Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 416 417 [418] 419 420 ... 1086

Author Topic: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A roaming horde appears on the horizon!  (Read 1859367 times)

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - Version 0.8 "Romero" released!
« Reply #6255 on: September 16, 2013, 04:36:53 pm »

Here is an idea, a "shock absorber" part that stops the damage from going back past it, as long as it in below a certain level. If that level is exceeded than it breaks and transfers the damage anyways.

armored shock absorber lines

three of these in front of your battlebus and you're ready to pave a way through a city again

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6256 on: September 16, 2013, 04:39:09 pm »

Thats what I was thinking. Of course, it may also bounce you back and/or destroy everything in front. And it may need piles and piles of springs as well as lots of extra things.
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #6257 on: September 16, 2013, 04:52:16 pm »

You know, I've been thinking - the whole force carries through thing actually makes sense. to a certain extent. Imagine a car, but the part in the middle is made out of cardboard (say from the front of the front door to the back of the back). That part is going to crumple in a head on accident even if the front is sturdy enough to survive unscathed!  SO if we want something pseudorealistic we need to keep in mind that the weak point in the chain IS the most likely to break.

Theres still plenty of ways to make it better but its worth keeping in mind. If you really want something to stay safe for fragile bits you want some sort of shock absorbers like car crumple zones inside a rigid frame making sure the fragile elements only have to have their own weight absorbed

Mmm. Partly. But you have to remember that pretty much every piece of a vehicle is attached by having a Steel Frame there first. That is the part that should be absorbing the force, for the most part. So while your tanks and RV kitchen might be more fragile than a solid steel plate, they really shouldn't be getting the impact at all. The Steel frame they are attached to is.

After all, it's not like the basic plastic console box in my car isn't going to shatter if I get into an accident. In fact, it's probably going to be just fine. Something inside it might break from the stopping force, but anything that's actually attached to the car isn't going to be hurt unless it is directly impacted. That's part of the point of the steel frame, it takes the blow and diffuses the force of the blow along it. If you had a wooden support frame as part of the car (quite doable, by the way, and something that should at least be an option) it would break, certainly, but that's frame and not component added to a frame.

Basic point is that the weakest frame piece is your weak link, not the stuff attached to a frame. Those only get damaged in a direct impact unless you're going really fast. And even then it's usually fragile stuff like glass that breaks, not rigid materials like plastic or metal.

Crumple zones and the like also help a lot, of course, since the reduce force before it even gets transmitted along to attached parts.

My brain is a little fuzzy right now, so hopefully that made sense.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2013, 04:56:42 pm by Mephansteras »
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Nighthawk

• Bay Watcher
  • INT Score: Yes
    • View Profile
« Reply #6258 on: September 16, 2013, 04:53:43 pm »

Thats what I was thinking. Of course, it may also bounce you back and/or destroy everything in front. And it may need piles and piles of springs as well as lots of extra things.
Shock-absorbing-spring-kevlar, please. 300 bash resistance and 4 encumbrance sounds fair.
I want to be this guy:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #6259 on: September 16, 2013, 04:56:48 pm »

You know, I've been thinking - the whole force carries through thing actually makes sense. to a certain extent. Imagine a car, but the part in the middle is made out of cardboard (say from the front of the front door to the back of the back). That part is going to crumple in a head on accident even if the front is sturdy enough to survive unscathed!  SO if we want something pseudorealistic we need to keep in mind that the weak point in the chain IS the most likely to break.

Theres still plenty of ways to make it better but its worth keeping in mind. If you really want something to stay safe for fragile bits you want some sort of shock absorbers like car crumple zones inside a rigid frame making sure the fragile elements only have to have their own weight absorbed

Mmm. Partly. But you have to remember that pretty much every piece of a vehicle is attached by having a Steel Frame there first. That is the part that should be absorbing the force, for the most part. So while your tanks and RV kitchen might be more fragile than a solid steel plate, they really shouldn't be getting the impact at all. The Steel frame they are attached to is.

After all, it's not like the basic plastic console box in my car isn't going to shatter if I get into an accident. In fact, it's probably going to be just fine. Something inside it might break from the stopping force, but anything that's actually attached to the car isn't going to be hurt unless it is directly impacted. That's part of the point of the steel frame, it takes the blow and diffuses the force of the blow along it. If you had a wooden support frame as part of the car (quite doable, by the way, and something that should at least be an option) it would break, certainly, but that's frame and not component added to a frame.

