Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 676 677 [678] 679 680 ... 1086

Author Topic: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A roaming horde appears on the horizon!  (Read 1860714 times)

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
Re: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - Version 0.9 "Ma" released!
« Reply #10155 on: February 18, 2014, 07:18:30 pm »

You don't need any skill in driving to drive, you'll just turn the wheel randomly now and then.  I think you would actually do the same thing on a bike.

As for actually finding a bike they seem really rare, I'd say parking lots are more likely places, but by the time you find one you probably could have built up enough skill to build your own or properly drive some other vehicle.

--------
Played with random npcs on.  They seem much much less crashy then they used to be.  Still have some bugs though, like them reverting to "put down your weapon!" Mode after trading with them, so you have to pass a personality check for them to not revert to fleeing/hostile forever mode, since you can't put away a weapon that's already put away.  Most places not having a goodbye option in the dialog (Have to ask them what they are doing to get a bye option).

Then there's also the behavioral stuff, like when I was walking by my base past an open window my companion saw my weapons stockpile, at which point he went ballistic, smashing through my base's window and looting everything in the room not nailed down, and then having the gall to charge me for my own stuff.  But those are probably harder issues to fix.

(In the end it only cost me 2 bullets to get all my stuff back, and his stuff as a bonus, but now my character is sad.)
« Last Edit: February 18, 2014, 07:22:18 pm by Greiger »
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
  • the first mankind all over the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #10156 on: February 18, 2014, 07:26:16 pm »

Really? Because my high school student could barely get his brand new Beetle out of the parking lot.

Then it crashed into a sewer plant. Thank goodness I had a dust mask on me. However, the crash apparently injured my pal Carson enough that a measly dog finished him off.

I wandered around after that, trying to find other people in a new town, when I encountered an out-of-the-way mansion in the woods. A zombie gravely injured my head and torso, then he dropped two medkits, both of which I used on my torso, unaware that my head was injured. I then rampaged through the house, trying to find another first aid kit. I didn't, so I figured I'd find a town and murder as many zombies as possible/find a pharmacy before I died.

Then I got better!

Later, I discovered a lone house, a while away from a nearby town. I entered each room cautiously, and found it empty. Thank goodness, a decent base of operations after Carson died! Finally, I settled down. I had to break in through a window, so I then blocked it off with a bookcase. I would have gone in the door, but my crowbar was being a jerk.

More to follow.
I don't use Bay12 much anymore. PM me if you need to get in touch with me and I'll send you my Discord handle.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10157 on: February 18, 2014, 07:44:59 pm »

Maybe I'm just lucky then.  I also rarely go flat out, only in open terrain or roads on known safe routes.  In cities I never go above 30, even with high skill. 

But I don't think I've ever started with a point in driving, and don't recall ever reading any books either.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

miasmatastic

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #10158 on: February 18, 2014, 09:05:11 pm »

Anybody else ever randomly get covered in ectoplasm? Never seems to happen for a reason.

wer6

• Bay Watcher
  • SCOUT DOESNT WANNA GIVE A KISS
    • View Profile
    • Pirate baaaayyyy!~
« Reply #10159 on: February 18, 2014, 09:17:57 pm »

3 things
YOu are teleporting, Even with the cheaty menu, YOu dirty cheater, or your legitly teleporting, which is GOOD!

You are near a very deadly deadly portal, which causes that!

Or the gods hate you, usualy this, but sometimes always above.
Just before leaving, Psysquid quickly summons a Burrito in his mouth.

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10160 on: February 18, 2014, 09:31:12 pm »

Maybe I'm just lucky then.  I also rarely go flat out, only in open terrain or roads on known safe routes.  In cities I never go above 30, even with high skill. 

But I don't think I've ever started with a point in driving, and don't recall ever reading any books either.

Maybe you always start as a biker or something.

This game is awesome, because you can plausibly play with a representation of yourself. My first dude was a nearsighted student with only a few traits, like night vision (I can see surprisingly well in the dark) and Tough ('cause I'm a noob).

Alternatively, you can go all out and create the most awesome dude to ever live.
I don't use Bay12 much anymore. PM me if you need to get in touch with me and I'll send you my Discord handle.

