Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 647 648 [649] 650 651 ... 1086

Author Topic: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A roaming horde appears on the horizon!  (Read 1860776 times)

Funk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - Version 0.9 "Ma" released!
« Reply #9720 on: January 19, 2014, 01:10:34 am »

Any one got any good tips on build a super anti zombie motor home?
Agree, plus that's about the LAST thing *I* want to see from this kind of game - author spending valuable development time on useless graphics.

Unofficial slogan of Bay 12 Games.  

Death to the false emperor a warhammer40k SG

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #9721 on: January 19, 2014, 05:23:28 am »

So, this game. I heard different things about this game. Mostly good. So now I've installed the latest available version and am trying to play it blind. Or, well, intending to try.

I haven't read any guides or wikis, all I have helping me is the ingame help pages, so I have a vague understanding of what the game offers and how to play it, but no details whatsoever. Playing a random character, too.

How long do you think I'll last? How many days? Hours? Minutes?
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #9722 on: January 19, 2014, 06:32:32 am »

So, this game. I heard different things about this game. Mostly good. So now I've installed the latest available version and am trying to play it blind. Or, well, intending to try.

I haven't read any guides or wikis, all I have helping me is the ingame help pages, so I have a vague understanding of what the game offers and how to play it, but no details whatsoever. Playing a random character, too.

It's more about the mindset, not knowledge. You could read the whole wiki and die within minutes because you're doing it wrong.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9723 on: January 19, 2014, 06:53:57 am »

It's more about the mindset, not knowledge. You could read the whole wiki and die within minutes because you're doing it wrong.
I actually got that from the help pages. "Best course of action is frequently to run away."

However, this game is tempting me.

Barely a click south of the shelter, near the road, is a military helicopter crash. Rifling through the debris I got some military clothing and pouches for carrying. Then on the other side of the wreckage I spot two things. One is a kevlar vest. Another is a LAW, which if I recall correctly is a single-use rocket launcher. And on the same side of the wreckage are two zombies - a regular one, and a swimmer. I have a hatchet. The temptation to test out this game's combat system is unreasonably high...

...and speaking of high, there appears to have been a postapocalyptic party outside of my shelter. Dead bodies everywhere is expected. Liquor, baseball bats, knives, expected. Then there's cocaine, cannabis... in decent quantities, mind. Playboy magazines...

So far the greatest irritation was a bullfrog. Which leaps. Many many times, constantly. I was sitting down for a read of a first aid manual I found in the basement, and the screen was constantly flooded with leaping bullfrogs. I don't want to know what the bullfrogs are doing, let me read in peace! :P

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #9724 on: January 19, 2014, 06:57:45 am »

I actually got that from the help pages. "Best course of action is frequently to run away."

However, this game is tempting me.

Barely a click south of the shelter, near the road, is a military helicopter crash. Rifling through the debris I got some military clothing and pouches for carrying. Then on the other side of the wreckage I spot two things. One is a kevlar vest. Another is a LAW, which if I recall correctly is a single-use rocket launcher. And on the same side of the wreckage are two zombies - a regular one, and a swimmer. I have a hatchet. The temptation to test out this game's combat system is unreasonably high...

...and speaking of high, there appears to have been a postapocalyptic party outside of my shelter. Dead bodies everywhere is expected. Liquor, baseball bats, knives, expected. Then there's cocaine, cannabis... in decent quantities, mind. Playboy magazines...

So far the greatest irritation was a bullfrog. Which leaps. Many many times, constantly. I was sitting down for a read of a first aid manual I found in the basement, and the screen was constantly flooded with leaping bullfrogs. I don't want to know what the bullfrogs are doing, let me read in peace! :P

Oh. Lucky start, then. You could have spawned in the middle of the city built on a swamp with a military bunker facing the closest door. Oh, just a tip because for some strange reason it's not clearly stated anywhere: you can close curtains on a window, just like you would close a door.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9725 on: January 19, 2014, 07:06:39 am »

Oh. Lucky start, then. You could have spawned in the middle of the city built on a swamp with a military bunker facing the closest door. Oh, just a tip because for some strange reason it's not clearly stated anywhere: you can close curtains on a window, just like you would close a door.
I've already kinda gathered that it's kind of a lucky start. Among other military gear is a tear gas grenade, a flare, and apparently the helicopter was carrying scientists, because I found their dead bodies being feasted on by a relatively harmless rat just south of the crash. One of them had a portal generator. Hell if I know what the heck it does, but it has 10 charges.

