Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 66

Author Topic: American Politics Omnibus Megathread of DOOM  (Read 69706 times)

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
Re: American Politics Omnibus Megathread of DOOM
« Reply #105 on: January 16, 2013, 11:31:31 am »

Turning away from the arthritic old guns debate between mass-murderers and nazis, we have a more productive and, I think, urgent issue before the national conscience.

Aaron Swartz, perhaps most immediately recognizable as a co-founder of Reddit, and I think easily describable as a Cory Doctorow protagonist, and his legacy.

I didn't think too much of this- high-profile suicides are somewhat occasional- but this article has clearly summarized what is most disturbing about his legal battles.

A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

FearfulJesuit

• Bay Watcher
  • True neoliberalism has never been tried
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: January 16, 2013, 11:49:11 am »

I'd like to see some candidate come out in 2016 on the platform of criminal justice reform.

But it probably won't happen.

Maybe a law jailing prosecutors for defendants who go off the deep end?
« Last Edit: January 16, 2013, 11:59:18 am by dhokarena56 »

@Footjob, you can microwave most grains I've tried pretty easily through the microwave, even if they aren't packaged for it.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: January 16, 2013, 11:54:15 am »

The thing is this law only applies to murders anyway, so you'd already be in massive trouble without this law.
Do you have a source on this? I've currently woken up and am currently trawling the net trying to find something appearing to be an official transcript of the word of the provision, and new stories, at least, are waffling back and forth as to whether it's just killing or, as you say, specifically murder (At least one I've seen so far is saying that killing a first responder becomes first degree murder, with not mention as to mitigating circumstances -- so a manslaughter or self-defense charge would be upgraded.). The latter case would be pretty much no-issue (well, maybe. Mandatory sentencing in general is a bit scuzzy.) but the former has potential problems. A link to something official would be really nice...

As for what you linked, PTTG, what's your $0.02 on it? Most of what I'm taking away from reading that article is that maybe we should be reigning back the legal system a bit instead of relying on prosecutors to "correctly" inconsistently apply the law.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Bot Hack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: January 16, 2013, 12:03:52 pm »

Gun laws are another non-issue that can not possibly be handled by a massive empire-government such as the USA. It is the same with marriage rights, abortion, drugs, and simply most laws in place now. The only thing to stop these things or allow these things in your community is you.

I abhor the next news reel about a mass school knifing.

The thing about laws is that you can never not submit to them. You either abstain and stay safe or commit and live further, if you aren't CAUGHT.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: January 16, 2013, 12:06:30 pm »

http://open.nysenate.gov/legislation/bill/S2230-2013

Several sections of the bill create new and enhanced penalties for
illegal gun use. Sections 33 through 36, known as "Mark's Law," will
include the intentional murder of certain first responders in the
Class A-1 felonies of murder in the first degree and
aggravated murder. The mandatory penalty for a conviction of
aggravated murder is life without parole.
Pretty sure it's murder, most articles which have specified say so too.

Morrigi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: January 16, 2013, 12:10:25 pm »

Gun laws are another non-issue that can not possibly be handled by a massive empire-government such as the USA. It is the same with marriage rights, abortion, drugs, and simply most laws in place now. The only thing to stop these things or allow these things in your community is you.

The thing about laws is that you can never not submit to them. You either abstain and stay safe or commit and live further, if you aren't CAUGHT.
This could not be more true. There is absolutely no point in banning "assault weapons" in a country where the vast majority of deaths by firearms are caused by handguns and there are millions... hundreds of millions of perfectly legal firearms within the country, the governmental seizing of which would almost certainly cause the Second Civil War.

Edit: FBI homicide statistics, 2007-2011: http://www.fbi.gov/about-us/cjis/ucr/crime-in-the-u.s/2011/crime-in-the-u.s.-2011/tables/expanded-homicide-data-table-8
« Last Edit: January 16, 2013, 12:17:01 pm by Morrigi »
Cthulhu 2016! No lives matter! No more years! Awaken that which slumbers in the deep!

FearfulJesuit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: January 16, 2013, 12:28:21 pm »

The slimeballs running my home state, Pennsylvania, are introducing a bill to allot electoral votes by congressional district. Although Pennsylvania hasn't voted red since '88, it is gerrymandered to hell (How gerrymandered? Voted blue this year, but has twice as many Republican Congresscritters as Democrats), and had this bill been passed before 2012 we'd be awaiting the inauguration of President Romney.

