaintances and play some dice after." The diplomat smiles as he talks to his brother.

Lightning and gambling, two of his passions. Though educated to be a diplomat, he still has two major objectives in mind related to psionics; one being the ability to manipulate plasma perfectly only to move on to even greater heights he'd rather not divulge, and the other being a drive to see how many of contemporary physics' laws he could break, bend or twist.

Start to evaluate how to safely undo the spell cast on the messenger.
"Hey steve." You speak into the air.
>Yes?
"Could you guys also make a hamburger out of this arm when they cut it off? I wanted to eat it just for the sake of tasting it."
>That is horrible and disgusting. It will no doubt set you apart and create fear in your team mates. So of course.

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: RTD 3... Let's do this again.
« Reply #696 on: April 28, 2014, 11:25:55 pm »

Roll 70

Spoiler: superBlast, AKA Ryan (click to show/hide)

The large flat structures on the front and sides are radiators (some of which can be retracted during combat to protect them). There are a lot of ornamental features that function as protection from impacts due to their distance from the relatively narrow central compartment of the ship. The actual part that most of the crew are in is much smaller than the ship itself.

superBlast, AKA Ryan

"...Very. It is a matter of mindset and thoughts. I sadly cannot tell you the answer to this mystery. You are best best judge of your own thoughts."

He stops inside the hall and unlocks a door off to the side. Inside, the room is dark and silent, but your senses indicate that the room is filled with electronics, ranging from video recorders, power supplies to old analog computers. You can hardly resist the urge to take control of it all, but fortunately for those around you the room seems to be on a closed circuit.
"All of the electronics in this room are in a closed loop. You can let your mind run free while I get my colleague. He is a full-time psychology professor here."

HEN, AKA Dominic Zoshan

You find an opening in the rails, marked off as a walkway over the plaza under construction. Disregarding the warnings, you test to make sure the cable and guard rails are sufficiently stable, then loop the hook around the base of the rails and rappel down the ledge to the level below. So far so good. [3] You then grapple back up, but overshoot the ledge after picking up speed and slam your face into the guard rail! You have some work to do. Better do it in a less busy place, however.

You navigate to the edge of the city, picking up rides from public transportation services. Over the city fence (designed to keep out wildlife), you catch a glimpse of Mount Ador, a great stone bulwark surrounded by trees and distant waterfalls. Deciding to hike up, you hop the fence over a pillar of stone and set out across the countryside for the mountain.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Unholy_Pariah, AKA Kenjaro

"Sorry, I'm afraid I can't help you there. I'm new to this village, I don't know much about the faces here.

Have a good day!"
the enchanter shouts as he disappears into the shadows behind you. You exit the store.

Outside, Hadrial comes out of the car to talk to you.
"Found anything you like?"
You brandish the invisible axe. Hadrial, with a confused look on his face, inspects your hand as you apparently make strange motions (actually, you are just spinning the axe around on its handle like you do when bored), then realizes what happened as he inspects the title of the shop behind you.
"Interesting. Is this it, or can I take you somewhere else?"
You ask for an elemental enchanter, preferably an electrical one. Hadrial looks on you with contempt, citing the fact that controlling the natural elements is a serious and rare skill that, despite its portrayal in romantic literature, involves a lot of physics knowledge before one can even hope to use it safely. That said, he drives you to a place he knows.

Caellath, AKA Russano Neskratt

"Ah Russano, you haven't changed a bit for a man of your age. Months on an interstellar voyage and you've seen nothing that changes your outlook? Space is a large place. Most of us have learned to treat nature as a force to be reckoned with, not as an equal. But regardless, we can arrange for a hike up Mount Ador, where there are constant sorts. Alternatively, there is a storm out at sea about twenty kilometers south. If you are somehow able to quell the storm, I'm sure our shippers would greatly appreciate it. Your feat would be fully documented and sent to the queen. But alas..."
Jo, incredulous at the talk of a mere person calming a storm out at sea, interjects with a sly remark of her own.
"I can tell the both of you have never been on a boat before. Not on this world."
"Well..." the knight aspirant responds. "I haven't much reason to in the past. I still have a fair bit of experience under my sleeve. Anyway, the messenger, Russano."

