Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 894 895 [896] 897 898 ... 1086

Author Topic: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A roaming horde appears on the horizon!  (Read 1860378 times)

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
Re: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A roaming horde appears on the horizon!
« Reply #13425 on: September 06, 2014, 05:31:33 pm »

Delving in a lab[After finally figuring out how the driving system works]. Find a barracks area. Kill some zombie soldiers. One of them is carrying a mininuke. A MININUKE. No idea what I'm going to do with it. But I have nuclear weapon now. This is probably a bad thing for most of the inhabitants of New England. But they're zombies. So who cares.

A mininuke is essentially a massively beefed up grenade. It will clear about the entire 32x texture res screen. But it's just a tactical nuke, just wait till you get your hands on a full-sized one!
Can you carry full sized nukes, or are those just the silo items?

Silo items D:

On the plus size, you can, IIRC, PUUUUUUUUURGE a 3x3 MAP TILE area with one, turning it into a crater.
Last I used one, it was questionable in effectiveness.  Didn't do much to really change the tile.  The only thing worth truly nuking is a slime pit, other things you can deal with by hand.  And the slime pit wasn't stopped by a nuke.

Nighthawk

• Bay Watcher
  • INT Score: Yes
    • View Profile
« Reply #13426 on: September 06, 2014, 07:36:25 pm »

Is anyone else having issues with flurries and 24 degree (Fahrenheit) weather at new game, despite starting in springtime?

Also, Mi-gos and skeleton dogs right off the bat = impossible to survive the first day.

Experimental is just murdering me right now and I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong.

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13427 on: September 06, 2014, 07:45:36 pm »

Is anyone else having issues with flurries and 24 degree (Fahrenheit) weather at new game, despite starting in springtime?
I think this is a feature. Sasons are more gradually changing, so the beginning of Spring is still pretty damn cold more often than not.

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #13428 on: September 06, 2014, 07:49:53 pm »

Also, Mi-gos and skeleton dogs right off the bat = impossible to survive the first day.

Experimental is just murdering me right now and I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong.

Earlygame game fuckery.

Unless you spawn in a full city, in which case you might as well suicide, get to the outskirts ASAP and hit the road. And don't you come back. No more, no more optional.

There is far less enemies in the countryside, generally speaking, and if you run into a very small community - like three houses and three services and empty field around - clear it out and you're set. Same for farms, cabins... anything remote, as long as you got clean water and a moderately stable spawns - actually a small town in the field is better than a cabin in the forest due to bears, moose and the rest of the Fun Stuff.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

Nighthawk

• Bay Watcher
  • INT Score: Yes
    • View Profile
« Reply #13429 on: September 06, 2014, 07:56:39 pm »

Shit, so I have to brave the flurries and look for a mini-community, all with only my butter knife and French Maid outfit?

This is going to be a challenge.

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #13430 on: September 06, 2014, 08:05:14 pm »

So I downloaded this game a couple of days ago, and so far I've gone through about ten, maybe twenty characters trying to figure out how everything works.
I've died many times to moose. Only a couple of times to zombies. Once because I fired a grenade launcher at a zombie dog who was right in front of me. And another time because I crashed a sports car into a house. I bled to death after I cut myself on a broken window and couldn't find any bandages. I distinctly remember being mauled by a giant spider at one point.
In other words, if anyone has any advice on not-dying, I'd greatly appreciate it.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13431 on: September 06, 2014, 08:35:56 pm »

Archery, silencers, and throwing.
Also one tile entrances, and shrubs. Use all the shrubs. Dont use cutting unless you have shit-tons of strength and skill, and dont use turrets or manhacks until you are level 20 or so in computers.
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13432 on: September 06, 2014, 09:02:31 pm »

So I downloaded this game a couple of days ago, and so far I've gone through about ten, maybe twenty characters trying to figure out how everything works.
I've died many times to moose. Only a couple of times to zombies. Once because I fired a grenade launcher at a zombie dog who was right in front of me. And another time because I crashed a sports car into a house. I bled to death after I cut myself on a broken window and couldn't find any bandages. I distinctly remember being mauled by a giant spider at one point.
In other words, if anyone has any advice on not-dying, I'd greatly appreciate it.

