Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 456 457 [458] 459 460 ... 1086

Author Topic: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A roaming horde appears on the horizon!  (Read 1866871 times)

GrizzlyAdamz

• Bay Watcher
  • Herp de derp
    • View Profile
    • Check this shit out
Re: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - Version 0.8 "Romero" released!
« Reply #6855 on: September 28, 2013, 07:08:48 am »

Ah ok, so they're just possible loot troves?

-Also,
What about Mines?
« Last Edit: September 28, 2013, 07:16:50 am by GrizzlyAdamz »
Badges of honor
GENERATION 11: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
Check this shit out- (it changes)
Profile->Modify Profile->Look and Layout->Current Theme: Default [Change]->Darkling (it's good for your eyes and looks better)

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #6856 on: September 28, 2013, 07:31:51 am »

Most caves are usueless, but some of them are infested by sewer rats and have good loot.

I found a cave that was apparently a lair of a vegetarian wolf. One single wolf and quite a lot of fruits, even including one Royal Jelly.

E: Oh yeah, and my Varg Vikernes fan died to a psychotic survivor chick wielding a Firebrand. Turned off. I love how NPCs make a point of either stealing even the goddamn rock, pocket knife and crowbar you have so far, or murdering the shit out of you.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2013, 07:41:04 am by scrdest »
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

Blaze

• Bay Watcher
  • The Chaos that Crawls up on you with a Smile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6857 on: September 28, 2013, 08:08:33 am »

Ah ok, so they're just possible loot troves?

-Also,
What about Mines?
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: September 28, 2013, 08:13:49 am by Blaze »

Sindain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6858 on: September 28, 2013, 10:14:17 am »

Is there any way to repair stuff made of chitin?
"just once I'd like to learn a lesson without something exploding."

Grendus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6859 on: September 28, 2013, 10:20:41 am »

I recently DLed this, and I've been having lots of fun with it, but it always seems that as soon as I get a char rolling I get wiped by something stupid.  Any tips for a for a C:DDA noob?

1. You get experience for throwing anything, even if you don't hit anything. That giant pile of nails you've collected from all the stuff you've smashed? Throw it on the ground one space in front of you, one at a time. Within 3 RL minutes you can have throwing up to 3 or 4, which is enough to reliably peg a rabbit or squirrel. Free food.

2. Speaking of rabbits and squirrels, hunting is preferable to eating scavenged food. By about two days in, everything that isn't canned will start going bad and just... disappearing. Those canned goods are a non-renewable resource, stockpile them in a base don't eat them. The exception is bottled goods like orange juice or cider. Go ahead and drink these, then use the bottles for crafting and for carrying water.

3. Speaking of water. Get a pan and a pot, keep them at your base. You can burn rags for fire if you can't find wood, they work about as well and you can purify water (to avoid food poisoning) and cook meat (raw meat is very demoralizing). You'll need a spear-like weapon to cook the meat, but it's well worth it.

4. Speaking of spear like weapons, the knife spear is a very solid choice for starting weapon. It's a tough call, the nail board is better for dealing with skeletons, but the knife spear is better for zombies and leads naturally into the javelin which is a fairly solid weapon.

That's about as far as I've gotten, but it's kept me alive and well so far.
A quick guide to surviving your first few days in CataclysmDDA:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=121194.msg4796325;topicseen#msg4796325

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6860 on: September 28, 2013, 10:29:36 am »

Yep. Dump any jugs of rotten milk/ammonia/bleach you can't use and fill them with dirty toilet water, then purify it back at base. I hunt wolves with a crowbar and rocks and use their meat for food. Towns are really, really dangerous, so I usually avoid them unless I need something specific (books, medicine, things like that).

My preferred base is a sewage treatment plant outside town. Nice, big windows you can use to look out the front (and that animals won't smash for some reason) and a parking lot that could have a car/shopping cart.

Gamerboy4life

• Bay Watcher
  • Helicopegasus
    • View Profile
« Reply #6861 on: September 28, 2013, 10:50:45 am »

So, question about Factions.

Are they even implemented? On the faction page you can see a half dozen or so factions and descriptions, etc, but I've never seen or heard of them ingame.
I need to put something interesting here.

guessingo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6862 on: September 28, 2013, 10:52:23 am »

factions are not implemented. i dont think any work has been done on them since whales was developing the code. NPCs are turned off by default. the developers are working on other things first.

Iceblaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 50% less in-jokes!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6863 on: September 28, 2013, 10:53:09 am »

1. You get experience for throwing anything, even if you don't hit anything. That giant pile of nails you've collected from all the stuff you've smashed? Throw it on the ground one space in front of you, one at a time. Within 3 RL minutes you can have throwing up to 3 or 4, which is enough to reliably peg a rabbit or squirrel. Free food.

Longbow hunting is cooler though...

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6864 on: September 28, 2013, 10:54:32 am »

factions are not implemented. i dont think any work has been done on them since whales was developing the code. NPCs are turned off by default. the developers are working on other things first.

At this point, I'm really curious to know what, since it seems like NPCs are the only thing that isn't fully developed.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #6865 on: September 28, 2013, 11:08:55 am »

Yes would be nice to get a view on the direction of development, is there a dev roadmap/plan/etc... somewhere regarding the development of CDDA ?

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #6866 on: September 28, 2013, 11:15:33 am »

IIRC better handling of z-levels is in the works.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Gamerboy4life

• Bay Watcher
  • Helicopegasus
    • View Profile
« Reply #6867 on: September 28, 2013, 11:31:08 am »

Another question, how do you take smaller loads of ammo?

I have about 250 .45 rounds I want to use, but I don't want to take all 250. Just about 50 or so. Is there a way to do that?
I need to put something interesting here.

Iceblaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 50% less in-jokes!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6868 on: September 28, 2013, 11:32:39 am »

IIRC, 'd'rop then a number?

Let me go check...

Before post edit: Yes that is correct, just drop then type the number.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6869 on: September 28, 2013, 11:33:41 am »

I believe it also works when picking something up.  "50 a" will pick up 50 units of whatever item 'a' is.  It does NOT work in the / advanced inventory management screen.
Pages: 1 ... 456 457 [458] 459 460 ... 1086