Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 858 859 [860] 861 862 ... 1086

Author Topic: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A roaming horde appears on the horizon!  (Read 1861644 times)

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
  • the first mankind all over the world
    • View Profile
Re: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A roaming horde appears on the horizon!
« Reply #12885 on: August 09, 2014, 09:42:34 pm »

I think that the factions thing is kinda silly.

I'd prefer to just sit alone, contemplating life in a heavily armored shelter.
I don't use Bay12 much anymore. PM me if you need to get in touch with me and I'll send you my Discord handle.

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
  • Tail of a stinging scorpion scourge
    • View Profile
« Reply #12886 on: August 09, 2014, 10:00:58 pm »

I think that the factions thing is kinda silly.

But once NPC stuffs is actually working the way the devs are taking it, you can have SLAVES in your heavily armored shelter. And they will grow foods and stuffs. Presumably.
Just don't TELL them they're slaves. Use the term "survivor", they react better to that.
7/10 Has much more memorable sigs but casts them to the realm of sigtexts.

Indeed, I do this.

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12887 on: August 09, 2014, 10:04:49 pm »

Anyway, Cata makes primitive survival near impossible. Not even a sling and spear can save you from the horror of wolves.
I don't use Bay12 much anymore. PM me if you need to get in touch with me and I'll send you my Discord handle.

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
  • Exploding me won't bring back your honey.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12888 on: August 09, 2014, 10:31:11 pm »

You can practically armor yourself head-to-toe in the first game day...

I mean... just the materials in a shelter and the surrounding field can get you to tailoring 3 or 4 and reinforced SOMEthing covering everything but your eyes without even having to glance at a town. Apart from bears or the Majestic Moose (or zed-quivalents), wildlife shouldn't be too big of a pain provided you don't charge into a swamp or BEES go looking for trouble.
And then, they will be weaponized. Like everything in this game, from kittens to babies, everything is a potential device of murder.
So if baseless speculation is all we have, we might as well treat it like fact.

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12889 on: August 09, 2014, 10:46:25 pm »

Excluding eyes? You can get glass and bottles from foraging...
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12890 on: August 09, 2014, 10:51:53 pm »

... So you can! I always think that since those take a soldering iron to fix, they take one to make. Eh.

In other news, my character is so bad at tailoring that he apparently destroyed an MBR vest while trying to pull kevlar plates out of the pockets. At tailoring 4. *sigh* At least I had another 5 MBR vests... and one even fits!
And then, they will be weaponized. Like everything in this game, from kittens to babies, everything is a potential device of murder.

thegoatgod_pan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12891 on: August 10, 2014, 01:38:17 am »

... So you can! I always think that since those take a soldering iron to fix, they take one to make. Eh.

In other news, my character is so bad at tailoring that he apparently destroyed an MBR vest while trying to pull kevlar plates out of the pockets. At tailoring 4. *sigh* At least I had another 5 MBR vests... and one even fits!

I've been ignoring MBR vests since no one shoots at me and I worry the encumberment is more deadly against zombies: are they worth it?

I've been away from this game for maybe eight month but man has it deepened. My bionic assassin has been drugging himself with adderol and installalimg a bunch of bionics. I also found an invisibility cloak (no power source though) and a functional armored truck to go with my tent and bedroll nomadism. Somehow the tent is the most exciting new feature (at least for me)

I also love the mutation trees (and still basically turn myself into the swamp thing with the debug menu, because why not: an intelligent plant will probably make it through an apocalypse, eagles may soar but plants don't get sucked into jet engines. 

Also found a firebrand outside the shelter on an npc fighting a zombie bear. Most epic start ever.
More ridiculous than reindeer?  Where you think you supercool and is you things the girls where I honestly like I is then why are humans on their as my people or what would you?

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12892 on: August 10, 2014, 01:54:29 am »

Tents have been in for atleast 6 months, I remember using one not long after DDA started.
As for the vests, those are for labs and hostile NPCs.
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12893 on: August 10, 2014, 02:03:58 am »

I've been ignoring MBR vests since no one shoots at me and I worry the encumberment is more deadly against zombies: are they worth it?

I've been away from this game for maybe eight month but man has it deepened. My bionic assassin has been drugging himself with adderol and installalimg a bunch of bionics. I also found an invisibility cloak (no power source though) and a functional armored truck to go with my tent and bedroll nomadism. Somehow the tent is the most exciting new feature (at least for me)

Nah, don't use MBR's vs regular zeds in the early game when you have low skills. They do block a ton of cutting (the damage bullets do), and it's effective against lots of things, but I was gearing up to raid a lab for sciencey stuff and a military outpost for splodey-shootey stuff. Incidentally, my cloud cover vanished before I could finish off the last outpost turret and I took several rounds in the chest that would certainly have killed me without the vest, so they're great for ranged characters and situational for melee once you can fight past the penalties.

I agree about the tent-stuff, though. I appropriated a box van and loaded it up with a homemade shelter kit, fur rollmat, sleeping bag, and mess kit. The new PARTY WAGON has plenty of space for loot to bring back to my in-progress fortified mansion base. My favorite "new-to-me" feature is that batteries don't lose charge when unhooked from a vehicle. I have all the vehicle crafting stations hooked up to powered workbenches at my base, and since a storage battery is something like 100,000 battery power, I'm basically set for life.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12894 on: August 10, 2014, 11:55:40 am »

Before I knew it, a horde from two towns away was upon my base, a cleared school. It was two hordes, actually, though one was only 7 holdouts from a previous horde I defeated. The big one was 750+ strong. It took all day, but I got them down to a about a dozen. They began to run. I chased both hordes down, and finally destroyed them completely. Sifting through the loot the zombies left I found prize among prizes: a vibrator. ~Worth it!

By the way, are hordes controlled by some intelligent force? They clearly break and flee after you kill enough of them, to the point that they change their destination if you follow the horde.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
  • Tail of a stinging scorpion scourge
    • View Profile
« Reply #12895 on: August 10, 2014, 02:07:28 pm »

It took all day, but I got them down to a about a dozen. They began to run. I chased both hordes down, and finally destroyed them completely. Sifting through the loot the zombies left I found prize among prizes: a vibrator. ~Worth it!

This is going in my sig...
7/10 Has much more memorable sigs but casts them to the realm of sigtexts.

Indeed, I do this.

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12896 on: August 10, 2014, 04:27:42 pm »

Don't know if this is known yet, but when using mechanical winches at garages, your guy doesn't stop for anything. Zombies gnawing on your bones? Nope... Have to get that door open at all costs.

Queries to stop if zombies get close or hit you please.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12897 on: August 10, 2014, 04:36:32 pm »

I spawned an archer with some basic skill levels.  Went into town.  First building is an arcade.  I found the key to my survival:
I have done what must be done.

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12898 on: August 10, 2014, 05:28:00 pm »

I spawned an archer with some basic skill levels.  Went into town.  First building is an arcade.  I found the key to my survival:
I have done what must be done.

:O

ARCADES

WHERE? NEW EXPERIMENTAL?

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12899 on: August 10, 2014, 05:33:46 pm »

Yup, downloaded like an hour ago.
Pages: 1 ... 858 859 [860] 861 862 ... 1086