Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 866 867 [868] 869 870 ... 1086

Author Topic: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A roaming horde appears on the horizon!  (Read 1861329 times)

Silfurdreki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A roaming horde appears on the horizon!
« Reply #13005 on: August 15, 2014, 06:55:56 am »

So in my ever evolving efforts to STAHP HAVING 8 BILLION TORSO ENCUMBRANCE, SERIOUSLY WTF... I think I have come to a solution that lets me retain not-die-ability with storage space while fitting the parameters.

Incidentally, what all do you need to build a shopping cart from scratch? Tools/Skills/Materials wise? I know you need four casters and a wire basket, do you also need a frame? Is there some way to build a Bionic Prepper to construct one immediately, using the stuffs in the starting shelter?

I don't think you can, without modding. Mostly because you can't craft casters, but if that's modded in you'd have to use a box rather than a wire basket since the shelter does not give wires which require forging tools to make. You could use a box instead, but then you'd have to make a full steel frame which also needs a crucible as a tool.

So, in short, I don't think you can conceivably make something like a shopping cart from only the shelter materials.

...can we add that as a feature

areas which increase your default encumbrance due to "increased gravity" or whatever the hell you figure out as a decent name

thing is everything's encumbrance would need to be increased

This sounds cool! How about only increasing item weight or equivalently, lowering player max carried weight. It would be easier, mechanics and balancing wise. Plus, you could make reversed areas of low gravity very easily as well.
Entropy is not what it used to be.

Zireael

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13006 on: August 15, 2014, 06:58:22 am »

So, in short, I don't think you can conceivably make something like a shopping cart from only the shelter materials.

We could, if somebody modded in a wooden box or a wooden basket...

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13007 on: August 15, 2014, 07:24:06 am »

Hehe, whomever put Thriller in there needs to get a big shiny internets and a cookie. It's pretty hilarious.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13008 on: August 15, 2014, 11:58:22 am »

So in my ever evolving efforts to STAHP HAVING 8 BILLION TORSO ENCUMBRANCE, SERIOUSLY WTF... I think I have come to a solution that lets me retain not-die-ability with storage space while fitting the parameters.

Incidentally, what all do you need to build a shopping cart from scratch? Tools/Skills/Materials wise? I know you need four casters and a wire basket, do you also need a frame? Is there some way to build a Bionic Prepper to construct one immediately, using the stuffs in the starting shelter?

I don't think you can, without modding. Mostly because you can't craft casters, but if that's modded in you'd have to use a box rather than a wire basket since the shelter does not give wires which require forging tools to make. You could use a box instead, but then you'd have to make a full steel frame which also needs a crucible as a tool.
Do you really need the casters, though? Can't you just drag a basket around?
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
  • the first mankind all over the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #13009 on: August 15, 2014, 01:01:07 pm »

Yes, but casters don't let you attach a V12 engine to the shopping cart and drive around like that.
I don't use Bay12 much anymore. PM me if you need to get in touch with me and I'll send you my Discord handle.

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13010 on: August 15, 2014, 02:06:17 pm »

You can get the wires from fences the right fences, so you could.
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

qazcake

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13011 on: August 15, 2014, 02:10:08 pm »

I used to play the older version of this. It was fun but i never really found it fun to play in long bursts.

Gentlefish

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: balloon-like qualities]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13012 on: August 15, 2014, 02:11:04 pm »

I just play half-speed classic zombies and start in-town. I run around and loot the crap out of everything and look for a grocery store to get my cart. Hectic, scary, and so much fun.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #13013 on: August 15, 2014, 02:40:28 pm »

Hehe, whomever put Thriller in there needs to get a big shiny internets and a cookie. It's pretty hilarious.
:)) I'm glad someone finally found one.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Silfurdreki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13014 on: August 15, 2014, 04:21:11 pm »

I guess it's possible, but one filled with tinned food or whatever might be difficult to drag around for a low-strength dude.
Entropy is not what it used to be.

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13015 on: August 15, 2014, 09:54:04 pm »

Ok so I'm about ready to take two solar powered vehicles and turn them into one better one, but have never made a vehicle before. The most I've done is replace tires.

