Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 824 825 [826] 827 828 ... 1086

Author Topic: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A roaming horde appears on the horizon!  (Read 1860652 times)

Duuvian

• Bay Watcher
  • Internet ≠ Real Life
    • View Profile
Re: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A roaming horde appears on the horizon!
« Reply #12375 on: July 04, 2014, 05:14:48 pm »

Martial arts attacks against them shock you. It might be the same for melee weapons, especially metal ones.
FINISHED original composition:
https://app.box.com/s/jq526ppvri67astrc23bwvgrkxaicedj

Sort of finished and awaiting remix due to loss of most recent song file before addition of drums:
https://www.box.com/s/s3oba05kh8mfi3sorjm0 <-zguit

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12376 on: July 04, 2014, 06:54:30 pm »

I hadn't even attacked it the log only showed it attacking me.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

gigaraptor487

• Bay Watcher
  • Escaped Lunatic now civilised
    • View Profile
« Reply #12377 on: July 05, 2014, 09:44:36 am »

How do you unload onto the floor in later versions? It used to be a hobby in earlier versions to go to liqour shops, unload the bottles and make hundreds of molotovs.
Hehe, you thought there would be an interesting sig here

I now run a program which brings old multiplayer games back to life : click

IcyTea31

• Bay Watcher
  • Studying functions and fiction
    • View Profile
« Reply #12378 on: July 05, 2014, 09:49:28 am »

How do you unload onto the floor in later versions? It used to be a hobby in earlier versions to go to liqour shops, unload the bottles and make hundreds of molotovs.
In 0.A at least (unsure of devbuilds), you select the container from your inventory and press Shift+U[nload], then press Esc instead of selecting another container, which will prompt you to unload onto the floor.
There is a world yet only seen by physicists and magicians.

gigaraptor487

• Bay Watcher
  • Escaped Lunatic now civilised
    • View Profile
« Reply #12379 on: July 05, 2014, 09:52:18 am »

thanks
Hehe, you thought there would be an interesting sig here

I now run a program which brings old multiplayer games back to life : click

Grendus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12380 on: July 05, 2014, 10:22:13 am »

I actually think I had something similar happen against a shocker in 1718.  It seemed like the moment I got into melee range I saw a few seconds of hit animation and died.   Looking at the log it seemed like every attack it made against me, hit or miss shocked me (I guess stunning me?) and it managed to kill me from full health.

I figured it was a fluke, but it sounds really similar to what happened to Kaitol.

What likely happened is that it shocked you, which causes some paralysis, and then killed you before it wore off. Shocker zombies are far and away the most dangerous zombies in the game currently, IMO Tanks are a close second.
A quick guide to surviving your first few days in CataclysmDDA:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=121194.msg4796325;topicseen#msg4796325

etgfrog

• Bay Watcher
  • delete & NULL;
    • View Profile
« Reply #12381 on: July 05, 2014, 10:28:59 pm »

So I've found the benefit of being able to get into the safes in a bank, power armor and very rare CBMs  :)
"How dare you get angry after being scammed."

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12382 on: July 05, 2014, 10:40:41 pm »

For throwing weapons, throw them.
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #12383 on: July 05, 2014, 11:02:19 pm »

I actually think I had something similar happen against a shocker in 1718.  It seemed like the moment I got into melee range I saw a few seconds of hit animation and died.   Looking at the log it seemed like every attack it made against me, hit or miss shocked me (I guess stunning me?) and it managed to kill me from full health.

I figured it was a fluke, but it sounds really similar to what happened to Kaitol.

What likely happened is that it shocked you, which causes some paralysis, and then killed you before it wore off. Shocker zombies are far and away the most dangerous zombies in the game currently, IMO Tanks are a close second.
This is exactly what happens.
Paralysis. The game seems to update only after such--if you die in between, its a quick zip off the line.

I've had many experiences with that (given I'm a melee martial artist player :p) regardless of me hitting them. (As in, their ranged shocks)

Cheedows

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a dwarf, right?
    • View Profile
« Reply #12384 on: July 05, 2014, 11:31:07 pm »

A single shocker can make the difference of surviving that zombie horde or getting shocked and having your face torn off.

adwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12385 on: July 05, 2014, 11:31:30 pm »

So on my current world I'm about to have a rather massive problem with an anthill, whats the best weapon to use against ants? I've been using a knife spear since game start, and a cudgel for when I run into skeletons which has been working very well, do I need better weapons to actually fight the ants an anthill spews forth?

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12386 on: July 05, 2014, 11:37:16 pm »

So on my current world I'm about to have a rather massive problem with an anthill, whats the best weapon to use against ants? I've been using a knife spear since game start, and a cudgel for when I run into skeletons which has been working very well, do I need better weapons to actually fight the ants an anthill spews forth?
Zweihander works well, due to the massive damage and the WIDE + BRUTAL effect - it'll hit all 8 tiles around you and knock enemies back.

Sledgehammer, Halligan, Nodachi, and War Scythe are also applicable for the WIDE effect.  You can cut through hordes of enemies more easily with these, such as blobs or schools.  I usually don't bother anthills much, but if there's a lot of ants then you probably just want to go Heavy Survival Suit + Zweihander, become as smelly and loud as you can, and wade through the piles of ants like some sort of enormous lawnmower.

Keep in mind that you can utilize a WIDE attack when you counterattack, I've defeated whole hordes by wearing massive armor and then standing still, letting counters sweep through enemy ranks and end up with piles of bodies around me.

adwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12387 on: July 05, 2014, 11:45:21 pm »

Zweihander works well, due to the massive damage and the WIDE + BRUTAL effect - it'll hit all 8 tiles around you and knock enemies back.

Sledgehammer, Halligan, Nodachi, and War Scythe are also applicable for the WIDE effect.  You can cut through hordes of enemies more easily with these, such as blobs or schools.  I usually don't bother anthills much, but if there's a lot of ants then you probably just want to go Heavy Survival Suit + Zweihander, become as smelly and loud as you can, and wade through the piles of ants like some sort of enormous lawnmower.

Keep in mind that you can utilize a WIDE attack when you counterattack, I've defeated whole hordes by wearing massive armor and then standing still, letting counters sweep through enemy ranks and end up with piles of bodies around me.
I'll need to find any of those weapons first :v I'm currently just kinda slowly chipping away at the town I live near hoping I can get it cleared enough to get to the gun store before the ants manage to expand to my house.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12388 on: July 05, 2014, 11:55:34 pm »

Pawn Shops are your best bet to find exotic weaponry, really.  Or craft it yourself if you can get the books.

If the ants are a pressing issue and you're still working to find a weapon, consider fleeing.

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
  • the first mankind all over the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #12389 on: July 06, 2014, 12:01:44 am »

Reminds me; my character with the barrel in the basement was using his folding bike to find a mansion to get the antique weapon books when I crashed into a car, blowing out the front wheel.

Therefore, THREE THINGS:

One, folding bikes can be damaged.
Two, folding bikes are slightly useless for loot runs because of their combo of low storage and the fact that folding them practically quadruples your load.
Three, it is hilarious if you try to fold it while standing on it.
I don't use Bay12 much anymore. PM me if you need to get in touch with me and I'll send you my Discord handle.
Pages: 1 ... 824 825 [826] 827 828 ... 1086