« Last Edit: April 29, 2014, 05:13:38 pm by _DivideByZero_ »

superBlast

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #697 on: April 29, 2014, 08:33:51 am »

"Ah... alright then." Ryan says with a slight nod, taking Geronimo up on his offer of letting him explore the machines electronics in the room. Ryan had something he wanted to ask about his fire powers... that perhaps it's also a-entropic instead of being entropic. Since a-entropy is as far as anyone knows, adds in "imaganary energy" from nowhere, why not heat energy as well? Or maybe it's both, getting the "imaginary energy" and turning that energy into heat energy?

If Ryan's thoughts are right... then he would be able to set fires out of thin air instead having to set combustible objects on fire... it could prove useful at some point... but.. he'd rather not have to use it to fight. It's one thing to kill someone, it's another to kill them in such a painful way as setting them on fire....

While thinking about his pyrokinectic powers, he let's his mind wonder through out the electronics in the room, seeing how quickly he can bend all the machine's to his will.

Try to fully control all the electronics in this closed circuit in as little time as possible.

Unholy_Pariah

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:LOOTING:MANDATORY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #698 on: April 29, 2014, 08:43:36 am »

"Your stock is certainly in the right ballpark, but none of it really matches the intended purpose of my visit."

Looking up from the various displays kenjaro regards the owner again noting both the equation on her shirt and the scarring on her arms.

"Would i be correct in assuming that the range of your goods and services is somewhat broader than you have chosen to reflect here?"
Clearly running multiple missions at the same time is a terrible idea.  The epic battle to see which team can cock it up worse has escalated again.

And Larry kinda gets blueballed in all this; just left with a raging bone spear and no where to put it.

Caellath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #699 on: May 05, 2014, 12:24:47 pm »

"Perfectio, you make it sound like I am old, something my sense of honor does not allow to go unchallenged. I, Russano Neskratt, am the youngest Aldrosian to ever become a Warlock, beating the former holder of the title for at least a few months." the diplomat says with affected seriousness before breaking into laughter. "My brother, life is very much worth living, specially when a few risks are taken."

Russano doesn't hesitate to answer which location he prefers. "Though Mount Ador sounds inviting, I will take the sea storm. I do need an idea of what to do with the energy I will have to deal with. Do we have any spares of an efficient storage medium I could use?" Noticing Josephine's attitude, he smirks. "I have been aboard space and sea-faring vessels both, lady."

See whether the effect is applied perfectly to the messenger's body or if there's a tightly-encompassing "bubble" of sorts that is keeping not only the messenger, but the space around him suspended in time.

((Thinking too much about what to post apparently ends badly.))
"Hey steve." You speak into the air.
>Yes?
"Could you guys also make a hamburger out of this arm when they cut it off? I wanted to eat it just for the sake of tasting it."
>That is horrible and disgusting. It will no doubt set you apart and create fear in your team mates. So of course.

HighEndNoob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #700 on: May 05, 2014, 09:29:28 pm »

Smell the blue mist. If it smells like some object is burning, then avoid the trench but locate the source of the mist.
(5) You manage to struggle free of the guards and sprint to a safe distance before tossing a knife at one! (5 + 1 = 6) The throwing knife zips through the air, slitting a guard's throat! It then travels around the group of guards like a boomerang. It (5) Slits another throat, (Three 6's in a row!) decapitates three more (!), (4) slices open the last guard's arm, and (2) narrowly misses a random bystander. It then flies back into your hand. Holy crap.

superBlast

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #701 on: May 05, 2014, 11:43:04 pm »

[Just wondering but... when does Tiruin's guy get into the game?]

