Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 424 425 [426] 427 428 ... 1086

Author Topic: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A roaming horde appears on the horizon!  (Read 1859739 times)

USEC_OFFICER

• Bay Watcher
  • Pulls the strings and makes them ring.
    • View Profile
Re: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - Version 0.8 "Romero" released!
« Reply #6375 on: September 18, 2013, 08:18:14 pm »

After conducting a minimum of research, I can say that if acid rain melts plastic/glass/steel containers then you should be horribly, horribly dead. Your body is much more susceptible to damage than steel/glass/plastics are. So you should able to store acid rain in any container you want since it no longer causes damage. It's only when you concentrate the acid that it should melt containers, with steel being the weakest material due to how quickly it oxidizes. Ironically enough plastic is probably the best material for resisting acid, though that depends on its exact chemical makeup.

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6376 on: September 18, 2013, 08:25:53 pm »

So what sort of plastic is best? Also, perhaps future plastic is more susceptible.
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

Doohl

• Bay Watcher
  • [OMNIPOTENT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6377 on: September 18, 2013, 08:26:36 pm »

Is there some way to toggle the sprites off? I feel like it makes navigating rather confusing, especially navigating the interiors of cars.

Apparently it's under options! Oops! Could've sworn there was no tile toggle in there.

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6378 on: September 18, 2013, 08:32:12 pm »

The three tabs are a pain most of the time.
Highly Opinionated Fool

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6379 on: September 18, 2013, 08:43:20 pm »

Drop an empty container on the same tile as a deployed funnel, and wait.  It's somewhat tricky to make it work, I usually have to wait with the | menu, or by holding 5 or . to progress time.  Sleeping and crafting seemed to disable funnel filling for that time...

Ah. So, basically any time it would be really useful and handy doesn't actually work (including acid rain, which melts containers). Well then....
Funnels seem to have an exception, where they don't melt.  In several weeks sitting in one location while I read books, ate wolves that came at me, and collected rainwater, I never had my funnels destroyed or even damaged despite frequent acid rains.  Anything else left out was eventually totally destroyed, including used skill books that were scattered around.

USEC_OFFICER

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6380 on: September 18, 2013, 08:44:08 pm »

So what sort of plastic is best? Also, perhaps future plastic is more susceptible.

It depends a lot on the plastic, type of acid and its concentration. Not all plastics are good against all acids, though some are better than others (the plastics they use for sex toys? Highly resistant against almost anything). Polyethylene terephthalate (the stuff they like to use for plastic bottles and grocery bags) is resistant against acids in low concentrations, but will melt at higher percentages (generally seems to be around 30~40%). So plastic bottles will be perfectly fine holding acid rain until you concentrate it. Though really, anything that melts in acid rain would probably melt in a regular rainstorm. Acid rain isn't terribly powerful stuff.

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6381 on: September 18, 2013, 08:45:44 pm »

You have to set up the funnels for that, else they get killed anyways.
Highly Opinionated Fool

Knight of Fools

• Bay Watcher
  • From Start to Beginning
    • View Profile
    • Knight of Fools
« Reply #6382 on: September 18, 2013, 08:55:13 pm »

Reading through his article on rapiers, I think I'd like to see the rapier receive a little buff. I didn't realize they dominated broadswords so hard in duels. The last time I came across one in-game I was unimpressed.

I think we need to have weapons scale with skills at different rates. So some weapons are better for beginners, but other weapons would surpass them as you became more skilled. So a rapier would be a crappy weapon in the hands of beginner since they wouldn't be able to hit vitals reliably, but when you get really good at melee weapons you'll be criting zombies left and right. Pistols and shotguns would also be easier to use at first than rifles, but later on they'd be less attractive due to lower damage/range. Just a thought.

I really like this idea. Biggest problem I see is balancing it so "newbie" weapon types are still viable in the end game.
Proud Member of the Zombie Horse Executioner Squad. "This Horse ain't quite dead yet."

I don't have a British accent, but I still did a YouTube.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #6383 on: September 18, 2013, 09:03:36 pm »

Reading through his article on rapiers, I think I'd like to see the rapier receive a little buff. I didn't realize they dominated broadswords so hard in duels. The last time I came across one in-game I was unimpressed.

