Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

What empire do we play as?

GWG's Psychic mindcrabs (Mindstealing crablike beings)
- 5 (12.5%)
Jbg97's Proelium Empire of Cassigans. (Warlike humanoids)
- 6 (15%)
GotdamnMiracles Ajacet (Warlike, semisuicidal Insectoid race)
- 6 (15%)
SoHowAreyou's Obin (Cybernetic Technocracy)
- 7 (17.5%)
I'manelfColaborator Harbringers (Anthrompomorphic semitribal internally divided crows)
- 1 (2.5%)
Ardas United Earth federation
- 4 (10%)
Ukranian Ranger's Order of life (Human space hippy elves)
- 7 (17.5%)
Rolepgeek Unified societies (Pascifistic aquatic beings)
- 4 (10%)
Option I
- 0 (0%)
Option J
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 19

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 22

Author Topic: Galactic Machinations (Semi suggestion game). Space elves  (Read 25056 times)

IamanElfCollaborator

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Shipper God and Freyjapiller
    • View Profile
Re: Galactic Machinations (Looking for players. Empire submission open)
« Reply #30 on: January 03, 2013, 01:24:14 pm »

Again. How are you supposed to collaborate on tech when you're too busy arguing the piss about who's better?

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 03, 2013, 01:25:12 pm »

Well, obviously if you don't have weapons-grade lasers firearms are superior, and if you don't have those blades are superior.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 03, 2013, 01:26:46 pm »

-snip-
This is so bad...
We don't have any contact with other races. We don't have any bullets or blades because why the hell should we. Finally, crows this size cannot fly.

Though I have to appreciate whatever you were smoking.
Not more than just a glimpse from the distance (radio/whatever signal), humans still use clubs and swords despite being so many years out of date, besides, there are a couple of human features which aren't really usefull anymore, and last, if the moon had an athmosphere as dense as the Earth's, even a human with wings taped on can fly.

We don't have any contact with other races. We don't have any bullets or blades because why the hell should we. Finally, crows this size cannot fly.
Why would any race not have bullets or blades? That is goddamn stupid, if you're gonna colonize other worlds you gotta have weapons to kill all the wildlife that looks at you funny.
Why use blades when you have guns, why use firearms when you have lasers?
Because firearms tend to be much more energy efficient. Holes vs boils, respectively.

Blades dont need reloading when the enemy overruns your lines. Bullets don't dissipate with distance.
Actually, lasers have the distance advantage due to being lightspeed weapons.

Again. How are you supposed to collaborate on tech when you're too busy arguing the piss about who's better?
Say what you want about the cold war, but it did stir tech development. Also, the game starts with the premise of at least basic interstellar FTL spaceflight.

Dariush

• Bay Watcher
  • I don't think I !!am!!, therefore I !!am!! not
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 03, 2013, 01:27:32 pm »

Bullets don't dissipate with distance.
My brain just imploded from the absolute, indescribable idiocy of this sentence. I cannot even begin to imagine in which horrendously twisted world it may even remotely approach being right. It's stupid, that's what I'm trying to say here.

IamanElfCollaborator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 03, 2013, 01:29:03 pm »

Also, where did I imply that we only had those tech? The Arioch did unite everyone, so possibly they did some research-screw it. Feel free to ignore the Corax, since I don't feel like being banned by inadvertently starting a fight.

Jbg97

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 03, 2013, 01:30:02 pm »

My brain just imploded from the absolute, indescribable idiocy of this sentence. I cannot even begin to imagine in which horrendously twisted world it may even remotely approach being right. It's stupid, that's what I'm trying to say here.
Soooo, bullets disintegrate after you fire them? I'm no weapons expert but that doesn't seem right.
Quote from: NW_Kohaku
DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF.
Quote from: Owlbread
Everything will burn. Everything must burn.
Quote from: Girlinhat
The science of burning innocent children could be perfected into clockwork.
Quote from: Insanity X
And that is how Jbg97 saved dwarfmas

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 03, 2013, 01:31:55 pm »

Let it go.

Soooo, bullets disintegrate after you fire them? I'm no weapons expert but that doesn't seem right.
No, they just drift. And eventually fall.

Anyways, lasers can cause grevious damage to a body with a single shot. In an antimaterial role, it could presumably melt the armor of a vehicle. Obviously, it's not too energy-efficient, but by the time you get FTL you're throwing lots of controlled energy around anyways.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

scapheap

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a good guy...girl. My horse just eat souls.
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 03, 2013, 01:32:14 pm »

Every weapons has it use. No one will use a shotgun for range and a sniper rifle for close combat. Lasers, bullets and blades all have ups and downs and be swap out when needed.
You were planning to have a 15 year old magical girl kill Witches by drinking them under the table!? It's original, at least.
Morpheus, a magic girls game

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 03, 2013, 01:35:35 pm »

Anyways, lasers can cause grevious damage to a body with a single shot. In an antimaterial role, it could presumably melt the armor of a vehicle. Obviously, it's not too energy-efficient, but by the time you get FTL you're throwing lots of controlled energy around anyways.
In most cases however, a bullet with the same force won't even leave a body/vehicle to shoot at.

Edit: I tremendously suprises me that we haven't got a standard human faction yet.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2013, 01:41:33 pm by 10ebbor10 »

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 03, 2013, 01:45:30 pm »

In most cases however, a bullet with the same force won't even leave a body/vehicle to shoot at.
How do you fire a bullet at lightspeed, or so I have no idea what you mean?

Edit: I tremendously suprises me that we haven't got a standard human faction yet.
Humans are boring.
Sig

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 03, 2013, 01:49:44 pm »

Really fast. Nah, but the advantages of laser is speed and accuracy, but where a laser vapourizes what it shoots at, the bullet just deforms, doing more damage for less energy.

Jbg97

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 03, 2013, 01:49:59 pm »

Force, not speed. A solid projectile can easily put out much more force without having to move at light speed.
DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF.

IamanElfCollaborator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 03, 2013, 01:50:32 pm »

Sorry for starting this entire thing. :/

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: January 03, 2013, 01:52:40 pm »

Really fast. Nah, but the advantages of laser is speed and accuracy, but where a laser vapourizes what it shoots at, the bullet just deforms, doing more damage for less energy.
I doubt that vaporization can ever be considered LESS damage than anything...and, again, once you get FTL you're probably harnessing the equivalent of modern-day cities to power children's toys.

Force, not speed. A solid projectile can easily put out much more force without having to move at light speed.
Lasers are a lot cheaper to get moving at lightspeed, and it's not the speed that breaks stuff with lasers. It's the heat.
Force is tricky when dealing with light. Light is pretty much massless, so there's no force either. Just heat and such.
Sig

Jbg97

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: January 03, 2013, 01:57:32 pm »

I doubt that vaporization can ever be considered LESS damage than anything...and, again, once you get FTL you're probably harnessing the equivalent of modern-day cities to power children's toys.

Lasers are a lot cheaper to get moving at lightspeed, and it's not the speed that breaks stuff with lasers. It's the heat.
Force is tricky when dealing with light. Light is pretty much massless, so there's no force either. Just heat and such.
Well there would be recoil. If you're using enough energy to vaporize a tank, that is a ton of light and energy in one spot, and light has energy and momentum,which will cause noticeable recoil.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 22