Basic point is that the weakest frame piece is your weak link, not the stuff attached to a frame. Those only get damaged in a direct impact unless you're going really fast. And even then it's usually fragile stuff like glass that breaks, not rigid materials like plastic or metal.

My brain is a little fuzzy right now, so hopefully that made sense.
I think the point in detail is the outer-inner mechanic. Make it like clothing mechanic that the outermost part in relation to the direction of impacts gets the damage.

. . .And by that, I mean 'not by shrubs which are of lesser density than steel and only have the advantage of photosynthesis :I'

Though either the point is that we can make cars out of cardboard, or that steel plates are actually cardboard painted silver would also work. :P

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6260 on: September 16, 2013, 04:57:23 pm »

Meph thats why I mentioned the rigid frame in my last sentence :P

The primary benefit of hard armor isnt to reduce force but to shape it - spread it out, send it around things, etc. Add some shock absorbers inside a rigid frame to absorb the internally generated force vs. frame and you should be golden... at least until the frame buckled of course :P

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #6261 on: September 16, 2013, 04:59:44 pm »

Meph thats why I mentioned the rigid frame in my last sentence :P

The primary benefit of hard armor isnt to reduce force but to shape it - spread it out, send it around things, etc. Add some shock absorbers inside a rigid frame to absorb the internally generated force vs. frame and you should be golden... at least until the frame buckled of course :P

Yeah. Part of my point is that all the vehicles in game already have a rigid frame as part of the building process, so it makes sense to start from there.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Blaze

• Bay Watcher
  • The Chaos that Crawls up on you with a Smile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6262 on: September 16, 2013, 05:00:35 pm »

I seem to be able to cauterize myself with a combat knife.
For FUN.

Anyway how does armor currently work on vehicles? Whenever I hit something it's usually some other component that gets hit first, the armor itself remains unscathed.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6263 on: September 16, 2013, 07:48:42 pm »

Thread unlocked.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #6264 on: September 16, 2013, 07:58:45 pm »

The first thing I did after finding a good place to set up base in the new version was to clear out a schoolhouse that was a little too close for comfort. Around 120 dead and butchered child zeds later, I'm sitting on top of a hefty morale penalty. The solution? Dig ditches for half a day, sleep on it.  :P

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Imp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6265 on: September 16, 2013, 08:11:23 pm »

I'm sitting on top of a hefty morale penalty. The solution? Dig ditches for half a day, sleep on it.  :P

Yeah, isn't a bad enough morale supposed to have serious effects?  Like... suicide or something?
For every trouble under the sun, there is an answer, or there is none.
If there is one, then seek until you find it.
If there is none, then never ever mind it.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #6266 on: September 16, 2013, 08:21:50 pm »

I'm sitting on top of a hefty morale penalty. The solution? Dig ditches for half a day, sleep on it.  :P

Yeah, isn't a bad enough morale supposed to have serious effects?  Like... suicide or something?
Other then reducing your ability to learn things to basically nothing and preventing you from crafting anything? Not at the moment.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #6267 on: September 16, 2013, 11:00:12 pm »

So in .8 are vehicles respecting user defined keybinding?
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #6268 on: September 17, 2013, 12:04:25 am »

After a nice early run in which i managed to grab some nice items and kill a few zombies at a town border with them, i entered in a house, as there was no opening, i broke a window and moved in, found some bottle of clean water in it, then opened a closed door.

Only to be attacked by ... a moose that was in the closed room there.
So considering there was no opening and nothing window/door broken , the animal didn't got in there by himself, i can only imagine that the original owner of that house was happy to have a moose indoor.

I wish i had not forgot to reload my pistol from an early zombie shooting ... the beast was very angry, and very eager to destroy my character.

Sharp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6269 on: September 17, 2013, 04:56:50 am »

Regarding weakest-link breaking first you guys are missing the point when it's happening regarding cars driving over bushes.

A lorry/truck can be going at 80 mph and go right through a car, the lorry won't slow down that much although the engine might be killed as it is taking direct impact damage, there isn't a need for shock absorbers as the bumper will take the impact and the force acting on that which slows it down will be getting crushed by the engine block, the lorry won't decelerate quickly but slowly so it doesn't matter if it's carrying a cargo of fragile wine glasses because the force that is acting on them is just the deceleration.

Driving through a bush in an RV should just cause damage to the front, if it's low speed then there shouldn't be enough deceleration to cause damage to a kitchen unit inside, if it's at high speed then the mass of the RV should be more then enough to plough right through the bush although the front of the RV might explode, either way the kitchen unit should be fine. 
Pages: 1 ... 416 417 [418] 419 420 ... 1086