Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 341 342 [343] 344 345 ... 1086

Author Topic: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A roaming horde appears on the horizon!  (Read 1860586 times)

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
Re: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead
« Reply #5130 on: July 31, 2013, 11:04:28 am »

In that case I think we'd need skill books up to high levels for everything.

Tailoring books only go up to like 3, but there's crafting up to like 8.  During normal rust-enabled play, you'd never be able to craft these things, you'd have to very purposefully metagame it and spend a few days crafting tank tops to get your skill high enough for chitinous armor.

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
  • Exploding me won't bring back your honey.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5131 on: July 31, 2013, 11:14:18 am »

In that case I think we'd need skill books up to high levels for everything.

Tailoring books only go up to like 3, but there's crafting up to like 8.  During normal rust-enabled play, you'd never be able to craft these things, you'd have to very purposefully metagame it and spend a few days crafting tank tops to get your skill high enough for chitinous armor.

Yeah this just feels gamey to me, like most of the rust system as-is. One day I installed solar panels on a camper, the next day I had completely forgotten how they work and couldn't repair them. I read a book for 3 and a half hours, but then got hungry, and after I went to gather and prepare food and water and took a nap I'd forgotten everything I read because I quit 10 pages before the end of a chapter (middle rust option). It feels like your brain is a leaky sponge once you get really good at something. CBM installation and high-level mechanics are the most prominent examples.
And then, they will be weaponized. Like everything in this game, from kittens to babies, everything is a potential device of murder.
So if baseless speculation is all we have, we might as well treat it like fact.

debvon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5132 on: July 31, 2013, 11:29:26 am »

I tried to find info on this but couldn't, maybe I missed it in the wiki. Is there any use in moving articles of clothing around in the CLOTHING SORTING screen '+'? At first I thought that outermost clothing would take heavier damage in combat, but I couldn't really tell.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5133 on: July 31, 2013, 11:34:38 am »

Outermost items will take more damage during combat, is the only thing I can determine.

Keep in mind essentially every item of clothing does NOT cover your body completely - most have 95% coverage, but many cover less.  This means that while the outermost will get hit more often, damage can still be dealt to inner clothing.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #5134 on: July 31, 2013, 11:40:33 am »

Maybe skill rust should only engage about a day after the skill was last trained?

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5135 on: July 31, 2013, 12:04:48 pm »

From what I understand, there IS a plan to change skill rust.

Basically, "rust" would end up as a different stat for each skill from that skills "level" and "experience". Rusting would lower the effectiveness of using the skill, reduce xp-gain, and increase the time actions take, but wouldn't actually make you forget recipes or lower your skill. It would take a bit of time to work off rust, depending on how long you've been away from the activity, so improving will still take dedicated effort, but you don't have to worry about starting completely and losing it all if you take a week off after.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5136 on: July 31, 2013, 12:16:07 pm »

That sounds entirely more managable!  One change I'd make though - when you're suffering rust, and you gain experience in that skill, you should get like 1/2 as much exp applied to training, and 2x rust reduction.  This would help you 'get back into the groove' quickly and make training possible.  Otherwise, I can imagine when you reach level 8 in tailoring, and don't train it for a long time, then you get reduced exp rate for performing tailoring after that, you could spend ages failing to recover your lost skill.

So skill rust needs to deplete relatively quickly.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #5137 on: July 31, 2013, 12:16:30 pm »

Good to hear. I turn off skill rust because it's really annoying to spend a while working on a rarely used skill, like electronics, only to have it vanish some time later when I'm worrying about survival. Having a more reasonable system in place would make me turn it back on.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Urist_McGamer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5138 on: July 31, 2013, 12:18:40 pm »

Good to hear. I turn off skill rust because it's really annoying to spend a while working on a rarely used skill, like electronics, only to have it vanish some time later when I'm worrying about survival. Having a more reasonable system in place would make me turn it back on.

Same here.
But others might prefer to have the mess contained behind windows to avoid tracking blood all over the their nice, color coordinated floor patterns. Kind of the Ozzy Osborne vs. Martha Stewart debate.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5139 on: July 31, 2013, 12:22:16 pm »

Try Computers.

Personally I think we need to be able to craft 'cheat sheets' based on our skill level and time invested.  If you reach Skill 7 in Tailoring, you can craft a cheatsheet up to level 7, and you can read it to negate rust up to a certain point, or have it in your inventory to negate some rust.  Maybe make them for one crafting recipe in particular, like being able to find a 'document of craft pipe bomb' and be able to craft it despite your skill level (at low success rate) or to somehow bolster your skill amount.  I like the idea of being able to carry items that boost your skill to some degree :P

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5140 on: July 31, 2013, 12:41:13 pm »

That sounds entirely more managable!  One change I'd make though - when you're suffering rust, and you gain experience in that skill, you should get like 1/2 as much exp applied to training, and 2x rust reduction.

Yep, that's pretty much the plan. The severity depends on how much rust you've accumulated though. The more rust, the less experience gained, but the quicker the rust goes away. And you'll almost always be gaining at least some skill. So sometimes (for extreme cases of rust) it might be 1/8 as much experience and 8x rust reduction instead, for example. Of course, every time you reduce some rust the equation changes, until it's back at 1x experience and 1x rust reduction.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5141 on: July 31, 2013, 01:24:46 pm »

None of those things allow you to launch Nuclear ICBMs though. Computers does.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5142 on: July 31, 2013, 01:34:38 pm »

I foresee a larger role for computers in the future, though. The new crafting skill system is already implemented, and will be expanded, so things like auto-turrets and manhacks and other robotic allies will probably require/train computers in addition to electronics and mechanics.

ggamer

• Bay Watcher
  • Reach Heaven through Violence
    • View Profile
« Reply #5143 on: July 31, 2013, 01:49:11 pm »

What I would like to see is a peripheral that allows hacking into robots and other electronics with a high enough computer skill. Once you hack in, you have a number of options with what to do, such as overheating a power unit to cause an explosion, overriding IFF protocols, maybe a deconstruct/decomission option to get the electronics from the robot unharmed, etc.

WealthyRadish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5144 on: July 31, 2013, 02:09:45 pm »

Butchering robots with a screwdriver should be a thing.
Pages: 1 ... 341 342 [343] 344 345 ... 1086