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #702 on: May 05, 2014, 11:53:31 pm »

[Just wondering but... when does Tiruin's guy get into the game?]
;D

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #703 on: May 06, 2014, 12:36:31 am »

Huzzah!

Roll 71

Spoiler: superBlast, AKA Ryan (click to show/hide)

The large flat structures on the front and sides are radiators (some of which can be retracted during combat to protect them). There are a lot of ornamental features that function as protection from impacts due to their distance from the relatively narrow central compartment of the ship. The actual part that most of the crew are in is much smaller than the ship itself.

superBlast, AKA Ryan

Flames out of pure air is well within the realm of possibility, since all it requires is a heat source. In fact, you can already burn yourself without actually consuming your own clothes or body, so chances are that you can already create fires out of air. Just not in space or a vacuum.

[2+2] All of this old technology surrounding you gives you headaches trying to control it all. Each appliance comes from a different time period and manufacturer, having different architectures that you must work around in order to infiltrate them with your mind. It's all chaos and disarray. Nevertheless, you manage to control them all after a period of time, leaving you to wonder why Geronimo even brought you to this room in the first place--or why this room even exists, for that matter. Isn't it just too convenient?

As you ponder to yourself, you unwittingly let your mind wander. At first, the lights flicker repeatedly, their power supply most likely dwindled by the other appliances.

Unholy_Pariah, AKA Kenjaro

"Indeed it is. I'm afraid I do not sell weapons here. But I do sell parts, if you're looking for those!"
She pulls out a laser diode from beneath the desk, setting it down on the table. She also pulls out a power supply, apparently designed with a handheld trigger. Connecting the wires, she triggers a burst from the power supply, causing the diode to shoot out a bright orange beam into a carbon slab on the wall. Only just now do you realize that the walls of the shop are littered with pockmarks and craters.

"This laser diode is one example. I've got more to show you, if you're interested."
((Will continue conversation after roll.))

Caellath, AKA Russano Neskratt

[5+1] Your psionic sense allows you to perceive the interior of the timelocked region, allowing you to tell whether or not the messenger's cells are merely frozen or if even gases cannot escape if they could find a space.

As it turns out, your bubble conjecture was correct! The entire region, including vacuum space, around the messenger had been frozen in time, rather hastily, as you can tell by the traces of the Archmage's words still echoing in his work. You also feel a glimpse of the emotion of terror, held by the Archmage as the assassins likely stormed in. But you have enough information now to undo the spell, although recreating this effect could turn out to be useful. With a quick, witty snap of the fingers, the messenger's body instantly regains color and his limbs fall to the sides, cold and limp. The civilian crewman turns his head to look at you in the eyes, reeling back in his chair right after. You look behind you, thinking that the assassins are back and just entered the room, but instead you merely find a stunned Perfectio and Josephine, both amazed at your quick work and surprised by the messenger's lack of words.

New Miniquest: Time Bubbles!

HEN, AKA Dominic Zoshan

You walk over to the trench and kneel down over the thin crust of dried leaves along the forest floor. The mist definitely smells like smoke, and the mist seems to be moving along the trench of its own accord, even when the wind is blowing the opposite way. You follow the trench to investigate.

« Last Edit: May 06, 2014, 03:07:15 am by _DivideByZero_ »

Unholy_Pariah

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:LOOTING:MANDATORY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #704 on: May 06, 2014, 04:03:00 am »

"Sure ill take a look, im curious to see what you offer that could upgrade my equipment."

enquire about potential equipment upgrades and compact power generating devices for my power armor.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2014, 08:22:49 am by Unholy_Pariah »
Clearly running multiple missions at the same time is a terrible idea.  The epic battle to see which team can cock it up worse has escalated again.

And Larry kinda gets blueballed in all this; just left with a raging bone spear and no where to put it.
Pages: 1 ... 45 46 [47] 48 49 ... 75