Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 13

Author Topic: Sony PS4 DRM?  (Read 17330 times)

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
Re: Sony PS4 DRM?
« Reply #45 on: January 04, 2013, 11:50:42 pm »

Might be a little too close to Youtube.
There other tubes besides Youtube or so I've heard.
That was the first one I thought of on the spur of the moment.
Quote from: Eric Blank
It's Zanzetkuken The Great. He's a goddamn wizard-dragon. He will make it so, and it will forever be.
Quote from: 2016 Election IRC
<DozebomLolumzalis> you filthy god-damn ninja wizard dragon

Catastrophic lolcats

• Bay Watcher
  • [FORTRESSDESTROYER:2]
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: January 05, 2013, 12:13:16 am »

I'm finding it really hard to understand the console market these days.
In theory the wealth of console are meant to be in the cheaper prices and being much easier to operate than PCs. Now you have all this nonsense with online accounts, on-disc DLC, season passes, anti-reselling mechanisms, multiplayer passes, red rings of death, walled garden markets and possible "always online"/hardware scanning DRM in the next generation.

I just don't see why someone would go with consoles now that they've seemed to have lost all their core value. A PC is so ridiculously easy/cheap to build these days and thanks to online distribution sites like Steam, Gamer's Gate, GoG and co. it's never been easier/cheaper to download and install games. A PC still suffers from the same problems previously mentioned but if they both have the same problems why go with the inferior closed market and hardware (excluding the notion of console exclusives)?

This isn't some glorious PC master race rally speech. Just a consumer observation.     

Alkhemia

• Bay Watcher
  • aka Deep Sea Diver Man
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: January 05, 2013, 12:16:16 am »

In theory the wealth of console are meant to be in the cheaper prices and being much easier to operate than PCs. Now you have all this nonsense with online accounts, on-disc DLC, season passes, anti-reselling mechanisms, multiplayer passes, red rings of death, walled garden markets and possible "always online"/hardware scanning DRM in the next generation.

I just don't see why someone would go with consoles now that they've seemed to have lost all their core value. A PC is so ridiculously easy/cheap to build these days and thanks to online distribution sites like Steam, Gamer's Gate, GoG and co. it's never been easier/cheaper to download and install games. A PC still suffers from the same problems previously mentioned but if they both have the same problems why go with the inferior closed market and hardware (excluding the notion of console exclusives)?

This isn't some glorious PC master race rally speech. Just a consumer observation.   
Well if I could  play Blazblue or Disgaea on my PC I'd never buy a one but unfortunately it does not work that way.
"Hiken: Tsubame-Gaeshi" -Sasaki Kojirou (Grand Order}

"Please touch me. Without lying, wherever you want to touch. That is my wish." - Kiyohime (Grand Order)

"Tyranny, violation, genocide. Those are the things that I detest above all else." - Amakusa Shirou Tokisada (Grand Order)

Catastrophic lolcats

• Bay Watcher
  • [FORTRESSDESTROYER:2]
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: January 05, 2013, 12:22:34 am »

Alkhemia

• Bay Watcher
  • aka Deep Sea Diver Man
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: January 05, 2013, 12:23:21 am »

"Hiken: Tsubame-Gaeshi" -Sasaki Kojirou (Grand Order}

"Please touch me. Without lying, wherever you want to touch. That is my wish." - Kiyohime (Grand Order)

"Tyranny, violation, genocide. Those are the things that I detest above all else." - Amakusa Shirou Tokisada (Grand Order)

Ozyton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: January 05, 2013, 12:25:29 am »

People don't know better... ?

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: January 05, 2013, 12:45:35 am »

Well if I could  play Blazblue or Disgaea on my PC I'd never buy a one but unfortunately it does not work that way.
You can play Disgaea on your PC, though. Some of 'em, anyway. If your PC can handle a DS (likely) or PS2 (less likely, but still possible) emulator. Only legal way (for now, anyway) of doing so involves owning the console in question and then technical shenanigans far beyond my personal capability (mostly relating to bios extraction or whatever), but it's possible.

Not so sure about blazblue, but, well. Matter of time and all that.