There's only one upside I can see to this: if it steals the 2016 election, there will be such a huge outcry we'll have to do something about gerrymandering. And if, or when, it does happen, 2020 really will be the death knell for the Republicans.

I know the article's from ThinkProgress; I'm a-Googlin' to find a less partisan citation. I can't find one, yet, but it's only been an hour...

On the bright side: Obama: It's time for universal background checks.

Keep in mind, however, we're likely to see an impeachment attempt opened within a couple days.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2013, 12:54:52 pm by dhokarena56 »

@Footjob, you can microwave most grains I've tried pretty easily through the microwave, even if they aren't packaged for it.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: January 16, 2013, 12:32:08 pm »

http://open.nysenate.gov/legislation/bill/S2230-2013
Yeah, the actual sections in question state that the person doing the killing must have reasonably known the person in question was a first responder, as well as have been in a sound state of mind, etc. Most of my troubles with that provision of the bill (beyond the bullshit mandatory aspect, of course) are covered by that.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

FearfulJesuit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: January 16, 2013, 01:01:44 pm »

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nadaka.us
« Reply #114 on: January 16, 2013, 01:09:44 pm »

Florida Govorner Rick Scott adopted a dog during has last gubernatorial campaign as an animal rescue. The dog later disappeared and there was a coverup on what happened to it. Turns out he just gave it back when the race was over and he didn't need to seem like he had even a tiny bit of human compassion anymore.

http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/sideshow/mystery-solved-gov-scott-missing-dog-170659491.html
Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't comin' back...
I don't care cause I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me...

I turned myself into a monster, to fight against the monsters of the world.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: January 16, 2013, 01:20:28 pm »

Wow.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: January 16, 2013, 01:34:07 pm »

This could not be more true. There is absolutely no point in banning "assault weapons" in a country where the vast majority of deaths by firearms are caused by handguns and there are millions... hundreds of millions of perfectly legal firearms within the country, the governmental seizing of which would almost certainly cause the Second Civil War.

Edit: FBI homicide statistics, 2007-2011: http://www.fbi.gov/about-us/cjis/ucr/crime-in-the-u.s/2011/crime-in-the-u.s.-2011/tables/expanded-homicide-data-table-8

I disagree- handguns have utility; assault weapons simply do not. The only use of an assualt weapon is the mass slaughter of unarmed human beings. Even if there was a legitimate need for an insurgency, if you'll allow a little pandering to the paranoid, you'll notice that successful insurgencies don't send a squad of AKs against a bunch of jack-booted thugs- they send one guy with a hunting rifle on a snipe hunt.

So, assault weapons just do not have any use besides mass shootings. So why allow them? The country got along just fine when they were banned before.

Handguns, hunting rifles, fine. Coilguns and crossbows? Great, I have one of each. AKs and ARs? What place are you planning on shooting up?
« Last Edit: January 16, 2013, 01:38:02 pm by PTTG?? »

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nadaka.us
« Reply #117 on: January 16, 2013, 01:37:53 pm »

You say, there is no purpose for an "assault weapon" except mass slaughter of human beings. But that isn't true. They are used for hunting and sports shooting like any other rifle.
Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't comin' back...
I don't care cause I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me...

I turned myself into a monster, to fight against the monsters of the world.

Mictlantecuhtli

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinning God of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: January 16, 2013, 01:51:47 pm »

You say, there is no purpose for an "assault weapon" except mass slaughter of human beings. But that isn't true. They are used for hunting and sports shooting like any other rifle.

Semi-automatic rifles with high capacity and high-power rounds that can fire ~15-30 rounds a clip are not for hunting. Target shooting, yes, but I don't really give a shit if someone's hobby is being infringed on if that hobby can help lead to 10+ mass shootings per year. We cannot solve the gun violence issue in our country unless we address the thing that is the issue causing deaths, namely that Gun part of it.

You don't stop people from using Heroin by banning needles.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2013, 01:54:13 pm by Mictlantecuhtli »
I am surrounded by flesh and bone, I am a temple of living. Maybe I'll maybe my life away.

Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth,
Card-carrying Liberaltarian

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: January 16, 2013, 01:55:14 pm »

In that case, use any other rifle.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 66