Culise

• Bay Watcher
  • General Nuisance
    • View Profile
« Reply #10161 on: February 18, 2014, 10:00:38 pm »

Maybe you always start as a biker or something.

This game is awesome, because you can plausibly play with a representation of yourself. My first dude was a nearsighted student with only a few traits, like night vision (I can see surprisingly well in the dark) and Tough ('cause I'm a noob).

Alternatively, you can go all out and create the most awesome dude to ever live.
Or silliest - I tacked near-sighted, far-sighted, and clumsy (together with a few other traits I can't recall) on the Otaku starting profession early on, and named the template "Dojikko" just for a lark. 

Just out of idle curiosity, though, why does the Otaku profession cost 4 points?  It gives you no special skills and the only seemingly-useful equipment that it provides (sewing kit, storage, food) is trivially found in any house, but it somehow qualifies as the third-most expensive profession in the game, higher even than the Professional Thief that starts with a lockpick or the survivalist's vast range of skills.  Is it just an inside joke? 

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10162 on: February 18, 2014, 10:32:43 pm »

Fuzzy cat ears probably have a microcline-style bug, where they're intended to add full 3D and hyper-realism but don't because of dang bugs.

LOL

Found out I can build a car from scratch. Looks like I'll just scavenge bits from the wrecks outside my house. There's also an RV in town, booyah.

Once found a pot farm in someone's basement, haha. Left it all there though, I'm not going farther than a quick cigarette for a stimulant. Nyquil is still pretty handy though, got me through my first night.

Cheedows

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a dwarf, right?
    • View Profile
« Reply #10163 on: February 19, 2014, 12:12:10 am »

Unless you have an addictive personality, I would take some stims in case you need that speed boost to outrun a zombearbie, and it should be fairly light and not take up any room.

wer6

• Bay Watcher
  • SCOUT DOESNT WANNA GIVE A KISS
    • View Profile
    • Pirate baaaayyyy!~
« Reply #10164 on: February 19, 2014, 07:36:24 am »

I cant sleep for the love of me, so i use ambien, adderal is fun, i use any pain killer((usually for  those damn random zambie bears))
Just before leaving, Psysquid quickly summons a Burrito in his mouth.

Tomcost

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10165 on: February 19, 2014, 08:01:48 am »

I decided to make a double spiked pit trench outside my shelter so that I could safely build there my solar farm. I got attacked by 6 zombears in the process. They spawn more often than zombie dogs. It is ridiculous.

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #10166 on: February 19, 2014, 09:13:43 am »

I cant sleep for the love of me, so i use ambien, adderal is fun, i use any pain killer((usually for  those damn random zambie bears))
Zumbie Bears are weak against shotgun.

Also my favorite handgun is officially the M1911.  Don't care what else there is, one-shotting bears is a thing I enjoy from my seldom used pistol.

---
So my last death:  Suicide after frustration over the neverending city I seemed to have spawned in.  It was just city after city, road map  after road map.
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10167 on: February 19, 2014, 12:25:33 pm »

I do not regret setting my game to "classic zombies", with all this stuff about zombie animals.

Dang, I miss Carson. He gave me his lighter and traded me a first aid kit for my crowbar. Now the food I found in the house is running out, and I'm not a very happy camper. I raided a farmhouse, but it only had a pear and an apricot.

I led a raid on the town after that, wanting to check out a radio station. There was nothing of interest in there other than eight biscuits, but I did find a liquor store with shelves full of apple juice. I tried to take what I could, but couldn't take enough.

Then I found a shopping cart! I dumped all the apple juice and stuff in there and took off. Killed off a bunch of zed too. Made it home safely with a stockpile of food, drink, and a few books to keep me entertained.

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #10168 on: February 19, 2014, 12:31:07 pm »

Zombears were recently changed to take away the wild animal tag from them. I don't know if this impacts anything about their spawns, though.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #10169 on: February 19, 2014, 12:37:16 pm »

.A Feature freeze is officially active now. There's only a few release blockers left, so with any luck we could be looking at a weekend release for .A.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.
Pages: 1 ... 676 677 [678] 679 680 ... 1086