I'm planning on making it 5 spaces wide, idk how many across, with 3 trunks, armor on the front, 2 electrical engines, as many solar cells as I can fit, 2 storage batteries (with the other 1-2 for other uses such as electricity for a base) 4 wheels, and 2 doors. If I wing it and keep it simple should I be ok?

Also, some more detailed questions:

1) What are some limits for putting things on the same tiles?

2) Is there a ratio of width to length I should keep to?

3) How does armor work?

4) How does enclosing your car work? I heard that a board OR roof OR door means that it's protected by the elements, but don't you need a board and a roof?

5) How do doors work, can they be alone on a tile, or should they have a floor/roof and can I armor plate them?

6) Any tips?
« Last Edit: August 15, 2014, 10:30:39 pm by Micro102 »

Gentlefish

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: balloon-like qualities]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13016 on: August 15, 2014, 09:54:23 pm »

Woo, off-by-one glitch in the latest experimental.

In the tratis screen, under the good traits, you can go one up past accomplished sleeper. Selecting this "option" crashes the game.

Also it scrolls down to the bottom of the list from addiction resistant instead of on accomplished sleeper.

Yay helping!

E: Also happens on the negative trait side. Player beware!

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13017 on: August 15, 2014, 09:55:11 pm »

Yeah I noticed that too, it also happens on the bad traits.

Ifuckinghatewolves.
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
  • Exploding me won't bring back your honey.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13018 on: August 15, 2014, 10:33:32 pm »

1) What are some limits for putting things on the same tiles?

2) Is there a ratio of width to length I should keep to?

3) How does armor work?

4) How does enclosing your car work? I heard that a board OR roof OR door means that it's protected by the elements, but don't you need a board and a roof?

5) How do doors work, can they be alone on a tile, or should they have a floor/roof and can I armor plate them?

6) Any tips?

You can see storage capacity by moving the cursor over a container tile while examining the vehicle. The storage capacities are: Stow rack (or whatever. the board that has storage, I've never used one) < box < floor trunk < trunk (650 volume).

1) Generally only one "big" item like engine, gas tank, water tank, etc. fits per tile. The vehicle interface will let you browse what fits on a tile even if you don't have the part available, so you can look over existing vehicles to get a feel for it.

2) I have no idea. Most of mine have been some variant of armored campers.

3) If you put armor plating on a tile, it soaks damage before anything else on that tile gets hurt (mostly). I think solar panels are the exception because they have to be mounted on the "outside," but reinforced solar panels can be crafted.

4) Tiles that are those you mentioned, or that have a roof *and are surrounded by tiles that are inside* count as inside. This is a fancy way of saying you need to make it look like a car... put boards/windshields/doors/quarterpanels on the outside and roofs over tiles in the middle.

5) Place frame (every tile must have a frame AFAIR), place door. Done.

6) You should be fine as long as you don't try anything blatantly insane (all 4 wheels in the same corner!). More than 1 engine is usually excessive unless you're making a base on wheels.

The only non-negotiable part for an operational vehicle is controls and a seat on the same tile.

BY FAR the most painless way of assembling a vehicle is:

Grab a spare shopping cart and enough stuff/the recipe for a vehicle welding rig. When you're disassembling the original vehicles, assemble a temporary immobile solar panel farm with 2-3 panels and the supporting frames somewhere outdoors. Attach one battery of any kind (car, motorbike, storage, whatever) to it. Make sure it's in your reality bubble so it charges the battery while you cut the other cars apart. When you're ready to either start from scratch or rebuild on an existing frame, cut the basket off the shopping cart and attach the welding rig to it, along with the solar-charged battery from your temporary setup. You'll spend literally thousands of battery charges assembling and repairing a vehicle, and you don't want to eat that cost in the tiny individual batteries that power your flashlight and vibrator PDA.
And then, they will be weaponized. Like everything in this game, from kittens to babies, everything is a potential device of murder.
So if baseless speculation is all we have, we might as well treat it like fact.

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
  • Tail of a stinging scorpion scourge
    • View Profile
« Reply #13019 on: August 15, 2014, 10:36:35 pm »

2 electrical engines,

Something to note, putting in more then one engine requires TWELVE mechanics skill. Since you said you have only changed tires...that's unlikely.
7/10 Has much more memorable sigs but casts them to the realm of sigtexts.

Indeed, I do this.
Pages: 1 ... 866 867 [868] 869 870 ... 1086