I think we need to have weapons scale with skills at different rates. So some weapons are better for beginners, but other weapons would surpass them as you became more skilled. So a rapier would be a crappy weapon in the hands of beginner since they wouldn't be able to hit vitals reliably, but when you get really good at melee weapons you'll be criting zombies left and right. Pistols and shotguns would also be easier to use at first than rifles, but later on they'd be less attractive due to lower damage/range. Just a thought.

I really like this idea. Biggest problem I see is balancing it so "newbie" weapon types are still viable in the end game.
You've already got that, to a certain degree. Blunt weapons almost certainly won't be high-skill, but they also have the most well-rounded type of melee damage. Pistols lack range, accuracy, and damage compared to rifles, but they're small enough that you can carry more than one for situations where you don't have time to reload. They also IIRC tend to have lower recoil, making them good for CQC (like SMGs). Don't use shotguns.  :P

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

USEC_OFFICER

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6384 on: September 18, 2013, 09:06:03 pm »

All weapon types are viable in the end-game, since they all get a boost to their ability from higher skill levels. So the meta between weapon types would remain more or less the same. The idea would simply change how powerful the weapons are in relation to each other.

Imp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6385 on: September 19, 2013, 01:38:41 am »

Spotted a bug affecting resuming a task.

Killed a zombie, with an aggressive zombie dog nearby.  Thought I had time to butcher the zombie before the dog reached me, so tried.  Got interrupted by getting hurt.

Killed the dog, then decided to get the stuff I threw to kill it and butcher the dog before returning to the half butchered zombie.

But when I started on the new corpse, I got the option to resume task, and when I went back to the partially flensed corpse, I had to start anew.

Edited to add, spotted a second (cosmetic) bug.

Had a jerrycan full (40) of water.  Had water purification tablets (10).  Tried to use the tablets on the jerrycan, and was told 'You don't have enough battery power to purify all the water.'
« Last Edit: September 19, 2013, 03:30:00 am by Imp »
For every trouble under the sun, there is an answer, or there is none.
If there is one, then seek until you find it.
If there is none, then never ever mind it.

Akhier the Dragon hearted

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a Dragon, Roar
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #6386 on: September 19, 2013, 03:43:47 am »

It depends a lot on the plastic, type of acid and its concentration. Not all plastics are good against all acids, though some are better than others (the plastics they use for sex toys? Highly resistant against almost anything). Polyethylene terephthalate (the stuff they like to use for plastic bottles and grocery bags) is resistant against acids in low concentrations, but will melt at higher percentages (generally seems to be around 30~40%). So plastic bottles will be perfectly fine holding acid rain until you concentrate it. Though really, anything that melts in acid rain would probably melt in a regular rainstorm. Acid rain isn't terribly powerful stuff.
   Just to remind everyone discussing the acid rain. Its not acid rain, its rain containing a caustic material that has spewed forth from open portals and quickly decays and stops being such a horrible stuff in a relatively short time frame. The only reason the terrible "acid" rain continues is that the portals are still spewing forth the horrible stuff. Its referred to as acid rain because the material acts acidic. Or in other words I could never understand why you could make actual acid from it to create batteries with.(or at least this is how I remember it being)
Join us. The crazy is at a perfect temperature today.
So it seems I accidentally put my canteen in my wheelbarrow and didn't notice... and then I got really thirsty... so right before going to sleep I go to take a swig from my canteen and... end up snorting a line of low-grade meth.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6387 on: September 19, 2013, 09:05:10 am »

I just assumed the world was thoroughly fucked, and there were literal clouds of acid floating around with no water content - normal acid rain is 'water laced with slightly caustic chemicals' but this would be 'evaporated sulfuric acid' because the ecology is just THAT messed up now.

TempAcc

• Bay Watcher
  • [CASTE:SATAN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6388 on: September 19, 2013, 09:58:30 am »

The new professions are great. My super melee hobo build is pretty great and fun to play as, you just have to be careful to deal with your extreme alcohol addiction in the first days and getting proper clothes asap before you get a cold.
On normal internet forums, threads devolve from content into trolling. On Bay12, it's the other way around.
There is no God but TempAcc, and He is His own Prophet.

Krevsin

• Bay Watcher
  • [RAINBOWS:REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6389 on: September 19, 2013, 10:10:26 am »

Note: Mooses are freaking dangerous. I lost 3 well-equipped survivors to them already.
Pages: 1 ... 424 425 [426] 427 428 ... 1086