Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 648 649 [650] 651 652 ... 1086

Author Topic: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A roaming horde appears on the horizon!  (Read 1860792 times)

Akhier the Dragon hearted

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a Dragon, Roar
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
Re: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - Version 0.9 "Ma" released!
« Reply #9735 on: January 19, 2014, 09:41:09 am »

Yeah, you know how scrdest said:
General rule is, if in the same situation IRL you could do something, assume you can in Cata. And then add some things you couldn't do on top.

Well the "some things you couldn't do" part is partly made of action movie physics.
Join us. The crazy is at a perfect temperature today.
So it seems I accidentally put my canteen in my wheelbarrow and didn't notice... and then I got really thirsty... so right before going to sleep I go to take a swig from my canteen and... end up snorting a line of low-grade meth.

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #9736 on: January 19, 2014, 10:09:39 am »

Actually what happened was the game simulating the roof collapsing. Because a fire has infinite height, you see. Actually it doesn't; if you light a fire underground, the things on the ground level won't be affected in the slightest, even if the cellar collapses, the building stands.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #9737 on: January 19, 2014, 10:16:47 am »

Actually what happened was the game simulating the roof collapsing. Because a fire has infinite height, you see. Actually it doesn't; if you light a fire underground, the things on the ground level won't be affected in the slightest, even if the cellar collapses, the building stands.
Well, that is just silly. I wonder when will Cataclysm move into proper 3D, like Dwarf Fortress? :P

In other news, interesting side effect. After the next character I played died due to stepping on a landmine (but not before encountering a zombified school and looting someone's home), I started another character. Who appeared inside the rapidly deconstructing shelter building, and was able to leap out of a window mere moments before it was entirely engulfed in flames. Apparently fires don't progress off-site.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #9738 on: January 19, 2014, 10:28:44 am »

Well, that is just silly. I wonder when will Cataclysm move into proper 3D, like Dwarf Fortress? :P

In other news, interesting side effect. After the next character I played died due to stepping on a landmine (but not before encountering a zombified school and looting someone's home), I started another character. Who appeared inside the rapidly deconstructing shelter building, and was able to leap out of a window mere moments before it was entirely engulfed in flames. Apparently fires don't progress off-site.

Nope, it works kinda like Minecraft in that respect. It simulates x chunks around you and anything further is frozen in time.

Also, heh, I remember my first playthrough when, as Groom, I stepped on a landmine, which stripped me clean of my clothes but left me unscathed somehow.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

teoleo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9739 on: January 19, 2014, 10:53:57 am »

i wait a new stable version

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9740 on: January 19, 2014, 11:28:12 am »

So, next question. Is it just me, or do the local cars have no concept of "gearbox"? Specifically, "reverse gear"? Because the only working, intact vehicle I found so far was a little VW Beetle, and I managed to drive it about three feet forward before bumping into a wall (and a pair of zombies... getaway didn't work, but it thinned the horde a little!).

Well, no, I did find another working vehicle with all parts intact. But it was out of gas.

So far, this seems like a very fun game. Though personally, I think it needs less Nethack. Firearms, computers, good. Teleporters, fusion guns, less so. Is there a mod or option somewhere that limits the content to somewhat more real tech? Bionics are fine, but some of these are a bit too exotic.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #9741 on: January 19, 2014, 11:38:49 am »

So, next question. Is it just me, or do the local cars have no concept of "gearbox"? Specifically, "reverse gear"? Because the only working, intact vehicle I found so far was a little VW Beetle, and I managed to drive it about three feet forward before bumping into a wall (and a pair of zombies... getaway didn't work, but it thinned the horde a little!).

Well, no, I did find another working vehicle with all parts intact. But it was out of gas.

So far, this seems like a very fun game. Though personally, I think it needs less Nethack. Firearms, computers, good. Teleporters, fusion guns, less so. Is there a mod or option somewhere that limits the content to somewhat more real tech? Bionics are fine, but some of these are a bit too exotic.

The cars do have reverse. Just press S instead of W until you get to negative speed. The average vehicle should be able to move backwards at 10 mph. Your problem is likely that you've ran into the wall at a slight angle.

EDIT: OK, WTF game. I just downloaded a new experimental today. I've been doing pretty well, when suddenly as I was exiting a car I got instakilled by, exact quote, 'Something'.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2014, 12:17:20 pm by scrdest »

The Darkling Wolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Arf!
    • View Profile
    • Cataclysm - Dark Days Ahead
« Reply #9742 on: January 19, 2014, 01:18:12 pm »

The old system was the floors just neatly burning away leaving all of the walls and furniture inside perfectly intact.
My cabbages!
[Thunderfury, Blessed Blade of the Windseeker]

I am fat, eating is my great joy.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9743 on: January 19, 2014, 03:01:38 pm »

New character, new experiments!

So this one actually started in a shelter a ways away from the city, and after stirring up a ruckus and evading or killing most zombies, he was on the way back when he encountered a very persistent boomer. Said boomer caused him to deviate from the path, and encounter a crashed helicopter with three tubes of explosive happiness.

