Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: FATE Core kickstarter  (Read 3200 times)

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
FATE Core kickstarter
« on: January 06, 2013, 11:12:33 am »

I wasn't going to post about this, but after reading through the whole WIP, I figured it was relative to Bay12's interests and this subforum.

(Art stolen from the kickstarter pages)

FATE (or Fantastic Adventures in Tabletop Entertainment) is hands down my favorite tabletop RPG system. So much, in fact, that I ran a Persona RPG (Demon Harem Wars) with it both via Maptool and briefly on these forums, and I even attempted a Homestuck RPG on here (SUBURB) that used the FATE rules near the end of its run. FATE "Third Edition" or "FATE Core" has been in the works for some time now, and while the Second Edition rules I use are totally free to download and use from the Evil Hat website, the next edition is attempting to make the game even better. FATE is descended from the old FUDGE tookit from 1995, so it's not like it's some new, unheard of system.

Okay, just what the heck is FATE? What is FATE not?

FATE is:

-A ruleset for running narrative-heavy games where roleplaying and characterization make a huge difference on the outcome.
-Rules-light, but not completely. It's definitely not GURPS, but it's not a throwaway ruleset like, say, RISUS.
-Universal. The rules are generic enough to apply and very easily modify for any game or situation.
-A ruleset that can, in fact, be memorized. No looking up a level nine spell for ages.

FATE is not:

-A system where enemies explode into golden EXP orbs. Advancement is more about creating new aspects of your character to sway the game world.
-A system based around hard numbers. Every statistic is relative to another depending on the context: a character with Fair Swordsmanship has a huge advantage against his foe with Average Acrobatics in a tight sewer, but not on the wing of a moving plane.
-A system that can be easily minmaxed. Not that I haven't seen people try. :P

What's FATE look like in play?

I am not the best GM, but here's a couple of my favorite moments from the main two games I ran.

-Dermonster, Ochita and others from the forum attempting to stop a car with a Gentech executive inside (Persona RPG). Derm scored a +3 with his Fair Archery roll from the rooftop of a building versus the driver's -1 to Average Driving, a total success measure of 5. On the stress track I was using, this was a lasting penalty to the driver, so Derm's arrow blew one of the tires straight out and caused the scene to quickly escalate. Little moments of badassery like that are what makes FATE so fun.
-Penny Mann (Blade Master) pulling a defining character moment and gaining a +2 to nailing a dude in the face just because he called her a boy. Aspects are probably my favorite part of the FATE system because they allow a character to quickly turn the tables in their favor based on their personality and history.

What's new in FATE Core?

-A rebalance and solidifcation of the system pulling mechanics from FATE 2e, Spirit of the Century and others. It introduces more meaningful options for play beyond "do this, roleplay it and roll it" or "use/gain a FATE point and sway the game by doing this, roleplaying it and rolling it" Admittedly, there's more to gameplay than that, but that's pretty much what most of FATE 2e boils down it.
-A whole lot of new content spanning setting books, extra rulebooks and even an "on-the-go" version of FATE Core condensed to 30-40 pages.

Why should I support the FATE Core kickstarter?

Because it's for cheapos. I kid, I kid, but $10 gets you the PDF version of the core book and all future expansions. Once it's been published, the FATE Core book will be exactly as free and open as the current 2E rules, so you'll have a chance to play it anyway if you don't contribute.

If anyone has any questions they don't feel are answered here or on the Kickstarter page, I'll answer them best I can.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2013, 09:03:48 am by freeformschooler »

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
Re: FATE Core kickstarter
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2013, 11:20:33 am »

Is that a cybernetically enhanced gorilla monk.

Bitoru

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2013, 11:37:58 am »

For some reason I thought this was going to be a sequel to Hero Core.

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2013, 11:41:16 am »

For some reason I thought this was going to be a sequel to Hero Core.

Minimalist space adventure: the Tabletop RPG?

Nah.

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2013, 12:25:12 am »

If y'all want to see what SotC plays like for real in a play by post, I found this one: http://forums.spacebattles.com/threads/sock-gorilla-hitler-in-his-face-for-freedom-thanatos-pbp-spirit-of-the-century-game.206756/

(there's a bit over-emphasis in combat tho, and not enough in social whatchamacallit, but it's hilarious)

It's the most complete one I've found.

