Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 426 427 [428] 429 430 ... 1086

Author Topic: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A roaming horde appears on the horizon!  (Read 1859558 times)

teoleo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - Version 0.8 "Romero" released!
« Reply #6405 on: September 19, 2013, 12:11:12 pm »

mmmm...installing bionic is now very difficoltus

teoleo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6406 on: September 19, 2013, 12:16:12 pm »

how i can remove damaged or malfuctioning bionic?

Kaitol

• Bay Watcher
  • Heya, Red.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6407 on: September 19, 2013, 12:16:37 pm »

One thing you have to keep in mind is that the katana you find in the game are not ancient medieval katana, but more likely modern reproductions for example the field katana produced for the Japanese army in world war two, and made more like a regular western sword than a katana, using tempered steel and no special/indepth techniques in a factory. Although there are still some sword-smithies operating in Japan I believe, so its possible but unlikely its a modern forged blade (They're hella expensive iirc). Although if I recall a lot of the techniques have been lost. At least they'd most likely be made of steel.

So most likely they would behave more similarly to a saber or falchion of the west than a true katana. At least in terms of cutting edge and durability.

And if they are intended to be the real deal 300 year old swords... what the hell are random drug dealers doing carrying them around or rotting in peoples basements?

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6408 on: September 19, 2013, 12:29:49 pm »

fairly sure they can't be post-ww2 since they have been declared national treasures since or somesuch

unless one was smuggled away, which should be an option

CognitiveDissonance

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6409 on: September 19, 2013, 12:30:01 pm »

One thing you have to keep in mind is that the katana you find in the game are not ancient medieval katana, but more likely modern reproductions for example the field katana produced for the Japanese army in world war two, and made more like a regular western sword than a katana, using tempered steel and no special/indepth techniques in a factory. Although there are still some sword-smithies operating in Japan I believe, so its possible but unlikely its a modern forged blade (They're hella expensive iirc). Although if I recall a lot of the techniques have been lost. At least they'd most likely be made of steel.

So most likely they would behave more similarly to a saber or falchion of the west than a true katana. At least in terms of cutting edge and durability.

And if they are intended to be the real deal 300 year old swords... what the hell are random drug dealers doing carrying them around or rotting in peoples basements?

Good point. I did a bit of google research - your average modern katana is about 1kg, your average falchion is between 0.5 and 1, your average broadsword is between 1 and 2kg, scimitars are about 1.5kg and a rapier is 1kg. All about the same, really.
Come and be amazed by this wonderful menagerie! Draw your own! Bring your favorite! The [Forgotten Beast Art Contest] is open for business!
Now also available - [The Legendary Artifact Art Contest]! It menaces! It has rings! It has craftsdwarfship!
I have a [YouTube] channel! It has Let's Plays and other stuff.

teoleo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6410 on: September 19, 2013, 12:45:57 pm »

what's the indicator between sound and safe?

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #6411 on: September 19, 2013, 01:21:51 pm »

Good point. I did a bit of google research - your average modern katana is about 1kg, your average falchion is between 0.5 and 1, your average broadsword is between 1 and 2kg, scimitars are about 1.5kg and a rapier is 1kg. All about the same, really.

Probably 90% of all swords you'd find these days are modern junk designed to be sold to people who think swords are 'cool', and many of those are decorative quality only. They're not actually sharpened and many would collapse after a bit of use because the handles aren't really attached well.

While a really good sword would be a godsend against zombies, you're not actually that likely to find a decent quality one unless you get really lucky. A standard hardware store machete would actually be your best bet, really, since chopping down small trees and shrubs and actual extended use is pretty much perfect for fighting zombies. Old military sabers would be good too, since those were also designed for real combat use (specifically slashing).

This game really needs quality levels for items beyond simple damage levels to reflect that, though.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6412 on: September 19, 2013, 01:28:22 pm »

The only good ancient weapons you could find would be in a museum or made by crazy people.

DoomOnion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6413 on: September 19, 2013, 01:40:04 pm »

The only good ancient weapons you could find would be in a museum or made by crazy people.

Which is exactly why we should have museums in game.

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
  • Exploding me won't bring back your honey.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6414 on: September 19, 2013, 01:41:01 pm »

How about differentiating between the mockup crap in pawn shops and player-forged ones made with fabrication? The secrets of swordsmithing book trains fabrication up to 8, so it makes sense that stuff of that skill in those circumstances would be pretty sturdy and designed for reliability.
And then, they will be weaponized. Like everything in this game, from kittens to babies, everything is a potential device of murder.
So if baseless speculation is all we have, we might as well treat it like fact.

CognitiveDissonance

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6415 on: September 19, 2013, 01:43:18 pm »

This game really needs quality levels for items beyond simple damage levels to reflect that, though.

Can't this be ameliorated by simply adding new items of inferior quality? "Cheap Replica Broadsword", "Rusted Rapier" etc.

I don't know... I have gone to a few longsword classes, and about half the people there have a utilitarian longsword that can be sharpened to a good edge. I have a friend in US with a decent collection of swords. I know of a blacksmith or two in town who have made decent swords for fun and profit. And then there are the collectors. It would be rare, but not impossible.

Still - you are much more likely to find gardening shears, a machette, a small one-handed wood axe and a police baton.
Come and be amazed by this wonderful menagerie! Draw your own! Bring your favorite! The [Forgotten Beast Art Contest] is open for business!
Now also available - [The Legendary Artifact Art Contest]! It menaces! It has rings! It has craftsdwarfship!
I have a [YouTube] channel! It has Let's Plays and other stuff.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6416 on: September 19, 2013, 01:45:24 pm »

I said crazy people.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #6417 on: September 19, 2013, 01:53:10 pm »

how i can remove damaged or malfuctioning bionic?
You can't right now.

what's the indicator between sound and safe?
It's a daylight/moonlight indicator (assuming a magical world where the moon and sun are on direct opposite sides). If you ever get a watch or watch-equivalent it will be replaced with an exact time.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #6418 on: September 19, 2013, 01:55:23 pm »

Can't this be ameliorated by simply adding new items of inferior quality? "Cheap Replica Broadsword", "Rusted Rapier" etc.

Yeah, as long as you can effect the drop rates so most of this stuff shows up as the cheap stuff that would work ok. Be nicer to have quality levels, though, so that player crafting is more interesting and rewarding if you have the right tools and skills.

I don't know... I have gone to a few longsword classes, and about half the people there have a utilitarian longsword that can be sharpened to a good edge. I have a friend in US with a decent collection of swords. I know of a blacksmith or two in town who have made decent swords for fun and profit. And then there are the collectors. It would be rare, but not impossible.

Still - you are much more likely to find gardening shears, a machette, a small one-handed wood axe and a police baton.

Yeah. Decent stuff should certainly be around. I have a few, and most SCA people I know are likely to have at least one decent quality sword. But compared the general public? Not too common. And I don't feel like swords are all that common in general.

Armor is much rarer, especially wearable armor that isn't effectively a statue, but I do feel like most armor that people do have is at least decent quality.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
« Reply #6419 on: September 19, 2013, 02:09:26 pm »

Which is exactly why we should have museums in game.
Totally reminds me of the museum scene in Demolition Man
Pages: 1 ... 426 427 [428] 429 430 ... 1086