Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 453 454 [455] 456 457 ... 1086

Author Topic: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A roaming horde appears on the horizon!  (Read 1866908 times)

Farce

• Bay Watcher
  • muttermutterbabble
    • View Profile
Re: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - Version 0.8 "Romero" released!
« Reply #6810 on: September 27, 2013, 09:33:19 pm »

How hard is it to pulp 'em?  I've plowed into them going like, 20-30 mph, on the occasions I've found working cars, and they often don't take enough damage to make their corpse disappear.  It's pretty tough to get up much faster, due to shit all over the road and whatnot.

Blaze

• Bay Watcher
  • The Chaos that Crawls up on you with a Smile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6811 on: September 27, 2013, 09:39:01 pm »

It's not too hard, but a bit time consuming. You can "s"mash them to damage them and eventually pulp them. I'm not sure how the math works out, since crowbars pulp them faster than sledgehammers.

Setting them on fire also works.

You basically need things like Shotguns with 00 rounds or LAWs/Explosives in order to deal enough damage to pulp them completely. Maybe a character with Hydraulic muscles wielding a nodachi with high skill and scoring a crit might do enough.

Also, you can toggle between static/dynamic spawn in the options.

Grendus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6812 on: September 27, 2013, 09:40:33 pm »

I guess it's just a playstyle difference. I prefer to clear out a safezone, very carefully killing zombies with clever use of rough terrain and bottlenecks. I usually butcher them, it's a great way to level Survival. It's really not that hard, you have a few hours, enough time that you can clear out a small hoard and have time to butcher them all before they can get back up. Spitters, Smokers, and Boomers are exceptions as they explode on death.

On a related note, what's the best way to deal with a zombie brute? The wiki suggests that they're more vulnerable to cutting than smashing, but I can't imagine that going toe to toe with one under any circumstance is a good idea.
A quick guide to surviving your first few days in CataclysmDDA:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=121194.msg4796325;topicseen#msg4796325

Akhier the Dragon hearted

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a Dragon, Roar
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #6813 on: September 27, 2013, 09:46:55 pm »

After all these new replies, the message I'm getting is: cheat and/or change the game settings.  That does not sell me on the idea that the game is significantly play-tested at this point.
   I think a few of them where actually just asking what settings you are using and suggesting if you had them higher than default maybe try a lower setting. For instance with town size the default is actually the smallest you can go (IE 4). If you want though I can try to do a video showing my basic survival tactics though to be honest I am not really that good at the game.
Join us. The crazy is at a perfect temperature today.
So it seems I accidentally put my canteen in my wheelbarrow and didn't notice... and then I got really thirsty... so right before going to sleep I go to take a swig from my canteen and... end up snorting a line of low-grade meth.

Farce

• Bay Watcher
  • muttermutterbabble
    • View Profile
« Reply #6814 on: September 27, 2013, 09:48:10 pm »

From my outdated knowledge base, I recall preferring to molotov Brutes.  If not that, shooting them in melee, making sure not to have any recoil.  Headshots are practically guaranteed, which means dedzambie.

I don't remember if they have armor, though.  For Hulks, which do, you're probably gonna wanna spray 'em with AP ammo at close range, also keeping recoil low.  Shotguns are also okay, but may not work well depending on shot-type - Birdshot is practically worthless, IIRC, for instance.  Molotov again probably one of the easier ways to deal with 'em.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #6815 on: September 27, 2013, 10:00:52 pm »

The TDI Vector is a pretty damned good choice of firearm if you can find one. 30 round magazine, -14 to recoil (which basically means no recoil ever), and it's chambered in .45.

Another good choice is the Savage 111F, if you've got a long-lived guns character. +6 to damage, rounds load individually, -11 to recoil, chambered in .308. They're also fairly common. The best part, though? If you can find a sniper conversion kit, it's absolutely brutal. You get +8 to damage, and the only downsides are to burst fire and clipsize. Thing is, it's already semi-auto, and only holds 3 rounds, so the reductions don't affect it at all. The last time I managed to kit one out was a few versions ago, but it was enough to one-shot a hulk with rifle and firearms at level 2-3ish.