So, it's called a boomer, right?
Spoiler: Boom, then! (click to show/hide)

Zombies 0, Rocket Launcher 1. Let's see if I can clear out that town enough to really rifle through it.

Weapon test 2:

Spoiler: Multiple targets! (click to show/hide)

Zombies 0, Rocket Launcher... 8, if you count the dogs. I like these things. ^_^
« Last Edit: January 19, 2014, 03:06:47 pm by Sean Mirrsen »

wer6

• Bay Watcher
  • SCOUT DOESNT WANNA GIVE A KISS
    • View Profile
    • Pirate baaaayyyy!~
« Reply #9744 on: January 19, 2014, 03:22:23 pm »

Just to let you know, Whiskey, when it is destroyed, explodes, no matter how little or large amount, Just like Molotov's, my mistake was setting the fire next to my house, 2 tiles away and then it was promptly set my shelter on fire, and on the other side of said wall was my entire ammunition supply, it exploded, and the both the mininukes, granades((yes granades)) and Molotov's exploded, I was dead instantly once the fire spread to the wall(I was trying to extinguish it with my small fire extiusher I somehow had))
Just before leaving, Psysquid quickly summons a Burrito in his mouth.

GrizzlyAdamz

• Bay Watcher
  • Herp de derp
    • View Profile
    • Check this shit out
« Reply #9745 on: January 19, 2014, 05:37:53 pm »

You might like classic mode, in the options. Alternatively, you can open up the jsons and go delete-happy. :D
I think.
Badges of honor
GENERATION 11: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
Check this shit out- (it changes)
Profile->Modify Profile->Look and Layout->Current Theme: Default [Change]->Darkling (it's good for your eyes and looks better)

bertix

• Bay Watcher
  • Sanity is over-rated.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9746 on: January 19, 2014, 05:43:53 pm »

The cars do have reverse. Just press S instead of W until you get to negative speed. The average vehicle should be able to move backwards at 10 mph. Your problem is likely that you've ran into the wall at a slight angle.

EDIT: OK, WTF game. I just downloaded a new experimental today. I've been doing pretty well, when suddenly as I was exiting a car I got instakilled by, exact quote, 'Something'.

I ran into the same *thing*,Insta-killed (game lagged for a moment), after consulting logs my character apparently simply didn't move while a zombie clobbered her a few hundred times. Which is odd since I had the quick trait, does anyone have explanation for the infini-speed zombies ?
« Last Edit: January 19, 2014, 05:52:04 pm by bertix »
Set phasers to tsun.

Akhier the Dragon hearted

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a Dragon, Roar
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #9747 on: January 19, 2014, 08:23:44 pm »

I actually never had a problem with all that stuff because there is an actual story to why the game has those things. In fact you can find out about a lot of those things by hacking into certain computers. At the least the teleporter is an important part of why everything went to pot. found it.

Edit: Okay it looks like it has a lot of spoilers so maybe hold off on reading it till after you find some of it on computers if you want a more authentic experience. If you aren't liking some of the more out there stuff though I advise giving the stuff a read. http://smf.cataclysmdda.com/index.php?topic=4160.0
« Last Edit: January 19, 2014, 08:28:03 pm by Akhier the Dragon hearted »
Join us. The crazy is at a perfect temperature today.
So it seems I accidentally put my canteen in my wheelbarrow and didn't notice... and then I got really thirsty... so right before going to sleep I go to take a swig from my canteen and... end up snorting a line of low-grade meth.

GrizzlyAdamz

• Bay Watcher
  • Herp de derp
    • View Profile
    • Check this shit out
« Reply #9748 on: January 19, 2014, 08:30:38 pm »

I ran into the same *thing*,Insta-killed (game lagged for a moment), after consulting logs my character apparently simply didn't move while a zombie clobbered her a few hundred times. Which is odd since I had the quick trait, does anyone have explanation for the infini-speed zombies ?

Yep known bug. Some kind of hickup when loading the monster, gets a billion move points- happens to the player too, (very rarely). Might be fixed in the newest experimental?
Badges of honor
GENERATION 11: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
Check this shit out- (it changes)
Profile->Modify Profile->Look and Layout->Current Theme: Default [Change]->Darkling (it's good for your eyes and looks better)

Funk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9749 on: January 19, 2014, 08:43:01 pm »

I am really likeing my new base, a garage at the center of town, unlike the starting shelters i've had before no one comes round to steal by stuff.
The doors are metal and need the pulleys working to get in, some only me can work the doors, and there big so you can do any work you want to in side.

Gear wise, i managed to snag a set of motor bike leathers early on, and there brilliant, low weight, 20 armor no encumbrance and it keeps the rain out.

Edit: the game really wants me to go Hollywood on it, i found a bike that was missing an engine, one near by 5.8 liter V8 and a 29 inch wide wheel.
so there we have it one pretty woman on a muscle bike that rides round in leather fighting off zombies with her Kung-Fu.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2014, 11:05:07 pm by Funk »
Agree, plus that's about the LAST thing *I* want to see from this kind of game - author spending valuable development time on useless graphics.

Unofficial slogan of Bay 12 Games.  

Death to the false emperor a warhammer40k SG
Pages: 1 ... 648 649 [650] 651 652 ... 1086