Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: First "fun" experience!  (Read 1231 times)

Turkkuler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
First "fun" experience!
« on: January 03, 2013, 10:26:38 pm »

Hello people! this is my first post. i started playing dwarf fortress some days ago and after much confussion and much reading of the wiki i managed to build a functional fortress. hurray! just in time for a titan to come along and slaugther my (much unexpirienced) squad. after sending squad after squad of unarmed, untrained dwarfs and loosing half the population i managed to kill the unholy beast.

while cleaning up the mess my first goblin siege came along, the first wave was almost entirely caged by my traps, but the second murdered every last one of my dwarves. this game is indeed fun

anyway just wanted to introduced myself to the community sorry for any bad english!

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
Re: First "fun" experience!
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2013, 11:07:47 pm »

I wouldnt call that bad english. :) And welcome to Dwarf Fortress. May you have lots of fun.
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Man of Paper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2013, 11:18:14 pm »

Better than my first few dozen fortresses, which all died of dehydration by the end of the first year. You're off to a good start!

Turkkuler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2013, 11:51:30 pm »

thanks! i think i might have made a mistake with my current fortress, i decided to murder the elf traders and steal all of their stuff once they were inside my fortress, im expecting to see some consecuenses. it seemed like the dwarfiest way to trade with the bastards...

Scootagoose

• Bay Watcher
  • I'll kill them before I do.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2013, 01:32:22 am »

Better then having a bunch of goblins sneak in through a hole you dug in the wall on accident  ;). Welcome to Bay12!
Unf.

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2013, 06:00:28 am »

I give you my geetings, new Bay12-er!

[EDIT:I think a geeting is a type of fish.]

Goblins sneaking in through a hole you dug? No, trying to trade wood mugs to the elves is worse. They ambushed my fortress (fortresses aren't that hard to ambush, they don't move around much) and charged in through my door, that I had tried to lock but a butterfly was in the way. ‼FUN‼ ensued.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Turkkuler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2013, 12:47:01 pm »

I give you my geetings, new Bay12-er!

[EDIT:I think a geeting is a type of fish.]

Goblins sneaking in through a hole you dug? No, trying to trade wood mugs to the elves is worse. They ambushed my fortress (fortresses aren't that hard to ambush, they don't move around much) and charged in through my door, that I had tried to lock but a butterfly was in the way. ‼FUN‼ ensued.

Holy shit! a butterfly jammed your doors??, this game is more complex than i imagined, it's gonna take some time untill i get the hang of it. the important thing is that my dwarfes aren't starving to death now, that's something..

rumpel

• Bay Watcher
  • test
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2013, 04:20:38 pm »

A butterfly jamming trough the door? Welcome to fucking Boatmurdered!

And you, new dwarfist, welcome to the community! And the best way to deal with those tree huggers is indeed to kill them. :D
« Last Edit: January 04, 2013, 04:37:16 pm by rumpel »

IronTomato

• Bay Watcher
  • VENGEANCE
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2013, 04:24:02 pm »

Welcome to the twelfth bay! I can tell you enjoyed your first taste of sparta madness!
P.S As long as it's legible, It's good english to me.  :P

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2013, 07:04:15 pm »

A butterfly jamming trough the door? Welcome to fucking Boatmurdered!
Yeah, but this fort just had everyone massacred by elves with larch spears. There was no Project: Fuck The World or piles of ‼puppy chunks‼.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

☼!!Troll Fur Sock!!☼

• Bay Watcher
  • Hight Tentacle of the Eastern Marches
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2013, 07:14:40 pm »

Talking about first Fun ever - I have lost my first fortress, Thattilsodel (Autumnal Shield) because of 2 necromancer sieges at once. It was okay, I have trapped most of them in my corridor, my marksdorfs had some fun time... But then, I have no idea how I could be that dumb, they have got in through... Farms. I didn't know that necromancers can survive being submerged in 14/7 pressurized water, but okay...
Quote from: Necrisha
while I'm processing immigrants
Therefore, starve your metalsmiths for maximum gains.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2013, 12:08:11 am »

My first major fun came when I embarked in a swamp; very soon, dwarves were eaten by alligators, then by carp, then murdered by their berserk comrade.

That is, of course, not counting the numerous deaths by incompetence in the area of food production...
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

blaster339

• Bay Watcher
  • Why did the chicken REALLY cross the road?
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 05, 2013, 12:45:00 am »

thanks! i think i might have made a mistake with my current fortress, i decided to murder the elf traders and steal all of their stuff once they were inside my fortress, im expecting to see some consecuenses. it seemed like the dwarfiest way to trade with the bastards...
Welcome my friend!
We're both in the same league ;3
And indeed, its the best way to deal with those tree-hugging hippies