But yeah, early on just toss mollies and lead the targets back and forth over the fire. If they die in it you don't even need to chop up the corpse, it'll burn away.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
  • Exploding me won't bring back your honey.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6816 on: September 27, 2013, 10:03:41 pm »

I have no idea how you people are finding these "massive hordes" of stuff on static spawn UNLESS you are literally sprinting down main street firing shotguns on day 1. Yeah, I'll probably have to kill a 12-20 zombies to get a house completely cleared but that's 1 or 2 at a time in bushes and windows where I take 0 damage using just a nail bat. It takes half a day, but it's really safe and if anything kills me on day 1, it's a bear or spider immediately after I leave shelter and haven't gotten tailoring up yet.
And then, they will be weaponized. Like everything in this game, from kittens to babies, everything is a potential device of murder.
So if baseless speculation is all we have, we might as well treat it like fact.

DeKaFu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6817 on: September 27, 2013, 10:08:37 pm »

I have no idea how you people are finding these "massive hordes" of stuff on static spawn UNLESS you are literally sprinting down main street firing shotguns on day 1. Yeah, I'll probably have to kill a 12-20 zombies to get a house completely cleared but that's 1 or 2 at a time in bushes and windows where I take 0 damage using just a nail bat. It takes half a day, but it's really safe and if anything kills me on day 1, it's a bear or spider immediately after I leave shelter and haven't gotten tailoring up yet.

This is basically exactly my experience.

Anyway, important question time: Do Adamantium Claws CBMs work with martial arts? My centipede-style character found some and I am deeply intrigued by the idea of lightning-fast flurries of clawstabs.

Grendus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6818 on: September 27, 2013, 10:10:39 pm »

Actually, a shrieker or a zombie inside that wants to go outside can draw a horde pretty quickly. But it's still just a matter of kiting and throwing to avoid damage until you can get enough protection and weapon skill to go toe to toe with them.
A quick guide to surviving your first few days in CataclysmDDA:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=121194.msg4796325;topicseen#msg4796325

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6819 on: September 27, 2013, 10:36:18 pm »

Claws act as a weapon, So I think no.
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

Kaitol

• Bay Watcher
  • Heya, Red.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6820 on: September 27, 2013, 10:48:46 pm »

Are all gunmods broken, or just some that have special flags? Because my brass catcher wasn't catching any brass, it was sending it into a micro-black hole, never to return.

Wondering if I can mod this pneumatic assault rifle into a pneumatic sniper rifle, with a scope and conversion kit and longer barrel and stuff and have it actually work in the version this character is in.

I think I saw a mod about adding weapon martial arts styles. So maybe soon in the future.

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6821 on: September 27, 2013, 10:54:58 pm »

Is the gun one that has no brass to catch? Say, caseless ammo or plasma?
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

Farce

• Bay Watcher
  • muttermutterbabble
    • View Profile
« Reply #6822 on: September 27, 2013, 11:04:20 pm »

>Decide to start up new game
>step outside of the shelter
>Triffid
>open map
>Triffid grove 4 spaces away

Dammit.

>New map
>closing the blinds on this evac sh-
>look out window
>fungaloid

DAMMIT.  That bloom is like 12 map sectors away!
« Last Edit: September 27, 2013, 11:07:22 pm by Farce »

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6823 on: September 27, 2013, 11:08:35 pm »

I'm poking around a Cathedral and getting a lot of debug error messages ("no such zombie at -coordinate- and such") that seem related to zombies following me up stairs.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Farce

• Bay Watcher
  • muttermutterbabble
    • View Profile
« Reply #6824 on: September 27, 2013, 11:10:48 pm »

Oh God they're spawning on all over the map, even the opposite side of my shelter from the bloom.  I have no mask I'm gonna die oh god.
Pages: 1 ... 453 454 [455] 456 457 ... 1086