Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1041 1042 [1043] 1044 1045 ... 1086

Author Topic: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A roaming horde appears on the horizon!  (Read 1863948 times)

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A roaming horde appears on the horizon!
« Reply #15630 on: January 17, 2015, 11:07:49 pm »

Can they use winches? Because I would say turn them off or kill them all.

Kaitol

• Bay Watcher
  • Heya, Red.
    • View Profile
« Reply #15631 on: January 17, 2015, 11:37:51 pm »

You could hide your room with all your stuff in it behind furniture they can't move, in an otherwise safe and sealed room.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #15632 on: January 18, 2015, 10:21:42 am »

I used to create a billboard in an adjacent structure and just order them to wait there before I went home every day. That seemed effective... except for the whole having to convince them to follow you again deal.   But I understand it's diffrent now.

At any rate setting aside a separate "House" for them to hang out in may still be effective.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

iceball3

• Bay Watcher
  • Miaou~
    • View Profile
    • My DA
« Reply #15633 on: January 18, 2015, 10:42:56 am »

Sticking it in a crate, or a locker that is out of the way should do the trick. Sticking it on a "Vehicle" is the best way to do it, so single frame cargo space will do the trick.
On the sneak attack idea; without a proper stealth mechanic it wouldn't be effective at all, as short of completely blinding them, everything will still have at least 1 tile view range. Smoke or darkness wouldn't matter.
That said, the sneak attacks wouldn't work against zombies, as they don't have directional weak-spots, nor are they ever on the defense.

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #15634 on: January 18, 2015, 02:46:07 pm »

Sticking it in a crate, or a locker that is out of the way should do the trick. Sticking it on a "Vehicle" is the best way to do it, so single frame cargo space will do the trick.
On the sneak attack idea; without a proper stealth mechanic it wouldn't be effective at all, as short of completely blinding them, everything will still have at least 1 tile view range. Smoke or darkness wouldn't matter.
That said, the sneak attacks wouldn't work against zombies, as they don't have directional weak-spots, nor are they ever on the defense.
What I usually do for storage (I don't use NPCs but it sounds like it'd be applicable) is get a fuck-tonne of shopping carts, as many as I can find, and take off the baskets. Then I replace them with cargo spaces from trucks.

Then I rename them for what I put in them, like "Scrap Material," "Electronic parts," "Foodstuffs," etc. "Books," "Weapons," "Tools,"

Then I just drag them around to bring them where I need to, for crafting or cooking or whatever.

And when I finally build my mobile battlecruiser, it's just a simple matter of using the advanced inventory to pop them into the storage compartments. Simple enough!
« Last Edit: January 18, 2015, 02:47:41 pm by Descan »
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

Kaitol

• Bay Watcher
  • Heya, Red.
    • View Profile
« Reply #15635 on: January 18, 2015, 02:49:49 pm »

That's why I said you get it on the same turn they notice you, since the opportunity for a surprising attack doesn't end the SECOND they notice you, but when they process the threat and make adjustments to meet it.

I'm pretty sure a surprise ambush works to some extent on anything that moves that doesn't have divine levels of reflexes, since you have to turn towards the threat, adjust your center of mass to meet the attack, or be hit while off balance and be open to a big hit. Zombies may not be vulnerable to pain, but they still have more or less vulnerable areas, places without lots of bone, hamstrings, etc and they can be knocked off balance as easy as anything else, even easier maybe. As for robots, you can just handwave it as their programming taking a few seconds to fully analyze and process a new situation.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #15636 on: January 18, 2015, 06:54:02 pm »

I really don't think stealth attacks should be viable on (most) zombies.  As others said, they don't act defensively even when aware of you, outside of maybe hunters.  And being off balance?  A zombie is almost perpetually off balance, they don't shamble back and fourth and walk awkwardly in movies for their health.

Animals, robots, NPCs and other such stuff sure, and if anybody want's to code such a thing on their own I wouldn't be against it personally.  But in my own headcannon it makes no sense to me for any kind of surprise attack to have any noticeable difference on a zombie, and that is kinda half the game's mobs.  In fact balance aside I would think any attack on a zombie would qualify as a surprise attack if such a system would be implemented.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Nighthawk

• Bay Watcher
  • INT Score: Yes
    • View Profile
« Reply #15637 on: January 18, 2015, 07:30:12 pm »

I really don't think stealth attacks should be viable on (most) zombies.  As others said, they don't act defensively even when aware of you, outside of maybe hunters.  And being off balance?  A zombie is almost perpetually off balance, they don't shamble back and fourth and walk awkwardly in movies for their health.

