Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: tech problem fixes  (Read 1206 times)

Robot Parade Leader

• Bay Watcher
  • Well, go on ... parade!
    • View Profile
tech problem fixes
« on: January 16, 2013, 01:57:47 pm »

Nevermind. Problem solved.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2013, 01:12:44 pm by Robot Parade Leader »

Truean

• Bay Watcher
  • Ok.... [sigh] It froze over....
    • View Profile
Re: Laptop overheating issues
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2013, 02:29:40 pm »

I am FAR from a computer guru, but: http://www.howtogeek.com/57870/ask-how-to-geek-why-you-should-never-vacuum-your-pc-converting-books-for-the-kindle-and-controlling-multiple-computers-with-one-keyboard/

I hope you didn't take your computer apart and use a vacuum cleaner to clean it. Are you saying you hooked it up to the exhaust port?
The kinda human wreckage that you love

Current Spare Time Fiction Project: (C) 2010 http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=63660.0
Disclaimer: I never take cases online for ethical reasons. If you require an attorney; you need to find one licensed to practice in your jurisdiction. Never take anything online as legal advice, because each case is different and one size does not fit all. Wants nothing at all to do with law.

Please don't quote me.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2013, 02:36:07 pm »

Shouldn't be to bad for the computer. The only thing you're like to damage is the fan. (Which appears to be pretty much not working at the moment, so...)

ed boy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2013, 02:51:44 pm »

I once had a laptop with a faulty fan. I was able to get it working in the short term by sticking an icepack underneath it, then every twenty minutes sticking that icepack back in the freezer and sticking a fresh one under the laptop.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2013, 04:47:30 pm »

Gotta watch out with that though. The computer might not like the temperature shock.

darkrider2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2013, 05:08:20 pm »

I used to do the icepack thing, though my fan was working perfectly fine at the time.

Wargame was pushing the processor too hard, and still does. I bought a laptop cooler, but that broke so I'm just not playing it right now.

Blargityblarg

• Bay Watcher
  • rolypolyrolypolyrolypoly
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2013, 08:27:43 pm »

I used to stick two bottle lids under the back two 'feet' of my laptop to try to get a bit more airflow. Can't provide any hard data on how much that helped, but it does seem to run hotter at uni where I don't have them. Of course, I later bought a laptop stand with fans in, and I finally got my desktop hooked up, so I'm using that.
Blossom of orange
Shit, nothing rhymes with orange
Wait, haikus don't rhyme

JWNoctis

• Bay Watcher
  • Definitely still alive
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2013, 10:56:43 pm »

Get your computer to a maintenance shop, and have them fix it for you. This is the easiest solution, but can cost a bit.

And I won't suggest the icepack thing. Condensation and electronics don't mix very well.
[LANGUAGE_2:ENGLISH:HOPELESSLY_BROKEN]
Adept Lurker

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2013, 01:50:32 am »

so my question is do you even hear the fan when its running at that crazy temp?

fqllve

• Bay Watcher
  • (grammar) anarcho-communist
    • View Profile
    • ufowitch
« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2013, 07:06:52 am »

Like Truean said, it's generally not advised that you vacuum your computer. So likely what you'll have to do is take it apart and clean everything separately, or you can get someone to do it for you. Then you should probably replace your fan, since that's generally gonna be inexpensive, and also consider getting a fan pad. If that doesn't work, I'd recommend downclocking your CPU and trying only to use your laptop in cooler environments. If you're feeling adventurous you could also try replacing the thermal paste on your CPU.
You don't use freedom Penguin. First you demand it, then you have it.
No using. That's not what freedom is for.

Robot Parade Leader

• Bay Watcher
  • Well, go on ... parade!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2013, 09:30:27 pm »

Yeah, crap, I didn't know that was bad. I hope I didn't screw up anything. I didn't seem to....
« Last Edit: September 16, 2013, 01:13:43 pm by Robot Parade Leader »

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2013, 09:53:02 pm »

well the fan can go around 50 bucks a pop depending the manufacturer then you need the knowledge of how to dismantle the laptop delicately without trashing the mobo or anything.

fqllve

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • ufowitch
« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2013, 10:25:05 pm »

Well you definitely wouldn't want to overclock it, you'd want to underclock it which is the opposite. I dunno about on Windows but on Linux it's really simple with CPU Frequency Monitor. It doesn't actually downclock your CPU, instead it just puts a limit on your CPU usage. I'm sure there are similar programs for Windows. Of course that's kind of a last ditch thing because it really limits your computer's power. I ran my old laptop at 50% for about a year and it effectively rendered the thing into a netbook.

The easiest solution would be to get a fanpad, which wouldn't run you more than $20. 50 C is just fine, especially at load, but I would probably get a fanpad just to improve airflow and make sure it doesn't get to 90 C again because that's pretty awful...

The cost of fan replacement is gonna vary a lot depending on how easy it is to get to your fan, whether the manufacturer sells fan itself or only it and the heatsink, and who you take it to. The fan itself shouldn't cost more than $30, but a fan and heatsink will run about what Tellemurius said and labor costs will be higher. In that case though you might find someone who'll just throw a generic fan on there.

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2013, 11:11:41 pm »

Well you definitely wouldn't want to overclock it, you'd want to underclock it which is the opposite. I dunno about on Windows but on Linux it's really simple with CPU Frequency Monitor. It doesn't actually downclock your CPU, instead it just puts a limit on your CPU usage. I'm sure there are similar programs for Windows. Of course that's kind of a last ditch thing because it really limits your computer's power. I ran my old laptop at 50% for about a year and it effectively rendered the thing into a netbook.

The easiest solution would be to get a fanpad, which wouldn't run you more than $20. 50 C is just fine, especially at load, but I would probably get a fanpad just to improve airflow and make sure it doesn't get to 90 C again because that's pretty awful...

The cost of fan replacement is gonna vary a lot depending on how easy it is to get to your fan, whether the manufacturer sells fan itself or only it and the heatsink, and who you take it to. The fan itself shouldn't cost more than $30, but a fan and heatsink will run about what Tellemurius said and labor costs will be higher. In that case though you might find someone who'll just throw a generic fan on there.
its rare to find a generic fan to throw in a laptop let alone that will match your heatsink

fqllve

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • ufowitch
« Reply #14 on: January 17, 2013, 11:29:45 pm »

Yeah I probably should have indicated that better. It is a possibility though.
Pages: [1] 2