I really like this system. Pretty much Dresden Files is a more evolved version of the 3e rules than Spirit. Hopefully the core rules will be even better.

EDIT: Also consider adding a link to the KickStarter other than just clicking on the image.

EDIT 2: ATOMIC ROBO RPG f*** yes...

EDIT 3: I'm seriously considering getting the $40 $45 personalized physical book (international)... I mean, I spent a lot of money in all those shitty Rifts books, and just printing a PDF is probably going to be more expensive :P
« Last Edit: January 07, 2013, 12:39:06 am by Sergius »

Org

• Bay Watcher
  • Daring Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2013, 12:47:24 am »

Bought in at the Book level a while back.
Fate isn't exactly the best, but it's Character Creation and Skills are great.
Combat is somewhat meh. It's just not very interesting.

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
  • Exploding me won't bring back your honey.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2013, 01:25:46 am »

When I saw the title I thought it was some reboot of Fate, the game Torchlight tries to pretend it's not descended from.

I wonder how the copyright issues hash out cross-media like this.
And then, they will be weaponized. Like everything in this game, from kittens to babies, everything is a potential device of murder.
So if baseless speculation is all we have, we might as well treat it like fact.

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2013, 08:51:54 am »

Combat is somewhat meh. It's just not very interesting.

Not gonna defend combat. I always end up modifying it a little anyway. Here's hoping the (slightly) wider variety of options in Core will make it less dull (stunts, advantages, etc.)

I really like this system. Pretty much Dresden Files is a more evolved version of the 3e rules than Spirit. Hopefully the core rules will be even better.

I didn't know that. Liber Celi started up a Dresden Files RPG on the PBP forum here, but it never got off its feet. Now I'm actually kinda interested in learning about it.

EDIT: Also should note I really like the deck of cards idea. Printing 'em would be far cheaper than buying FUDGE dice online. And, of course, I quite enjoy physical stuff instead of online rollers.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2013, 09:24:47 am by freeformschooler »

Virex

• Bay Watcher
  • Subjects interest attracted. Annalyses pending...
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2013, 10:50:25 am »

When I saw the title I thought it was some reboot of Fate, the game Torchlight tries to pretend it's not descended from.

Either by gambling that the other party won't sue, or by trying to argue that the distinction between computer games and table-top games is large enough that there would be no brand confusion. How effective the later is depends strongly on the judge, jury and lawyers you get.

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2013, 01:33:39 pm »

I want to be enthusiastic, but its hard.  I hate to be a bitch about this, but here it goes:

- Fate core was supposed to be an online "SRD" type thing that should have been released about a year ago.  this is just them trying to milk the kickstarter cash cow phenomenon.  I've seen several developers do this, one of the worst offenders was Eden Studios -- they had a project with a release date already announced and they postponed it so they could run a kickstarter for the same (already finished) product.  its shameless.

- FATE has a lot of problems that need to be addressed, extremely long combats and lack of lethality (nothing except mooks can really die, unless by GM fiat) are among the most glaring.  Fred Hicks dogmatically refuses to acknowledge that these problems exists, loudly shuts down anyone who wants to refer to stats by their numbers instead of by their adjectives, and pretty much poo-poos the only developer (the Strands of Fate guy) who really took Fate in a different direction.

- Despite all that, I really wanted to like Fred Hicks, but his social media streams are full of nothing but blather and advertisements for various kickstarter projects.  I un-circled him because it was so spammy.

- what this product really should be is the "accelerated edition" which, while funded, will not be delivered as part of the KS.  it is just a project they have agreed to put on their roadmap.  Fate does not need another 300+ page monstrosity (the KS draft of the PDF is 304 pages without art or formatting) but rather some sort of short concise paring down of bare essentials, the kinds of things that you build settings and compatible systems on top of.

VSCA and Diaspora really showed how it was done by stripping most of fluff and crap out.  Added some crunch and lethality to combat, and added "generic" feats or stunts or whatever instead of the multi-hundred page stunt list from games like Dresden and SotS were guilty of.  Even the FATE RPG Blog acknowledged this was needed here: http://www.faterpg.com/2011/the-core-of-fate-core/ This stuff did make it into the Fate Core PDF, so its not like it is a bad product or somehow misses the ball.

