Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 533 534 [535] 536 537 ... 1086

Author Topic: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A roaming horde appears on the horizon!  (Read 1863173 times)

guitarxe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - Version 0.8 "Romero" released!
« Reply #8010 on: October 16, 2013, 03:10:46 pm »

I've come to an interesting point in the game. I can probably survive infinitely living off the plants and animals in the forest. I have heavily reinforced my evac shelter, but nobody has yet attacked me. I have recovered a car, a truck, and a quad bike and have repaired them to good working conditions. I have a longbow and metal arrows for my ranged weapon and a nail bat for melee, and can take on any zombies including Brutes without much trouble.

I have also explored all of the town near my evac shelter and have picked clean nearly half of it (big waste of time I now realise).

So uhm... what's left to do? What crazy things can I try?
Feeling down? Click Here!

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #8011 on: October 16, 2013, 03:19:03 pm »

Go explore mines. Once you get a petrified eye take on a strange temple. Or try taking on a triffid heart or fungal spire (fungal spires are even cooler now that the fungal changes have been merged!). Go explore labs or delve deep into the sewers! Try clearing out an hive of bees or an ant nest! Explore the deep underworld and see if you can find access to a dangerous lava-filled hellmouth! There is tons of stuff to do! (Note: If you play on classic pretty much all of this fun stuff doesn't exist. Go play normal mode and come back.)
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

guitarxe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8012 on: October 16, 2013, 03:23:54 pm »

??? None of the things you've mentioned I have found on my map. Well, apart from sewers. There were two caves but both of them were empty. I guess I need to go further out of town? I'm quite sure I'm not playing with "classic" turned on, but I'll check...

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8013 on: October 16, 2013, 03:27:47 pm »

In that case grab yourself some binoculars and go on a road trip! There's bunches of stuff out there if you go looking for it (or even if you don't in some cases :P).
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Grendus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8014 on: October 16, 2013, 03:36:02 pm »

Learn about the vehicle system and build yourself a solar RV before you head out. You can set up a mobile base with lots of storage, a mobile cook set and water storage with gallons of clean water, a welder that draws from the car batteries instead of needing constant reloading, a bed, and solar panels to power the whole thing. Makes life on the road much, much easier.
A quick guide to surviving your first few days in CataclysmDDA:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=121194.msg4796325;topicseen#msg4796325

GrizzlyAdamz

• Bay Watcher
  • Herp de derp
    • View Profile
    • Check this shit out
« Reply #8015 on: October 16, 2013, 04:05:34 pm »

Pretty much what's already been stated.

Build a car-base from scratch, (I recommend keeping it less than 4-wide), and explore. I doubt you'd've found all you could want from a single city, and there's a bunch of other locales. Labs in particular have computers that fill in a section of map if you can access them.

Also, books & cool weapons/armor, and particularly useful are CBMs and mutagens. Turn yourself into a cyborg wolf-man that wields a zweihander and drives a custom murder-dozer.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

« Last Edit: October 16, 2013, 04:11:03 pm by GrizzlyAdamz »
Badges of honor
GENERATION 11: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
Check this shit out- (it changes)
Profile->Modify Profile->Look and Layout->Current Theme: Default [Change]->Darkling (it's good for your eyes and looks better)

beorn080

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8016 on: October 16, 2013, 05:43:47 pm »

Four parking lots later, each one has had a single shopping cart on it. Where are the vehicles man.
Ustxu Iceraped the Frigid Crystal of Slaughter was a glacier titan. It was the only one of its kind. A gigantic feathered carp composed of crystal glass. It has five mouths full of treacherous teeth, enormous clear wings, and ferocious blue eyes. Beware its icy breath! Ustxu was associated with oceans, glaciers, boats, and murder.

GrizzlyAdamz

• Bay Watcher
  • Herp de derp
    • View Profile
    • Check this shit out
« Reply #8017 on: October 16, 2013, 06:49:46 pm »

The streets- your car is waiting for you, but in different vehicles. Get a wrench & a saw!
Badges of honor
GENERATION 11: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
Profile->Modify Profile->Look and Layout->Current Theme: Default [Change]->Darkling (it's good for your eyes and looks better)

Imp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8018 on: October 16, 2013, 06:52:38 pm »

For every trouble under the sun, there is an answer, or there is none.
If there is one, then seek until you find it.
If there is none, then never ever mind it.

beorn080

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8019 on: October 16, 2013, 07:41:21 pm »

The streets- your car is waiting for you, but in different vehicles. Get a wrench & a saw!
I know. I have them, but need another level of mechanics to get the pieces of them from the car into my shopping cart of doom.
Ustxu Iceraped the Frigid Crystal of Slaughter was a glacier titan. It was the only one of its kind. A gigantic feathered carp composed of crystal glass. It has five mouths full of treacherous teeth, enormous clear wings, and ferocious blue eyes. Beware its icy breath! Ustxu was associated with oceans, glaciers, boats, and murder.

guitarxe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8020 on: October 16, 2013, 07:42:38 pm »

I know. I have them, but need another level of mechanics to get the pieces of them from the car into my shopping cart of doom.

You can very quickly gain mechanics skill by removing and reinstalling parts from cars. Like tires, since they don't require a welder.

GrizzlyAdamz

• Bay Watcher
  • Herp de derp
    • View Profile
    • Check this shit out
« Reply #8021 on: October 16, 2013, 07:59:38 pm »

Or more uninstalling...if you can't do that, there's magazines and whatnot around. I'd uninstall till around 6 skill, then go back and start building.

Keep in mind: repairing an object always maxes it out, and doesn't necessarily consume the other part. You can repair a broken engine to pristine with an almost broken one.
Badges of honor

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8022 on: October 16, 2013, 08:07:37 pm »

Or more uninstalling...if you can't do that, there's magazines and whatnot around. I'd uninstall till around 6 skill, then go back and start building.

Keep in mind: repairing an object always maxes it out, and doesn't necessarily consume the other part. You can repair a broken engine to pristine with an almost broken one.
For now! MUHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!! :P

Imp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8023 on: October 16, 2013, 08:11:01 pm »

For now! MUHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!! :P

Ahhh, the mirthful malice of a mod motivated to go a'modding.  Warms the cockles of my heart, it very much does.
For every trouble under the sun, there is an answer, or there is none.
If there is one, then seek until you find it.
If there is none, then never ever mind it.

GrizzlyAdamz

• Bay Watcher
  • Herp de derp
    • View Profile
    • Check this shit out
« Reply #8024 on: October 16, 2013, 08:11:45 pm »

Say, you fellows mention 'character import'...what precisely do you mean?
Badges of honor
Pages: 1 ... 533 534 [535] 536 537 ... 1086