Also, the regular zombie followed me. The setting is: Overcast. Torrential rain. A lone survivor in a hoodie and worn jeans faces off against a zombie wielding nothing but a hatchet, amidst the dead bodies of some kind of science team, next to the wreckage of their crashed helicopter.

I'm actually considering tossing some of my assorted melee weapons (pocket knife, switchblade, punch knife) at it first to see if it does anything. Could maybe toss a bottle of whiskey at it and light it on fire if it wasn't for the rain - but then again, only thing worse than a zombie aggressively shambling towards you is a zombie aggressively shambling towards you while on fire, so I guess thank goodness for that. :P

edit: Single zombie dispatched with a critical throw of a pocket knife and three tactical whacks with a hatchet. Damage sustained: one bite to the torso. I'm sure nothing terrible will happen because of that. Upon approaching the wreckage again, a whole Olympic zombie swimming team emerges from a nearby pool. Perfect. Sure would be neat to have that LAW right now...

There's a motorcycle in a nearby parking lot. I wonder if it can be used...
« Last Edit: January 19, 2014, 07:17:24 am by Sean Mirrsen »

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #9726 on: January 19, 2014, 07:24:41 am »

I've already kinda gathered that it's kind of a lucky start. Among other military gear is a tear gas grenade, a flare, and apparently the helicopter was carrying scientists, because I found their dead bodies being feasted on by a relatively harmless rat just south of the crash. One of them had a portal generator. Hell if I know what the heck it does, but it has 10 charges.

Also, the regular zombie followed me. The setting is: Overcast. Torrential rain. A lone survivor in a hoodie and worn jeans faces off against a zombie wielding nothing but a hatchet, amidst the dead bodies of some kind of science team, next to the wreckage of their crashed helicopter.

I'm actually considering tossing some of my assorted melee weapons (pocket knife, switchblade, punch knife) at it first to see if it does anything. Could maybe toss a bottle of whiskey at it and light it on fire if it wasn't for the rain - but then again, only thing worse than a zombie aggressively shambling towards you is a zombie aggressively shambling towards you while on fire, so I guess thank goodness for that. :P

edit: Single zombie dispatched with a critical throw of a pocket knife and three tactical whacks with a hatchet. Damage sustained: one bite to the torso. I'm sure nothing terrible will happen because of that. Upon approaching the wreckage again, a whole Olympic zombie swimming team emerges from a nearby pool. Perfect. Sure would be neat to have that LAW right now...

There's a motorcycle in a nearby parking lot. I wonder if it can be used...

General rule is, if in the same situation IRL you could do something, assume you can in Cata. And then add some things you couldn't do on top.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9727 on: January 19, 2014, 07:29:09 am »

General rule is, if in the same situation IRL you could do something, assume you can in Cata. And then add some things you couldn't do on top.
Haha, that's certainly true. I'm not sure I could outrun an animated skeleton until the slower zombies disappeared from view, then quickly whack it into pieces.

Also, I didn't return to the motorcycle, but the car I found didn't have enough wheels to drive. Fun.

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #9728 on: January 19, 2014, 07:31:27 am »

Haha, that's certainly true. I'm not sure I could outrun an animated skeleton until the slower zombies disappeared from view, then quickly whack it into pieces.

Also, I didn't return to the motorcycle, but the car I found didn't have enough wheels to drive. Fun.

