Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 485 486 [487] 488 489 ... 1086

Author Topic: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A roaming horde appears on the horizon!  (Read 1866891 times)

Sharp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - Version 0.8 "Romero" released!
« Reply #7290 on: October 03, 2013, 11:35:02 am »

I think skill rust was initially intended to basically make players have to choose a certain style of how to play instead of becoming amazing at everything.

Also iirc in Whales original, skill rust rate would cap at lvl 7 at having a 1/4 chance of reducing every 128 turns so it wasn't something like your lvl 20 in some skill and then you snooze for an hour and are lvl 10.

It's an interesting idea but the method to avoid skill rust seemed a bit too much like grinding, but I can certainly see the understanding of having skill rust otherwise going jack-of-all trades-master-of-all is easy to accomplish. Anyway plenty of options in DDA for skill rust so can tailor difficulty for however you feel.

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7291 on: October 03, 2013, 11:45:28 am »

If you're going to cap it, then cap it. Even with Whales there was stuff you could only do with skill levels higher than the cap, which is silly.

DoomOnion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7292 on: October 03, 2013, 11:47:58 am »

Yeah, and Azmodean just said that they are thinking of taking away those options. Way to go!

P.S. Considering how this thread gets locked by the devs whenever we start talking about things that don't quite match what the devs think, I sense another lockdown.

Fniff

• Bay Watcher
  • if you must die, die spectacularly
    • View Profile
« Reply #7293 on: October 03, 2013, 11:54:44 am »

Well, generally the thread gets locked when we discuss at length with that bandodger who shall not be named lest the mere appearance of his username show up on his constant google searches of himself.

DoomOnion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7294 on: October 03, 2013, 11:57:41 am »

Not really. The thread got locked the other day when Girlinhat and a couple of others were RAGING about underbushes destroying everything. Glyph even commented 'thread unlocked' as he unlocked the thread.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #7295 on: October 03, 2013, 11:58:14 am »

DoomOnion: the thread gets locked when people start being passive-aggresive or completely aggresive.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #7296 on: October 03, 2013, 11:58:52 am »

Yeah, and Azmodean just said that they are thinking of taking away those options. Way to go!

P.S. Considering how this thread gets locked by the devs whenever we start talking about things that don't quite match what the devs think, I sense another lockdown.
1) The reason skill rust is broken right now is because the amount of rust is way too high at the higher levels. If it's lower (and can be lowered further by INT scores), then it becomes a mechanic and adds more variety to the game, allowing things like forgetful to have an effect (and maybe another called "Good memory" or something similar that lowers rust rates). Also it gives purpose to some higher end things like the artificial memory CBM, and maybe we could even add a "perfect memory" mutation or something similar that would also allow you to circumvent or greatly slow rust levels.
2) The thread is not locked because things are posted that the devs disagree with. The thread is locked when lazycat (who has been banned dozens of times so far) shows up in alt form and starts posting here in order to limit the amount of posts that Toady needs to delete (and therefore the amount of time the board is 504'd).
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Fniff

• Bay Watcher
  • if you must die, die spectacularly
    • View Profile
« Reply #7297 on: October 03, 2013, 12:02:04 pm »

He did just mention the thread was locked due to an argument, but then again it might have been just to calm everyone down. As I remember, it wasn't going anywhere at all.

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7298 on: October 03, 2013, 12:04:35 pm »

Will there ever be a way to permanently raise your base stats? I find it hard to believe that someone who was weak before would stay weak even after doing all of the physical labour that surviving the apocalypse entails.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
  • Exploding me won't bring back your honey.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7299 on: October 03, 2013, 12:05:14 pm »

Will there ever be a way to permanently raise your base stats? I find it hard to believe that someone who was weak before would stay weak even after doing all of the physical labour that surviving the apocalypse entails.

Some mutations do this already. That's the only method I'm aware of.
And then, they will be weaponized. Like everything in this game, from kittens to babies, everything is a potential device of murder.
So if baseless speculation is all we have, we might as well treat it like fact.

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7300 on: October 03, 2013, 12:07:50 pm »

I meant through just general training. You can be a master at electronics and tailoring but still be as dexterous as a dead slug. Especially with the proposed skill rust system implying that you only gain skill for practical work, you can't even argue it away as being because they only know the theory better.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

DoomOnion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7301 on: October 03, 2013, 12:08:44 pm »

I once messed up a CBM installation and got the mutation 'Strong', which increased my strength by 1.

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7302 on: October 03, 2013, 12:19:48 pm »

I once messed up a CBM installation and got the mutation 'Strong', which increased my strength by 1.
That's still an accidental thing though, rather than generally growing stronger/better at stuff due to experience.
We already have exercise machines sitting useless in hotel cellars. Training up stats, or at least strength, doesn't really have a design reason for not existing.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7303 on: October 03, 2013, 12:25:47 pm »

I'm not really active on the forums anymore, but I do still get occasional updates on what is happening in this thread thanks to notifications, and...

[...]
Not really. The thread got locked the other day when Girlinhat and a couple of others were RAGING about underbushes destroying everything. Glyph even commented 'thread unlocked' as he unlocked the thread.

What the heck are you talking about. Toady himself has locked it several times while he removes the bandodge posts, and has occasionally forgotten to unlock it, in which case I'll remind him or unlock it myself if possible which it sometimes is, and then post a "thread unlocked" message to bump it back up to the top once the lock has been resolved, but I have never locked the thread over questioning the devs. I haven't even posted on the forum in weeks, so I'm not sure where you are getting this stuff happening "the other day" either.

Seriously. WTF.

And now I'm off and back into the shadows...

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #7304 on: October 03, 2013, 12:53:02 pm »

I meant through just general training. You can be a master at electronics and tailoring but still be as dexterous as a dead slug. Especially with the proposed skill rust system implying that you only gain skill for practical work, you can't even argue it away as being because they only know the theory better.
I've taken a few looks at attempting some sort of stat gain system and I've come to the conclusion that it would be fairly difficult to balance, but possible. Here were the basic goals I defined for said system:
  • The goal should be to have stat gain come about as a side effect of being a successful survivor. The new playstyle should not become "and then grind stats for the first 3 days to save on embark points" at the start of every game. This will probably be done by making the amount practiced very small, so that it's infeasible to grind them but you occasionally will get a nice stat upgrade as a more seasoned survivor.
  • Stat growth should be linked to doing things, not to skill levels.
  • There must be some sort of ultimate limit. (Potentially based on your base stat?, I'm thinking like ~1.5x your base right now.)
  • Stats should degrade over time if not used. This should be significantly slower then practice rates, meaning you won't get any degradations unless you spend a long time not doing things related to a specific task.
  • Stats should never degrade below your "base" stat.
  • Mutations will raise your "base" stat, but CBM's won't.

This really shouldn't be happening IMO, installing CBM's shouldn't give mutations but nobody has gotten around to changing it yet.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.
Pages: 1 ... 485 486 [487] 488 489 ... 1086