Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12

Author Topic: Homosexuality  (Read 16762 times)

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
Re: Homosexuality
« Reply #150 on: January 15, 2013, 06:39:04 pm »

In the current marriage system, I do not think the Dwarves "want" to have babies with other Dwarves, but the babies are randomly poofed into existence anyways.
So how does this relate to your bizarrely obtuse last post? What does it mean??

Married homos don't have babies.

Dwarven forts, being overrun by zombie elephants and such, will likely leave homos and women together.

I may have missed a preposition, I really don't care.

what

Also, yes, homosexuality can't be modded. If it could, I would have had it in all of my mods. Fortbent, especially, as the complete lack of heteronormativity is a very important part of troll culture.

Also... if you're worried about homosexuality offending people, why don't you go on a crusade against gender equality in dwarven society? I mean, women can fight and work and aren't submissive to their husbands! Next thing you know they'll be able to hold noble positions! Oh wait, they already do.

The goblins may truly believe they are rescuing the children they abduct, and is one of the areas of DF that has enough depth to drown yourself in; the morality of the Dwarf, the Hostile and the Overseer.

Not terribly relevant to this thread however.

If I may derail a bit further for one question: what do Goblins do with these kids? I figured they ate them or sold them to slavery. I fucking hate these green assholes.

The goblins raise them as their own children... I.E, as child soldiers, but still.

Bot Hack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: January 15, 2013, 06:46:16 pm »

In the current marriage system, I do not think the Dwarves "want" to have babies with other Dwarves, but the babies are randomly poofed into existence anyways.

Dwarven forts, being overrun by zombie elephants and such, will likely leave homos and women together.

what

Oh, poop. I'll just say this. Homos should be "bi" so they at least continue the generations. Homosexuals are very interesting in that I do not believe being gay is hereditary.

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: January 15, 2013, 06:56:30 pm »

This thread really makes me want to get off my butt and code that DFHack plugin that will indeed allow you to have homosexual relationships in DF.  I've done it the hard way through manual memory tweaking, and the game is surprisingly tolerant of it already.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: January 15, 2013, 06:59:19 pm »

oh do it please

I mean, really, please, please do it. It would be very important for my modding :3

Oh, poop. I'll just say this. Homos should be "bi" so they at least continue the generations. Homosexuals are very interesting in that I do not believe being gay is hereditary.

Homosexuality cannot threaten the continuing survival of a species. It is far too rare to do so. And it is not hereditary, for the most part; it's more of a hormonal thing in the womb. It is very much not a choice, but probably not genetic.

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: January 15, 2013, 07:02:51 pm »

Supposedly recent studies have indicated that it's epigenetic for most people.  So it's semi-heritable.  And no, it certainly does not threaten the species, nor dwarven kind in DF.

Once I figure out how to get a proper install of VS2010 on a PC that I can code on I'll get to work on that plugin.  I believe I read a post from Quietust somewhere about how VS2012 won't work, which naturally is what I have.  Or I could learn Lua I reckon.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: January 15, 2013, 07:07:40 pm »

Homosexuality cannot threaten the continuing survival of a species. It is far too rare to do so. And it is not hereditary, for the most part; it's more of a hormonal thing in the womb. It is very much not a choice, but probably not genetic.

AFAIK, homosexuality works a lot like handedness. There's some genetic aspect to it, and some developmental aspect to it, but it all happens extremely early, probably before birth even.

Most people are right handed. Some people are left handed. Some are ambidextrous. Its unusual if you look at how often it occurs, but its really not that big of a deal. Its just one of those interesting quirks that some percentage of the population has. It may even be beneficial with regards to evolution in some way.

Of course a species that is purely homosexual won't reproduce so that species will not be around to study, but homosexuality appears to exist in a very wide range of species, including non-mammals. I think there's something subtle yet useful about it.

Bot Hack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: January 15, 2013, 07:15:55 pm »

AFAIK, homosexuality works a lot like handedness. There's some genetic aspect to it, and some developmental aspect to it, but it all happens extremely early, probably before birth even.

Most people are right handed. Some people are left handed. Some are ambidextrous. Its unusual if you look at how often it occurs, but its really not that big of a deal. Its just one of those interesting quirks that some percentage of the population has. It may even be beneficial with regards to evolution in some way.

Of course a species that is purely homosexual won't reproduce so that species will not be around to study, but homosexuality appears to exist in a very wide range of species, including non-mammals. I think there's something subtle yet useful about it.

Speaking purely for ambidextrousness, I find it incredibly irritating that my left hand acts retarded in simple tasks my right hand accomplishes. This sort of thing should be dealt with in school like learning multiple languages, so my life isn't merely handed to me through out and I have the means to accomplish many things.

Sorry for sounding sentimental but I drank three beers and am going for a forth.

Enjoy! http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/143/60642 LOL we may have to change the title of the thread to morality if I keep derailing. I'll stop, or mix in relevance. My bad.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2013, 07:17:35 pm by Bot Hack »

Slayerhero90

• Bay Watcher
  • Time for Taako's opinion.
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: January 15, 2013, 07:26:26 pm »

My opinion:
Eh, why not.
My tumblr.
Yeah no I don't haunt here anymore. Peace

k33n

• Bay Watcher
  • So it goes.
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: January 15, 2013, 08:11:53 pm »

It isn't the same thing. Including different races doesn't say anything about a race except that they exist.

Including Homosexuals in the game is, in the current political environment, an outright political statement.

Mind you homosexuality in videogames tends to be handled insultingly anyhow... to everyone. Mostly because it tends to be used for shock value.

Firstly, a gaggle of hysterical Americans does represent the "political environment", as in most countries in the developed world it is not a an issue at all (HINT: The player base is international).

Secondly, including Homosexual attraction in the game says nothing other it exists.

Askot Bokbondeler

• Bay Watcher
  • please line up orderly
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: January 15, 2013, 08:12:42 pm »

Of course a species that is purely homosexual won't reproduce so that species will not be around to study
lies

GoombaGeek

• Bay Watcher
  • Horrors! Crundles in the caverns!
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: January 15, 2013, 08:35:03 pm »

Prepositions matter >:(

And, why do you keep saying "homos"? I don't think that's very nice, not sure though (mostly I've heard it used like "damn homos get off my lawn").
My wooden badge was delicious.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: January 15, 2013, 09:36:32 pm »

Yeah, it's pretty disrespectful.

Bot Hack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: January 16, 2013, 12:33:31 am »

I do not know that. I'll call them gays, homosexuals, homos, maybe even friend. Tee hee.

It's 9:30 at night and I am antsy from too much inaction. I'm walking three miles to a park in 30 degree weather(big jacket) to read more Thoreau. Excuse me, good night.

Live the idealism friend.

Aerie

• Bay Watcher
  • Mae fy hofrenfad yn llawn llyswennod.
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: January 16, 2013, 12:46:15 am »

Sexuality is as much of a choice as it is genetic. While it's true that you can develop homosexuality or heterosexuality, the people who say "I can't change who I'm attracted to" have never tried.
Play my forum game, The Darkness Below!

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: January 16, 2013, 12:57:45 am »

I have. I've tried long and hard to be bisexual, because I like to have more choice in the matter. I've convinced myself of weirder things.

Couldn't convince myself to like dudes. Too bad.

Also, people have committed suicide because they've been forced. People have died. You're saying that these people had the choice? That they wouldn't have killed themselves if they just tried harder?
« Last Edit: January 16, 2013, 01:00:05 am by Putnam »
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12