Animals, robots, NPCs and other such stuff sure, and if anybody want's to code such a thing on their own I wouldn't be against it personally.  But in my own headcannon it makes no sense to me for any kind of surprise attack to have any noticeable difference on a zombie, and that is kinda half the game's mobs.  In fact balance aside I would think any attack on a zombie would qualify as a surprise attack if such a system would be implemented.
I would disagree. A zombie that is trying to kill you would move much more wildly and unpredictably, probably flailing its arms to attack and/or trying to tackle and bite you, making it difficult to strike it with great precision. An unaware zombie, on the other hand, would be shambling about in the usual zombie manner, not moving very much, and it would be all too easy to line up a swing that would decapitate it or a stab that would sever its spine.

Kaitol

• Bay Watcher
  • Heya, Red.
    • View Profile
« Reply #15638 on: January 18, 2015, 08:12:10 pm »

In my humble opinion if its capable of staying upright and moving nearly as fast as a regular person while attacking with enough cognizance to actually hurt a sentient human being, than it has enough coordination that a blitz attack would be effective.

If these things are too stupid to keep any sort of balance they would be 0 threat to anything, because they would trip over the smallest obstacle, stumble, fall down and never be able to get back up like a turtle on its back. At best every humaniod zombie would be a crawler. The only threatening zombie would be the animals.

Gentlefish

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: balloon-like qualities]
    • View Profile
« Reply #15639 on: January 18, 2015, 10:07:44 pm »

Well, they're not so much zombies in my mind as goo-husks.

That's why I don't think "sneak crits" should apply as well. It's not the body you're killing, it's the goo you're destroying when you attack.

Angle

• Bay Watcher
  • 39 Indigo Spear Questions the Poor
    • View Profile
    • Agora Forum Demo!
« Reply #15640 on: January 18, 2015, 11:06:54 pm »

Well no, you can't really hurt the goo short of fire or acid. It IS the body you kill, cause it's wt the goo uses to move about.

Agora: open-source platform to facilitate complicated discussions between large numbers of people. Now with test site!

The Temple of the Elements: Quirky Dungeon Crawler

Rez

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15641 on: January 18, 2015, 11:11:38 pm »

in my own headcannon

Is there a headcannon (like the headguns in The Diamond Age) CBM?  There should be.

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #15642 on: January 18, 2015, 11:35:16 pm »

Nope.
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

iceball3

• Bay Watcher
  • Miaou~
    • View Profile
    • My DA
« Reply #15643 on: January 19, 2015, 12:06:21 am »

Well no, you can't really hurt the goo short of fire or acid. It IS the body you kill, cause it's wt the goo uses to move about.
Well, it is not so much kill as destroy. Ripping out arteries, trying to cause organ failure, etc would do nothing on possession.
Admittedly headshots do more significance due to the blob assimilating it for sensory usage, but fore the most part, damage to zombie tissue doesnt work like damage to human tissue. Muscles innoculated with active blob move by a different function, and the brain is mostly redundant for anything besides sensory purpouses. At that point, zombies will resist damage that could cripple someone on meth and adrenaline. Brusing would be less effective.
That said, a lot of the damage was already done in the form of rot, which the blob tries to counteract via mutations over time.

Nighthawk

• Bay Watcher
  • INT Score: Yes
    • View Profile
« Reply #15644 on: January 19, 2015, 12:30:43 am »

Yeaaaah, I'm still not entirely sure on when exactly Cata zombies get KO'd... realistically, anyway. I know esploding their heads is probably enough to put them down, but if you just, say, hacked at their upper bodies with a machete or slammed them repeatedly with a baseball bat, how much would you have to do in order to actually make them stop moving?

I lean toward the idea that "anything that kills a human kills a zombie," with the only big difference being that zombies don't feel pain, so what would be considered a mortal wound to a normal person, they would shrug off and keep on trucking through until they bleed out.

I mean, I'm pretty sure a Cata zombie is capable of bleeding out (though the game doesn't apply bleed effects to them, probably for simplicity's sake). Just considering the amount of blood that appears in-game when you kill zeds, I'm going to assume that they still use blood to transport oxygen to fuel their muscles like a living human would.

If this logic is correct, bladed weapons would be best against zombies, for their ability to cause massive wounds. Blunt and piercing weapons would be mostly ineffective hitting anywhere other than the head, but blunt weapons would have the advantage over piercing for being able to easily break bones and render the zombie helpless.
Pages: 1 ... 1041 1042 [1043] 1044 1045 ... 1086