Yeah, most either lack wheels or engine. You could get lucky though, I once found an ARMORED FUCKING CAR with wheels and engine intact.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9729 on: January 19, 2014, 07:41:14 am »

Yeah, most either lack wheels or engine. You could get lucky though, I once found an ARMORED FUCKING CAR with wheels and engine intact.
I don't think I'd have trouble replacing the engine if I needed it. Getting it to the car in question, maybe, but not finding a replacement. The road's littered with them. There's a 3-liter V8 block just lying by the side of the road a short distance away.

If this game allows custom-building vehicles, it could be fun to tinker.

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #9730 on: January 19, 2014, 07:46:05 am »

I don't think I'd have trouble replacing the engine if I needed it. Getting it to the car in question, maybe, but not finding a replacement. The road's littered with them. There's a 3-liter V8 block just lying by the side of the road a short distance away.

If this game allows custom-building vehicles, it could be fun to tinker.

Actually wheels are much easier to fix, engines require a lot of skill. And yes, you can make custom vehicles. Some people build mobile homes, even.

Ivan Issaccs

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9731 on: January 19, 2014, 08:23:25 am »

Engines require more skill but finding matching replacement wheels is always my issue.
Generally speaking I like to find an RV with a broken engines, repair the entire vehicle and by the time Ive finished all lower skilled jobs your skilled enough to replace engines and repair damaged wheels.
I always enjoy getting those immigrants that are like "I can make soap and potash and lye and cheese and-" then I cut them off with a "Hope you like bricks!" as I turn them into a mason.

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #9732 on: January 19, 2014, 08:39:32 am »

Engines require more skill but finding matching replacement wheels is always my issue.
Generally speaking I like to find an RV with a broken engines, repair the entire vehicle and by the time Ive finished all lower skilled jobs your skilled enough to replace engines and repair damaged wheels.

Nah, you can just take off all the wheels and find another car and replace all of them.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9733 on: January 19, 2014, 09:02:08 am »

Okay, this is hilarious. Of all the ways to die...

So, can anyone tell me what they make the benches in the shelter out of? Alternatively, what they make the whiskey out of?

The death was by burning up. The burning up was the result of an attempt at starting a fire.

Some background: the earlier game, where I found the military helicopter and some neat gear, ended poorly. By which I mean it either crashed or I accidentally closed it, and autosaves weren't on. I did save after leaving the shelter though, so the starting conditions were the same.

The other conditions weren't, as the chopper wasn't there. Sadface. The zombies were still there en masse though, so after a few encounters and the only source of food - a restaurant - being overrun, I retreated through the night and the rain to the shelter. I found a different batch of scientists though, which yielded me a raincoat. Neat. So it's pitch dark (since it's raining and the clouds obscure the moon), I barely stumble across the road again, and just happen to run smack into the shelter. Tried to sleep, but the cold woke me up. This is despite having a decent amount of warm - although mostly wet - clothing. But no matter. Way to combat cold - fire! Going out into the raining night to find sticks in minimal visibility isn't an option. But there are the benches. Made of wood, presumably. Using Logictm, I assumed a bench isn't going to just catch fire with a lighter. So I poured some whiskey on it, and lit a fire.

Now, apparently I was wrong about the benches. Apparently they were made of C4. Because I only took a few steps away towards the terminal, and then the bench exploded. Rubble everywhere. Smoke everywhere. A broken support beam with nails in it nearly hits me in the head. Fire spreading. The windows are closed and curtained. The two turns required to open them again are enough for something else to explode and for the fire to catch up to me. Note - the benches were on the other side of the shelter from me. What the actual heck.

Anyway, that was fun. ^_^

Now, let's try that again...

Silfurdreki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9734 on: January 19, 2014, 09:34:51 am »

Yeah, for some reason, the people who built the buildings in cataclysm made them out of a loosely packed sawdust and gunpowder mixture. On the flip side, they also burn very well with hordes of zombies inside.
Entropy is not what it used to be.
Pages: 1 ... 647 648 [649] 650 651 ... 1086