Give your guy fleet-footed, make a nailboard in the evac shelter (you can go grab a rock and smash some counters), pull zombies one by one into bushes until house/sporting goods store/clothing store is clear, find lots of storage clothing (preferably a backpack), continue to kite zombies and hoard everything withing a mile radius in the evac shelter. Make/find bow and arrows as soon as possible, get an emergency shotgun for "O,****" moments, and you SHOULD be able to survive indefinitely as long as you have shotgun shells and don't take risks.

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
  • Tail of a stinging scorpion scourge
    • View Profile
« Reply #13433 on: September 06, 2014, 09:14:03 pm »

Also to elaborate on the bushkite strategy, it really helps if you have some means of starting fires. Lead zombie into bush>burn bush>win is pretty much early game.

Oh, and use your knife to chop up clothes. Turns into rags/leather, which are good for making better clothes. Get a sewing kit/bone/wood needle asap and some thread and start leveling that tailoring. Once its at 2 or three start reinforcing every piece of clothing you have (even the ones you're gonna chop up) and eventually you can start making much better clothes/armor.

Oh, and Micro suggested a Nailboard as a melee weapon, I suggest the two-by-sword. Sounds lame, but its not gonna get stuck in any zombies because blunt and it can guard.

Look for screwdrivers and wrenches. That's some game altering shit right there. You can turn rocks into knives or hammers in a pinch, and hammer+screwdriver lets you start deconstructing furniture, so you can loot what's nailed down too. Start with the broken console in the Evac Shelter AND ONLY THE BROKE ONE. The working one is permalight and thus the best thing ever
7/10 Has much more memorable sigs but casts them to the realm of sigtexts.

Indeed, I do this.

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13434 on: September 06, 2014, 09:19:56 pm »

Also, rags stop bleeding. Cut with a knife pretty much anything cotton to get rags.
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
  • the first mankind all over the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #13435 on: September 06, 2014, 09:26:59 pm »

Who uses nailboards and/or 2-by-swords? With a few minutes, your character can make a knife spear out of the starting structure and rocks.
I don't use Bay12 much anymore. PM me if you need to get in touch with me and I'll send you my Discord handle.

gimlet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13436 on: September 06, 2014, 09:35:41 pm »

It all starts in character creation - especially for short term survival, take relatively harmless negative traits (I like stuff like lactose intolerance, wool/grain/junkfood allergy, insomniac, heavy sleeper, poor hearing plus the freebie Ugly/Truth Teller if you don't mind taking advantage of free points) and max out physical stats (14ish Str and Dex).  10-11 perception and then "decent" Int for longer term is nice.  The only positive traits worth the points are Night Vision and maybe Quick. (after a few games you'll learn to pick for your play style - but still most really aren't worth the points imo).   If you have a point left put it in "dodge".     Get a weapon with Parry or Block at first - even the lowly pipe.   Don't make a lot of noise, don't break windows or shoot (unsilenced) guns.  Grab a rock, break a locker, make a makeshift crowbar to pry open doors quietly (and it's a half decent melee weapon, but no Parry).  Don't get swarmed - early on if you see a bunch of zombies go the other way.   Find *some* protective clothing but don't get encumbered (1-2 points is OK at first if you have good physical stats, 3 after you get a few skill points in melee and dodge).  Sleep on piles of clothes in basements at first.

And yea, archery is awesome.  Throwing helps a lot too - weaken stuff coming at you by throwing stuff at it - early on I usually have a couple of rocks.  Throw knives, hammers, rebar, spikes, whatever.  Cry when something you liked gets melted by a spitter :D  If you have the capacity, a couple of pointy sticks and later javelins come in handy.  Draw off one or 2 enemies, move back while throwing, draw it through a bush, kill it, go pick up your throwing weapons, rinse and repeat.