And now I'm wondering why the console folks don't just make a PC compatible OS. Have a disc or small hard drive whatever that lets a full blown desktop dual-boot the console OS, provide USB controllers, go the whole nine yards. I can't help but wonder what the profit margin increase of doing that would be, assuming any occurred once you factor out the console itself (and you could counter that partially by selling the OS disc or whatev' for a fair penny, not that I can see the consoles making up much of the profit anyway, given how freakishly expensive console games are... ). And more importantly, which of the big boys are going to realize the (what seems to me, to be) obvious first and do just that.

If any of them do any time soon, anyway. The vaguely neurotic controlling tendencies (to the world view of someone that's been thoroughly inundated by the internet's general ethos, anyway) of those guys might not be willing to let go of their proprietary silliness in a reasonable time frame...

... which then makes you wonder when the outside party's going to come in, because given the situation it seems like things might be (or soon be) ripe for one.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: January 05, 2013, 12:56:34 am »

This is what I've been trying to say for years.  I used to love consoles, but Sony and Microsoft have been steadily dismantling all the advantages the format once had.  It's not an elitist claim.  It's an objective observation.  It's mostly 25-35 year old gamers who get accused of being pc gaming master race snobs, but those same people grew up playing sega and nintendo consoles.  We weren't always pc exclusive gamers.  We migrated for reasons.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Drapestar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: January 05, 2013, 01:13:15 am »

can i point out the patent application only mentions video games once and goes more in detail about blue ray movies.

just saying dont doom say until something actually happens because right now they have not said anything about what they are actually going to apply it to.
1) kill parents
2) rename batman
3) if the child survives until maturity, make him a militia captain

Garden Gnome

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: January 05, 2013, 01:15:04 am »

So, what happens if I don't realise a game exists until it's out of print, and can only be purchased, practically, used?

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: January 05, 2013, 01:17:41 am »

I'm okay with this.  No second hand sales equals more first hand sales which probably equals more games getting made to a higher quality.  THQ might be in a lot less trouble if this had been done a few years ago.

I don't see the problem here other than it being a dick move against the resale companies. I buy digital copies of games all the time. Can't resell those, can't buy them used. Even if it's not for good reasons, it's not a step in the wrong direction.

It means that if I have a PS4 and my friend has a PS4 I cannot play a game I own at his house.

That is actually the #1 issue I have. It is more then just hurting resale... it is hurting just basic "Having and enjoying a game".

Did your PS4 break down or was stollen? well I hope you enjoy customer service to get all your games reregistered to your new PS4. I hope you kept the CD-keys.

Utter bullshit.  The link in the OP clearly states that games would be locked to user accounts rather than a specific console.  This is the why games bought via PSN work right now.  You can easily just sign into your own account at a friend's house.

Sorry in this case I am correct. Incase you forget they limit the number of PS4s you can do that on.

So NO all that does to my statement is that you can have ONE FRIEND'S PS4 you can play it on.

lordcooper

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a number!
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: January 05, 2013, 01:22:42 am »

Incase you forget they limit the number of PS4s you can do that on.

Where exactly does it say that?
Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: January 05, 2013, 01:23:56 am »

Incase you forget they limit the number of PS4s you can do that on.

Where exactly does it say that?

The PS3 does this already, except in their case it is for downloadable content.

EA has also done this for PC.

Which come to think of it, the trouble with doing tournaments is going to get tougher.

Moghjubar

• Bay Watcher
  • Science gets you to space.
    • View Profile
    • Demon Legend
« Reply #58 on: January 05, 2013, 01:25:22 am »

Well, what a shame.  Ah well, expect it to be cracked just like everything else.

In any case, consoles have more or less lost all business from me.  I am at the point where I rarely even want to play any of the games on them(let alone buy anymore: I only buy one as a guilty pleasure every other year, and rent perhaps 1 every year otherwise now).  There is an amazing amount of content to be had on PC that just plain makes it a better investment... either free stuff or deeply discounted things you just can't get on consoles.

Perhaps some of these 'new' consoles will change things... but they will have to go nutso to do it.
Steam ID
Making things in Unity
Current Project: Demon Legend
Also working on THIS! Farworld Pioneers
Mastodon

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: January 05, 2013, 01:28:34 am »

It will be interesting to see what happens with the Ouya.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 13