And despite all that, I'm not upset about throwing 10 bucks at the project.  The PDF has some decent information that is worth having, and I'm looking forward to seeing what they put in the toolkits.

Oh, and the card deck thing?  I think that is mainly for the LARPers.  If you dont want to buy FATE dice you can use the D6 minus D6 method to get a similar statistical spread, or you can re-label or use a table to translate regular 1-6 values to -1, 0, +1.  or you can roll percentile against a -8 to +8 probability chart.  The D6 minus D6 thing is probably easiest.

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2013, 02:17:31 pm »

I didn't know that. Liber Celi started up a Dresden Files RPG on the PBP forum here, but it never got off its feet. Now I'm actually kinda interested in learning about it.

Well some things are setting-specific (your refresh is inversely proportional to your stunts/supernaturally-ness or something and you become a NPC at refresh 0) but a lot of house rules that reduce tedium (like combat in SotC being never ending because of the absurd amount of consequences and damage capacity), not to mention too many damn Aspects. It's just a bit more refined, but basically the same game.

FATE v2.0 (RPG)
Designer(s)   Fred Hicks, Rob Donoghue
Publisher(s)   Evil Hat Productions
Publication date   2003

FATE (VG)
Publisher(s)   WildTangent
Series   Fate
Platform(s)   Windows, Mac OS X
Release date(s)   
NA May 18, 2005

I assume the RPG is in the clear...
« Last Edit: January 07, 2013, 02:24:08 pm by Sergius »

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2013, 02:29:47 pm »

Fred Hicks dogmatically refuses to acknowledge that these problems exists, loudly shuts down anyone who wants to refer to stats by their numbers instead of by their adjectives, and pretty much poo-poos the only developer (the Strands of Fate guy) who really took Fate in a different direction.

"It's not FATE if you can't have anything skill you can dream of!" Or something like that. Never tried SoTC but I can see why they took it in that direction.

Also, thanks for reminding me about D6es, I always forget about that even though it's at the end of the 2E book. I ought to dig some up and re-label them with a marker or something. Maybe search the Yahtzee box. :P

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 07, 2013, 02:43:28 pm »

"It's not FATE if you can't have anything skill you can dream of!" Or something like that. Never tried SoTC but I can see why they took it in that direction.

Yeah wah? Not sure I understand what this refers to. About FATE having infinite skills, or a specific list of skills? AFAIK Spirit and Dresden each have their list of skills, not anything you can desire (that's in Fudge, I think), and core FATE has a default skill list (obviously you'd want to add/remove some depending on setting).
« Last Edit: January 07, 2013, 02:45:17 pm by Sergius »

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 07, 2013, 03:11:13 pm »

Yeah wah? Not sure I understand what this refers to. About FATE having infinite skills, or a specific list of skills? AFAIK Spirit and Dresden each have their list of skills, not anything you can desire (that's in Fudge, I think), and core FATE has a default skill list (obviously you'd want to add/remove some depending on setting).

Exactly, FATE's original creator hates the idea of a set skill list like SoTC uses. And yes, core FATE has a default list, but it's left up to interpretation how vague/specific you want to get, and the book itself states that it's not the skill list every game should be using. FATE is closer to FUDGE in that manner.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2013, 03:12:57 pm by freeformschooler »

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 07, 2013, 03:48:57 pm »

Weird, one of the things that immediately jumped at me was that unlike Fudge, it didn't tell you about deciding the granularity yourself... also each skill in the list has a detailed explanation of what it does, how to roll vs each of the specific uses the skill has, and the stunts that are connected to this skill.

The thing about Fudge, they expect EACH player to decide their own skills, instead of coming up with the ones specific for your setting. This book so far tells me exactly the opposite: use this list, add/remove skills according to your campaign... in Fudge, one player could have a "fighting" skill, while another could have 10 different skills he had to roll depending on which weapon he was using.

Sure you're not confusing Hicks with O'Sullivan?

(and why would Fred Hicks hate the idea of a game that he co-designed?)
« Last Edit: January 07, 2013, 03:52:20 pm by Sergius »
Pages: [1] 2