Over the first couple days, once you've gathered a bit of food and water, find a sewing kit/make a needle and repair then reinforce your clothing.  Butcher every zombie/animal corpse, soon you'll start getting leather so you can repair those clothes if you have em.  Keep looking for better clothing - less encumbrance, better protection, better carrying capacity.

If the shelter's not in a horrible place (too close to triffids or fungus or something, or too far from town) I haul stuff back to the shelter, build a fireplace in the basement, use the light from the terminal to read/craft.

Arcvasti

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_ALREADY_HERE] [FRIENDSHIPPER:HIGH]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13437 on: September 06, 2014, 10:35:56 pm »

Who uses nailboards and/or 2-by-swords? With a few minutes, your character can make a KNIFE SPEAR out of the starting structure and rocks.

^^This. KNIFE SPEARS are my love.

As for character creation, putting one point in Survival lets you make the all important KNIFE SPEAR at the very beginning. Fast Healing is useful early on and mutates into Regeneration, which is a decent mutation before you get good armour and lots of first aid kits. You might also want to consider Parkour Expert, as it lets you kite zombies much better by vaulting over fences and counters. Fleet-Footed is good and stacked with Quick and/or Parkour Expert will let you abscond with the best of them. The main other positive trait I'd recommend is Robust Genetics, which is decently useful if you ever get to the stage where mutating for fun and profit is possible. The thing with taking tons of negative traits is that several of them are relevant mid to late game. Bad Back, for example, rarely impacts an early game character with a backpack, trenchcoat and cargo pants. But the weight limitation becomes crippling once you get really good storage items like the MOLLE Pack or Survivor Harness. Taking allergy/dislike of foods is also sometimes risky. Lactose and Junk food intolerance are mostly safe, but the other range from crippling[Meat intolerance] to situational[Hates vegetables/fruits]. If it gets TOO ridiculous, try turning on Classic Zombies, which I've heard is easier. Disabling skill rust might also help if you're new to the game. I've never personally had ANY luck with archery or guns, but I've heard they work. Throwing pointy sticks/wood spears is my MO for when my KNIFE SPEAR fails me. KNIFE SPEAR to the face works against most single enemies[Watch out for {Zom}bears and Hulks], but isn't effective against packs until you get the skills/armour to block all their attacks like a badass. Zombie dogs are difficult to hit[especially when unencumbered] and move quickly, so they're the main undead threat early on. If you can do it safely, go after a Soldier Zombie, as they drop really good armour which can be a game changer. The thing is, they're WEARING the armour, so they're a pain to kill. Collect anything that seems tool-like. Hammers, Crowbars and Wrenches are all essential items and double as decent throwing weapons in emergencies. If you're REALLY stuck, the wiki is pretty helpful[if spoilery].
If you expect to live forever then you will never be disappointed.
Spooky Signature
To fix the horrid default colour scheme, follow the below steps:
Profile> Modify Profile> Look and Layout> Current Theme> (change)> Darkling

Iceblaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 50% less in-jokes!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13438 on: September 07, 2014, 12:01:31 am »

Who uses nailboards and/or 2-by-swords? With a few minutes, your character can make a knife spear out of the starting structure and rocks.

When your makeshift crowbar runs out of durability and disintegrates into nothing and you need a new weapon stat.

.05 spawn rate is a bitch.

Also, are we ever going to get a toggleable to where your character's saves don't get wiped on death? Still hate that quicksaving has no use beyond savescumming. You save before fighting an NPC because you don't wanna debug? Nope. You get shot and die.

Game over, new character? y/n/q.

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
  • Exploding me won't bring back your honey.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13439 on: September 07, 2014, 12:49:46 am »

A bit late to this one but, re: the vehicle tracking module:

It sucks power and doesn't do anything you can't already do just by making a Note on the map when you park. I don't think they're worth it, and they're especially not worth bothering with a PDA for.
And then, they will be weaponized. Like everything in this game, from kittens to babies, everything is a potential device of murder.
So if baseless speculation is all we have, we might as well treat it like fact.
Pages: 1 ... 894 895 [896] 897 898 ... 1086