Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 773 774 [775] 776 777 ... 1086

Author Topic: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A roaming horde appears on the horizon!  (Read 1862084 times)

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
Re: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A roaming horde appears on the horizon!
« Reply #11610 on: April 18, 2014, 03:03:39 pm »

Anyone have a recommendation for the most "stable" current experimental? I find being on the bleeding edge of development bad, due to many, many bugs.
Do you have specific problems you are having? From what I've seen the current experimental is usually much more stable than the stable version due to all the additional bug fixes that have been added in, with the only drawbacks tending to be sometimes certain features aren't quite balanced (such as hordes size) and rare random build failures which are usually fixed in less then a day (this happened yesterday, so if you were trying to use a version from April 17th I suggest you redownload, the problem is almost always due to someone accidentally merging something that works on 1-2 OS's but not on the others).
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

WhitiusOpus

• Bay Watcher
  • Pro-radiation Lobbyist
    • View Profile
« Reply #11611 on: April 19, 2014, 12:02:25 am »

Anyone have a recommendation for the most "stable" current experimental? I find being on the bleeding edge of development bad, due to many, many bugs.
Do you have specific problems you are having? From what I've seen the current experimental is usually much more stable than the stable version due to all the additional bug fixes that have been added in, with the only drawbacks tending to be sometimes certain features aren't quite balanced (such as hordes size) and rare random build failures which are usually fixed in less then a day (this happened yesterday, so if you were trying to use a version from April 17th I suggest you redownload, the problem is almost always due to someone accidentally merging something that works on 1-2 OS's but not on the others).
That might be the problem then, and thanks for responding. The menu would glitch when selecting options, phasing the lines in and out. I'll re download the first chance I get.
Quote from: The Froggy Ninja
Young Masches: Fetch yonder blade!
Masches grabs his "sword." Navi gasps. Her aura flushes a pinkish hue and she flies out the window.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11612 on: April 19, 2014, 12:45:49 am »

Yea sorry about that, probably my fault ya got ignored for a bit.

I wanted to answer ya but then I realized that the only experimental I tried since 0.A stable had frozen smoke clouds so I wasn't the best choice to suggest one :P
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Grendus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11613 on: April 19, 2014, 10:14:13 am »

So while I have whined incessantly registered my concerns about the size of the hordes and when they first appear, they do make for a good challenge. I've gone through dozens of metal pipes, about 50 broken arrows or so, and 400 zombies. And it's only day 5. Left 4 Dead has nothing on this.

And the horde is still huge. It's not glitched, I can see it recede after a particularly grueling battle, but then more of them come in. I need to make more arrows.

Edit: and I lost it to a corrupted save. /sigh. Gotta savescum every now and then I suppose.

Edit2: It seems like with the hordes, the shocker zombies are the most dangerous. Everything else has a solid counter - you can outrun most of the zombies, and kill the fast ones in one or two hits - but the shockers pin you while the horde eats you alive, and even if you don't get hit you wind up with a lot of pain that's going to slow you down. If I hadn't been carrying some meth I'd be dead.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2014, 10:08:04 pm by Grendus »
A quick guide to surviving your first few days in CataclysmDDA:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=121194.msg4796325;topicseen#msg4796325

beorn080

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11614 on: April 20, 2014, 04:17:11 am »

Grendus, there is a bionic that stops shockers, but yeah they could use a better counter. One key, make SURE you aren't using a metal weapon or your bare hands. If it has metal in it, it will conduct the shock back to you. So even a fire axe will conduct. At worst, grab a two by four or a rock and beat the thing, then drop it.
Ustxu Iceraped the Frigid Crystal of Slaughter was a glacier titan. It was the only one of its kind. A gigantic feathered carp composed of crystal glass. It has five mouths full of treacherous teeth, enormous clear wings, and ferocious blue eyes. Beware its icy breath! Ustxu was associated with oceans, glaciers, boats, and murder.

Humdilla

• Bay Watcher
  • Go Action Bastard Anti-Enema Beam!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11615 on: April 20, 2014, 09:40:21 am »

Grendus, there is a bionic that stops shockers, but yeah they could use a better counter. One key, make SURE you aren't using a metal weapon or your bare hands. If it has metal in it, it will conduct the shock back to you. So even a fire axe will conduct. At worst, grab a two by four or a rock and beat the thing, then drop it.
Is it possible to stop the shock by wearing rubber gloves?  ???

n9103

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Steam
« Reply #11616 on: April 20, 2014, 11:29:54 am »

Is it possible to stop the shock by wearing rubber gloves?  ???

Rubber or leather, IIRC.

Grendus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11617 on: April 20, 2014, 01:46:07 pm »

It's the ranged shock that's most dangerous IMO. You'll be in the middle of an intense battle and all of a sudden you'll be paralyzed for 5 rounds. Instant death. But yea, I need to get some leather gloves then.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=121194.msg4796325;topicseen#msg4796325

Rez

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11618 on: April 20, 2014, 02:01:26 pm »

I experienced a CTD while running the SDL version in full-screen.  I haven't reproduced it.  I can't say what seems to have caused it, I was just walking along a road when it happened.  Best bug report ever. /sarc

Maybe it's already been addressed, but it was kind of random, since C:DDA always seems to throw a bunch of (internal) error messages when weird things happen.

OT: Seriously, part of web 2.0 needs to be a sarcasm font type.

Maybe comic sans.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2014, 02:14:48 pm by Rez »

Grendus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11619 on: April 20, 2014, 04:49:05 pm »

Day 6, kill count 746. I have finally driven the horde away from my starter town. I am the last man standing. I AM MANKIND VICTORIOUS!

I'm so alone...

Cheedows

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a dwarf, right?
    • View Profile
« Reply #11620 on: April 20, 2014, 05:11:28 pm »

We need NPCs to be less lonely. I loved my dog I fed treats to, for the exact 5 minutes I had him live. He proceeded to charge headfirst at a brute while I was yelling to get back.

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
  • the first mankind all over the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #11621 on: April 20, 2014, 05:14:13 pm »

That, my friends, is why we have pink tablets.
I don't use Bay12 much anymore. PM me if you need to get in touch with me and I'll send you my Discord handle.

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11622 on: April 20, 2014, 05:27:27 pm »

We need NPCs to be less lonely. I loved my dog I fed treats to, for the exact 5 minutes I had him live. He proceeded to charge headfirst at a brute while I was yelling to get back.

You can yell at dogs?  I had a dog for about an hour, until it chased a cat into the woods.  I guess I could have gone after it, but what would I have done when the next small animal distracted it?  Seems like a hassle.

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
  • Tail of a stinging scorpion scourge
    • View Profile
« Reply #11623 on: April 20, 2014, 05:48:05 pm »

WE CAN HAVE PET DOGS?!?!?!?!?!?
7/10 Has much more memorable sigs but casts them to the realm of sigtexts.

Indeed, I do this.

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11624 on: April 20, 2014, 05:54:39 pm »

WE CAN HAVE PET DOGS?!?!?!?!?!?
[/quote]

Well, no, that's kind of the point. 

But if you feed one dog food (activate it and give to adjacent dog) it will follow you for a few minutes before it decides to dogicide against a squirrel or some shit.
Pages: 1 ... 773 774 [775] 776 777 ... 1086