Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Avoid things you are afraid of (vermin, god fear)  (Read 965 times)

DG

• Bay Watcher
  • Pull the Lever
    • View Profile
Avoid things you are afraid of (vermin, god fear)
« on: January 17, 2013, 09:17:02 am »

Clunky title in hope that it more easily comes up in searches. So anyway.

Do you hate spiders or do you know someone who hates spiders? I do, and they can't even bring themselves to be in the same room as a spider. There is absolutely no way they would go near a dead spider. Dwarves absolutely detest certain creatures, and my suggestion is that if assigned to refuse hauling they will never pick up the remains of a vermin they detest. Small flavour add that would probably be difficult to notice most of the time unless you're looking out for it, but DF has many such things and they are charming.

Somewhat related and potentially more interesting: make it so that individuals who have been cursed with vampirism by a god remain fearful of that particular deity. Deitys can currently be represented in game in statues and engravings. I think it would be cool if vampire dwarves did their best to avoid being anywhere near depictions of the god that cursed them. Borrowing from folklore that has vampires fearing the religious crucifix symbol as a depiction of god.

Vampires should be pretty good at disguising themselves, especially ones that have been around for a while, so it can't be a obvious black and white effect. It'd be lame if plopping a statue in the middle of your only hallway completely barred a vampire from using that path out of terror. "Urist McFangs cancels pretend to drink booze: no pathway passed vengeful god artwork". On the other hand something more subtle would be fun. Let's say your dining room is littered with various statues and engravings. During parties Urist McFangs always avoids the corner that contains a statue of God McVampiremaker. Maybe the vampire was unlucky enough to be assigned a room with an engraving of the feared god. The vampire dwarf could get a happiness penalty that isn't labelled with a descriptive sentence in the thoughts screen. Stuff like that.

There's also the option of extending this to werebeasts. Imagine the slavering wererabbit is chasing the poor peasant through the moonlit woods. The peasant notices a structure ahead and races for it. To his dismay he sees that it is abandoned and the door is broken even as he runs inside. He turns to face his death but is amazed to see the beast hesitate before turning and loping off. When morning comes the peasant notices that outside there is a chiseled engraving of Ast the Glorious Beak of Beans above the door. He wonders if that is what saved him last night?

Scoops Novel

• Bay Watcher
  • Talismanic
    • View Profile
Re: Avoid things you are afraid of (vermin, god fear)
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2013, 10:54:24 am »

Depends on how they see it. Quite a few might see it as a gift, particularly the ones with a nice supply of acceptable victims. Downsides and more "curse" origins need to be in first. As for the detestation, perhaps in some cases there bodies make them happy? As for flat-out refusal, sure that should crop up but rarely and beyond just not hauling. Not migrating to fortresses rumored to have them if they know about it, or being driven easily mad by their Eldritch (forgotten beast) form (though I'd like there to be more then one interesting way), or being teased by other dwarves about it (depending on the creature of course). Some of them should even develop a macarbre fascination, or conquer it by going the full batman. More options, is what I'm saying.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2013, 11:01:18 am by Novel »
Reading a thinner book

Arcjolt (useful) Chilly The Endoplasm Jiggles

Hums with potential    a flying minotaur

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2013, 04:13:03 pm »

Clunky title in hope that it more easily comes up in searches.
Here's hoping people actually search before posting similar topics.

The idea of fleeing from holy symbols is pretty much good as-is, but assuming that "absolutely detests spiders == arachnaphobia" needs work, especially since it means people could be afraid of mussels but not bears. Being afraid of certain animals sounds good, although it could be annoying if your weaver was afraid of spiders and kept running around the caverns whenever one showed up.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Scoops Novel

• Bay Watcher
  • Talismanic
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2013, 04:59:29 pm »

The idea of fleeing from holy symbols

I read that as Symbionts first. Yes. Where are the goddamnloved angels? :D! Similarly, a creature that looks like or possesses key traits of a god should have a varying degree of impact, as it should with general detestation's, particularly if they mistake them for such. After all, enough animals have survived by pretending to be something worse then they are, and rats and mice aren't too different :D.
Reading a thinner book

Arcjolt (useful) Chilly The Endoplasm Jiggles

Hums with potential    a flying minotaur

Babylon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2013, 03:10:41 pm »

Clunky title in hope that it more easily comes up in searches.
Here's hoping people actually search before posting similar topics.

