Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 257 258 [259] 260 261 ... 1086

Author Topic: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A roaming horde appears on the horizon!  (Read 1860461 times)

Mr Space Cat

• Bay Watcher
  • inactive, changed accounts. sig for info
    • View Profile
Re: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead (Discuss the Kickstarter in the other thread)
« Reply #3870 on: July 03, 2013, 02:43:19 pm »

So I made the mistake of lighting a campfire indoors...yeah. I woke up about five minutes later with a fire burning out of control, at 12:00 at night.

Thankfully, I was wearing the gas mask I had for extra warmth so I didn't choke on smoke or anything and managed to escape with the biotics and water purifier I had found, along with enough foodstuff and medkits, but all the two-by-fours I was gonna use are burned, and some food supplies are lost. Worst yet, it looks like my camp-building is gonna burn down.

Why would you make a sewage treatment plant out of flammable materials? D:
Made a new account that I use instead of this one. Don't message this one, I'm probably not gonna use it.

New account: Spehss _

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3871 on: July 03, 2013, 02:46:01 pm »

- Heavily damaged vehicles are scattered everywhere
Anything new and exciting with vehicles?  Wooden armor parts, mounted water funnels, or armor than won't be bashed down by a single zombie in your sleep?

CognitiveDissonance

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3872 on: July 03, 2013, 02:58:17 pm »

- Heavily damaged vehicles are scattered everywhere
Anything new and exciting with vehicles?  Wooden armor parts, mounted water funnels, or armor than won't be bashed down by a single zombie in your sleep?

No idea, I'm not that big on vehicles. I think I'm the only one.
Come and be amazed by this wonderful menagerie! Draw your own! Bring your favorite! The [Forgotten Beast Art Contest] is open for business!
Now also available - [The Legendary Artifact Art Contest]! It menaces! It has rings! It has craftsdwarfship!
I have a [YouTube] channel! It has Let's Plays and other stuff.

Mr Space Cat

• Bay Watcher
  • inactive, changed accounts. sig for info
    • View Profile
« Reply #3873 on: July 03, 2013, 03:09:58 pm »

I went to sleep in the flatbed truck I crashed in the forest earlier after the last of the sewage treatment plant burned down. I slept for 8 hours in the truck, perfectly warm and comfortable all night...while it rained acid. All night. Waking up, I'm currently at 57 units of pain. I would've thought the truck had a roof or something.

Something seems weird about the temperature system. When I attempted to sleep in the sewage plant, wearing an emergency blanket, a hoodie, under armor, cargo pants, army pants, a kevlar vest, a gas mask, and an army helmet, I woke up a couple hours later from the cold. I went from warm to cold in a few hours despite wearing all that gear for insulation. The cold was why I tried a fire, and burned down the plant.

But sleeping in a car was perfectly fine, I stayed warm the entire night with no change in clothing. dunno if there's additional factors like what material you're sleeping on, but it's odd there was such a difference between sleeping in a building on the floor and sleeping in a car (that apparently had no roof because I still got burned by acid rain all night)
Made a new account that I use instead of this one. Don't message this one, I'm probably not gonna use it.

New account: Spehss _

Cthulufaic

• Bay Watcher
  • whats a touhou
    • View Profile
« Reply #3874 on: July 03, 2013, 03:11:43 pm »

The acid rain kept you warm!  :P

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
  • Exploding me won't bring back your honey.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3875 on: July 03, 2013, 03:13:02 pm »

Is there a rough getting started guide or some such? I can load the homepage but not the wiki (could just be me, my internet gets flaky), and I'd like to do some reading before I drop head-first into mutant hell.
And then, they will be weaponized. Like everything in this game, from kittens to babies, everything is a potential device of murder.
So if baseless speculation is all we have, we might as well treat it like fact.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3876 on: July 03, 2013, 03:18:20 pm »

Is there a rough getting started guide or some such? I can load the homepage but not the wiki (could just be me, my internet gets flaky), and I'd like to do some reading before I drop head-first into mutant hell.
It's been aged since I played (as stated above) but a VERY stable survival guide was basically: Find a library, take books to a gas station, lock yourself in the bathroom and read skillbooks until night.  At night, venture to a clothing store, sporting goods store, and/or military surplus - what you're looking for is utility vest and MREs.  Once obtained, head to a liqueur store and get 1 of each booze, then go back to the gas station.  Chug 2 shots of each booze, pass out, and wake up with fantastic morale, MREs, toilet, and skill book.

This is your new life.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3877 on: July 03, 2013, 03:47:48 pm »

How do you... drink from a river?

CognitiveDissonance

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3878 on: July 03, 2013, 03:48:58 pm »

Oh, a major point of change - there is no longer an XP pool, but rather a "focus" attribute. The focus is essentially a multiplier of your skill learning ability. It is directly related to the mood. Eat good food, listen to music, and you will learn quickly. It seems to naturally decrease over time while learning from a book.
Come and be amazed by this wonderful menagerie! Draw your own! Bring your favorite! The [Forgotten Beast Art Contest] is open for business!
Now also available - [The Legendary Artifact Art Contest]! It menaces! It has rings! It has craftsdwarfship!
I have a [YouTube] channel! It has Let's Plays and other stuff.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3879 on: July 03, 2013, 03:52:35 pm »

Press 'g' while stood in the water.
Doesn't do anything in shallow water...

Akhier the Dragon hearted

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a Dragon, Roar
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #3880 on: July 03, 2013, 03:52:53 pm »

In the most recent version of DDA the XP system was replaced with something else. You have a focus stat that starts at 100. Doing things like reading and being in pain will lower it while morale will slowly raise it. Instead of being a set pool of xp every time you do something you get progress towards that stat and the higher your focus is the more progress you get. It is an interesting mechanic which fixes the fact that reading a book left you with a pool of XP to spend while not taking away the benefits of sleeping as that lets your focus refill. It also means that you are always progressing in a skill, especially if you turn off skill rust where as before if you never used a computer when you had XP you would never get better at it no matter how much you used it.
Join us. The crazy is at a perfect temperature today.
So it seems I accidentally put my canteen in my wheelbarrow and didn't notice... and then I got really thirsty... so right before going to sleep I go to take a swig from my canteen and... end up snorting a line of low-grade meth.

SharpKris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3881 on: July 03, 2013, 03:59:19 pm »

Press 'g' while stood in the water.
Doesn't do anything in shallow water...
press e and a direction you want to drink from.
further on that point, is it safe to drink from the pool in the mansion?

Knight of Fools

• Bay Watcher
  • From Start to Beginning
    • View Profile
    • Knight of Fools
« Reply #3882 on: July 03, 2013, 04:00:26 pm »

It is not.
Proud Member of the Zombie Horse Executioner Squad. "This Horse ain't quite dead yet."

I don't have a British accent, but I still did a YouTube.

Akhier the Dragon hearted

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a Dragon, Roar
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #3883 on: July 03, 2013, 04:02:08 pm »

I don't think there is any safe water besides what you have in a bottle thats marked as clean.
Join us. The crazy is at a perfect temperature today.
So it seems I accidentally put my canteen in my wheelbarrow and didn't notice... and then I got really thirsty... so right before going to sleep I go to take a swig from my canteen and... end up snorting a line of low-grade meth.

Jehdin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3884 on: July 03, 2013, 04:05:26 pm »

Do iodine tablets purify water yet?
Pages: 1 ... 257 258 [259] 260 261 ... 1086