Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 559 560 [561] 562 563 ... 1086

Author Topic: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A roaming horde appears on the horizon!  (Read 1861845 times)

Grendus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - Version 0.8 "Romero" released!
« Reply #8400 on: October 24, 2013, 04:59:41 pm »

I have finally figured out how to take screenshots in Ubuntu on a Chromebook. And so now I present to you - The Zombie Tour Bus!
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Now I need to decide... fight, or flight.
A quick guide to surviving your first few days in CataclysmDDA:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=121194.msg4796325;topicseen#msg4796325

Eagle

• Bay Watcher
  • [LARGE_ROAMING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8401 on: October 24, 2013, 05:03:00 pm »

So whats everyone's loadout?

I need to make some leather pouches and find some more 0 encumbrance storage things, as well as upgrade both my pantses to army pants, but this is fairly good for me. I'm also carrying a sawn off Saiga, a Marlin and a m1911 as backup weapons for my crowbar; normally I'd be carrying a longbow and some arrows, but this run has seen a lot better luck with a single melee weapon.

Also, finally figured out this run how to reinforce and improve kevlar/metal clothing!

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #8402 on: October 24, 2013, 05:28:10 pm »

Don't large quiver give encumbrance? Can I see your encumbrance screen?

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Grendus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8403 on: October 24, 2013, 05:38:03 pm »

My current loadout. I usually prefer to go with a leather outer layer, since it's fairly resilient while still easy to repair, but since I can't currently craft the leather trenchcoat and there isn't a good leather armor for the legs that isn't too encumbering (2 encumbrance for leather pants? pass) it's mostly just my extremities that are leather bound. I have the pelts to make a fur trenchcoat though, that should do nicely once I get around to it.

Edit: Forgot to attach the picture.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2013, 05:41:13 pm by Grendus »
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=121194.msg4796325;topicseen#msg4796325

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #8404 on: October 24, 2013, 05:55:54 pm »

it's mostly just my extremities that are leather bound

* scrdest murmurs something about the OOCQ thread and walks away.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #8405 on: October 24, 2013, 06:01:11 pm »

Here's my load-out: mostly military gear, I have 115 volume with only 1 torso encumbrance. Still need some fanny packs and miltiray drop pouches. Not much armor, but then I'm a ranged guy.

Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Eagle

• Bay Watcher
  • [LARGE_ROAMING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8406 on: October 24, 2013, 06:04:39 pm »

Don't large quiver give encumbrance? Can I see your encumbrance screen?

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #8407 on: October 24, 2013, 06:06:58 pm »

How can you do anything with that much encumbrance?

GrizzlyAdamz

• Bay Watcher
  • Herp de derp
    • View Profile
    • Check this shit out
« Reply #8408 on: October 24, 2013, 06:07:49 pm »

In the last stable, fur trenchcoats were better than leather in every respect- identical stats except they protected 50% better & weighed less.
Badges of honor
GENERATION 11: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
Check this shit out- (it changes)
Profile->Modify Profile->Look and Layout->Current Theme: Default [Change]->Darkling (it's good for your eyes and looks better)

Eagle

• Bay Watcher
  • [LARGE_ROAMING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8409 on: October 24, 2013, 06:08:05 pm »

Dunno, I'm managing pretty well, even though I'm mostly melee this run. I park my ass in windows a lot.

EDIT: An npc that was following me just threw down everything (including his rapier), pulled out an axe and ran at a bear. The bear somehow took his axe from him when it came after me, since I found it on its body after I shot it.

Didn't know stuck weapons could be found in the bodies afterwards, thats really cool.

EDIT2: Man, I'm growing ever more convinced that the swamp critters are the true infection. They don't seem to ever stop following, they seem to roam overly far from their swamps and rivers, and there seems to be no end to them. I'm incredibly glad I pulled 13 inactive turrets out of the rubble of a military base, they were worth the two arms blown off I paid for them.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2013, 06:26:21 pm by Eagle »

Grendus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8410 on: October 24, 2013, 06:49:30 pm »

Heavy encumbrance slows you down, but if you're wearing enough armor it isn't too big of a deal - what you lack in passive protection (killing things before they hurt you) you make up with active protection (being hard to hurt). With that much armor, you'd probably benefit from finding something heavy like a Zweihander(sp?) that's really slow but really powerful.

GrizzlyAdamz

• Bay Watcher
  • Herp de derp
    • View Profile
    • Check this shit out
« Reply #8411 on: October 24, 2013, 08:11:57 pm »

snip
I'm pretty sure you've got those two confused; active protection is stuff that avoids damage/takes action. Passive is static- things that mitigate damage that would be done.

Active fire protection would be sprinklers, while passive would be fire-resistant walls.
So, active damage reduction would be dodging attacks, passive would be layering on the armor.

EDIT2: Man, I'm growing ever more convinced that the swamp critters are the true infection. They don't seem to ever stop following, they seem to roam overly far from their swamps and rivers, and there seems to be no end to them. I'm incredibly glad I pulled 13 inactive turrets out of the rubble of a military base, they were worth the two arms blown off I paid for them.

Who needs arms anyway?
Badges of honor
GENERATION 11: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
Check this shit out- (it changes)
Profile->Modify Profile->Look and Layout->Current Theme: Default [Change]->Darkling (it's good for your eyes and looks better)

Eagle

• Bay Watcher
  • [LARGE_ROAMING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8412 on: October 24, 2013, 08:24:47 pm »

Who needs arms anyway?
[/quote]

Funnily enough, you dont even need arms! The way the damage system works right now, broken arms are set to 0 hp, but they take no further damage. This means that I was able to absorb a hell of a lot of bullets with my arms, without any sort of ill effects! And, once I had treated the pain and stitched up my clothing, I took no further penalties to either attacking or carrying!

Grendus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8413 on: October 24, 2013, 10:19:51 pm »

I like the changes to the spraycan flamethrower. It works exactly like it did before, except it fires 50 gasoline per shot so you have to carry a bottle of gasoline if you intend to use it more than once per excursion.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #8414 on: October 24, 2013, 10:44:55 pm »

I like the changes to the spraycan flamethrower. It works exactly like it did before, except it fires 50 gasoline per shot so you have to carry a bottle of gasoline if you intend to use it more than once per excursion.
Funnily enough that was the intended way that it was supposed to be working all along, it's just that the flag that was supposed to make it do that was broken. :P
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.
Pages: 1 ... 559 560 [561] 562 563 ... 1086