The idea of fleeing from holy symbols is pretty much good as-is, but assuming that "absolutely detests spiders == arachnaphobia" needs work, especially since it means people could be afraid of mussels but not bears. Being afraid of certain animals sounds good, although it could be annoying if your weaver was afraid of spiders and kept running around the caverns whenever one showed up.

I wouldn't use that dwarf as the weaver, if this was implemented.  Or at least not as the one gathering silk, you can split the tasks and put a high skill loom and a low skill loom with the gather silk task.  Although you have to turn off autogather and autoloom threads, which can end up being more trouble.

CrzyMonkeyNinja

• Bay Watcher
  • He strikes from above...
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2013, 05:56:49 pm »

The idea of fleeing from holy symbols is pretty much good as-is, but assuming that "absolutely detests spiders == arachnaphobia" needs work, -snip-
Indeed. I "absolutely detest" stinkbugs, but that doesn't mean I fear them. Instead, I have an insatiable desire to DESTROY EVERY FREAKING STINKBUG ON THE ENTIRE FREAKING PLANET. I almost think that that kind of detesting could be implemented too. Perhaps detesting could be the desire to destroy while something like "is horribly afraid of –insert creature here-" could be... well... fear.
“I do not love the bright sword for it's sharpness, nor the arrow for it's swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend” - J.R.R. Tolkien

DG

• Bay Watcher
  • Pull the Lever
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2013, 09:21:46 pm »

Yeah, I only suggested it strictly for refuse haulers picking up remains to avoid that sort of annoyance. I figure the bad thoughts from encountering hated vermin is enough during other work (I'd never make a weaver out of a dwarf that hated cave spiders). It's true that it could be implemented much better in conjunction with a personality rewrite (more emotions than just "absolutely detests", dwarves that hate spiders probably hate similar creaturs etc) and on it's own it is trivial. The vermin thing was suplementary to the fear of deity representation anyway.

Adding things like this might be better done in small steps to see how they work in play rather than trying to think of everything and how it interacts and putting it in all at once. So that was the intention behind the post. That these be steps along the way of implementing a better future system of creatures noticing and interacting with their environment in accordance with their personailty and/or circumstances. I should have done a better job with the OP.

dragondorker

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2013, 01:33:05 pm »

This would be contingent upon you having control over what your engravers are making. Its pretty much random, so it's going to be annoying if you've got a guy who's afraid of god X and god X happens to be engraved in the main hauling path

And I shudder to think what'll happen if you get a guy who's afraid of engravings of cheese

sjm9876

• Bay Watcher
  • Did not so much Fall as Saunter Vaguely Downwards
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2013, 03:35:44 pm »

I actually really like this idea. Especially the god/curse part. It would be especially interesting when curse variety is introduced. If gods were to take a bigger role this could become particularly interesting, or if the cursed creature were to become scared of that god's spheres.

The idea of terror on creatures would definitely need to wait until a personality rewrite, but would work well if more variety of reactions was available, like hatred instead, where they would attack the creature. Bonus if experiences can influence this. GCS wiped out half the fort? You may find a sudden surge of arachnophobia or hatred to spiders springing up. It would certainly add to a fort's history, and that's always a good thing.
My dreams are not unlike yours - they long for the safety, and break like a glass chandelier.
But there's laughter and oh there is love, just past the edge of our fears.
And there's chaos when push comes to shove, but it's music to my ears.

Sigtext

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2013, 03:43:19 pm »

As someone suggested, 'absolutely detests' could be code for 'will smash every ____ within sight'.
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2013, 01:19:38 pm »

This would be contingent upon you having control over what your engravers are making. Its pretty much random, so it's going to be annoying if you've got a guy who's afraid of god X and god X happens to be engraved in the main hauling path

And I shudder to think what'll happen if you get a guy who's afraid of engravings of cheese
The afraid-of-gods thing is more for cursed monsters. Think of it as a new VampiRadar.

As someone suggested, 'absolutely detests' could be code for 'will smash every ____ within sight'.
"He absolutely detests dwarves."
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.