Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Natural Disasters  (Read 3878 times)

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
Re: Natural Disasters
« Reply #15 on: January 20, 2013, 01:41:16 pm »

Maybe a nearby volcano erupts, causing it to rain magma. Every "raindrop" will turn into 1/7 magma upon touching the ground.
That's...that's not how eruptions work. AT ALL.
I know. Its an abstraction. It would be a way to put it into the game using the game's engine. In most cases a volcano just spews out toxic gas. We already have that in game with evil weather. In order to differentiate it from evil weather it could do a rain of lava instead.
If a nearby volcanic eruption (nearby as in close to the fortress, but not part of the embark area) does about the same thing as evil weather then there wouldn't be much point to it, since the effect is already in the game.
Or...you know...have it spew toxic gases, and perhaps overflow.
Toady doesn't have anything against having realistic redundancy. And you could also have the lava come out the way real volcanoes erupt!
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

sakkari

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 20, 2013, 03:27:33 pm »

Maybe a nearby volcano erupts, causing it to rain magma. Every "raindrop" will turn into 1/7 magma upon touching the ground.
That's...that's not how eruptions work. AT ALL.
I know. Its an abstraction. It would be a way to put it into the game using the game's engine. In most cases a volcano just spews out toxic gas. We already have that in game with evil weather. In order to differentiate it from evil weather it could do a rain of lava instead.
If a nearby volcanic eruption (nearby as in close to the fortress, but not part of the embark area) does about the same thing as evil weather then there wouldn't be much point to it, since the effect is already in the game.
Or...you know...have it spew toxic gases, and perhaps overflow.
Toady doesn't have anything against having realistic redundancy. And you could also have the lava come out the way real volcanoes erupt!
Or instead there could be hot ash like with what happened in Pompeii changing plants into dirt or stone and maybe killing trees, killing livestock and dwarves exposed to ash and if the volcano is in the region, maybe slight ooze of lava.
"I'm no dwarf! I'm just a hobbit!"
-The Hobbit

AfellowDwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Paranoid crossdresser
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 20, 2013, 04:00:19 pm »

Or instead there could be hot ash like with what happened in Pompeii changing plants into dirt or stone and maybe killing trees, killing livestock and dwarves exposed to ash and if the volcano is in the region, maybe slight ooze of lava.
Not dwarfy enough. The ash should form ash walls on areas that are exposed enough, realeasing a portion of the killer ashes again when mined, or walked on, and flammable objects in contact with the initial ashes should be set aflame. Any toxic gasses from the vulcano should also be hot, perhaps melting materials that aren't semi-magma proof. And since these are heavy, they should flow right into an exposed fortress.
My interactive forum thing: Adventures of Sir Major

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 20, 2013, 04:58:14 pm »

Not dwarfy enough. The ash should form ash walls on areas that are exposed enough, realeasing a portion of the killer ashes again when mined, or walked on, and flammable objects in contact with the initial ashes should be set aflame. Any toxic gasses from the vulcano should also be hot, perhaps melting materials that aren't semi-magma proof. And since these are heavy, they should flow right into an exposed fortress.
The ashes, once cooled down, are mostly safe. An evil area volcano would be fun though.

AfellowDwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Paranoid crossdresser
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 20, 2013, 05:45:53 pm »

The ashes, once cooled down, are mostly safe.
Vulcanic ashes are microscopicly small and razor sharp. They're pretty bad for the lungs.

sakkari

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 20, 2013, 05:49:22 pm »

Vulcanic ashes are microscopicly small and razor sharp. They're pretty bad for the lungs.
If this goes into effect though, the thing would be how would you safely remove ashes then? Would Toady have to make a new article of clothing like a scarf or bandanna to prevent you from inhaling in the ash?
-The Hobbit

AfellowDwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Paranoid crossdresser
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 20, 2013, 06:50:14 pm »

If this goes into effect though, the thing would be how would you safely remove ashes then? Would Toady have to make a new article of clothing like a scarf or bandanna to prevent you from inhaling in the ash?
Have a vampire do it for you? Hope the remover lives to be treated by the doctor? Set up cave-ins?
Well, I suppose you should have some way of removing ash slowly but carefully, perhaps with a small chance of inhaling a little. Maybe with the option to use it as a vertiliser afterwards?
« Last Edit: January 20, 2013, 06:56:32 pm by AfellowDwarf »

sakkari

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 20, 2013, 09:00:49 pm »

Have a vampire do it for you? Hope the remover lives to be treated by the doctor? Set up cave-ins?
Well, I suppose you should have some way of removing ash slowly but carefully, perhaps with a small chance of inhaling a little. Maybe with the option to use it as a vertiliser afterwards?
Yeah the ash would have the same property as the ash you can make.
-The Hobbit

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 20, 2013, 09:41:48 pm »

...If inhaled.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 20, 2013, 10:46:20 pm »

Yes, but if inhaled, you'll come down with a bad case of pneumonoultramicroscopicsilicovolcanoconiosis.

(I always wanted to use that in context)

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 21, 2013, 09:40:15 am »

Once it settles, there's not a lot of chance of it being inhaled. Just stay away from the part of the embark with the ash for a year or two, you should be fine.
Sig

AfellowDwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Paranoid crossdresser
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 21, 2013, 10:54:33 am »

...If inhaled.
Well dwarves do need some air in the long run. And inhaling ashes isn't hard if there's plenty in the air.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 21, 2013, 11:29:09 am »

...If inhaled.
Well dwarves do need some air in the long run. And inhaling ashes isn't hard if there's plenty in the air.
It's a lot harder to do once the dust settles. Unless you routinely shove your face into the dirt before inhaling.
Sig

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 21, 2013, 11:35:18 am »

Once the ashes become wet, they tend to cluster together like cement and are effectively harmless.

AfellowDwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Paranoid crossdresser
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 21, 2013, 11:46:08 am »

Once the ashes become wet, they tend to cluster together like cement and are effectively harmless.
Oh, I hadn't thought of that. Perhaps they should leave the ashes untill it rains? It would give time to gather them, and it would put a bit of a dampener on the desert/vulcano combination.
Pages: 1 [2] 3