Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 144 145 [146] 147 148 ... 1086

Author Topic: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A roaming horde appears on the horizon!  (Read 1862574 times)

Sirian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead
« Reply #2175 on: April 21, 2013, 05:33:16 pm »

what font are you using? tried bunch of square fonts, unfortunately they all have problems with some characters, but this one looks good

I'm using Topaz-8 (10 10)

I also changed the colors of a couple of things directly in the code, because I'm colorblind and couldn't really tell green and yellow apart at first glance. Also I changed some spiders and animals to light grey (wolves, cougars, etc...) and small animals to dark grey, this way it's easier to notice the important things.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #2176 on: April 21, 2013, 07:51:44 pm »

So, I finally buried the old version I was using and got the newest build of DDA. All I have to say about the options menu is this:

Wolfie, GlyphGryph, everyone else involved with DDA: THANK YOU! My gratitude burns with the heat of a thousand suns.  :D

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
« Reply #2177 on: April 21, 2013, 11:06:02 pm »

Is there a way to change the colours like in DF?

Probably in the raw code.
I had a look, and every single color was hardcoded. >_> Things like inverted colors are hardcodedx too, like white goes to black and black goes to white.

I had half athought of changing cataclysm's code to use a graphical display instead of terminal, like DF, but meh. S: Libtcod didn't work for me.

bay12 lower boards IRC:irc.darkmyst.org @ #bay12lb
"Oh, they never lie. They dissemble, evade, prevaricate, confoud, confuse, distract, obscure, subtly misrepresent and willfully misunderstand with what often appears to be a positively gleeful relish ... but they never lie" -- Look To Windward

Kaitol

• Bay Watcher
  • Heya, Red.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2178 on: April 21, 2013, 11:37:17 pm »

One thing I noticed though. Is that cutting weapons SUCK in this version. Seeing as they will get stuck EVERY SINGLE TIME you hit something. And then it will take 3 or so turns before you get it unstuck. So they are worthless against groups in anything other than a 1 tile choke point. On top of just completely losing your weapon at low skill/strength. I mean they are just so completely gimped and have gotten my character killed several times. I mean seriously cutting weapons should not be getting caught every swing and when they do it should not give nearby enemies so many free hits.

I mean at this point the only reason to use them is personal preference, and its to the detriment of your character. It doesn't matter how much damage they do if even the fastest cutting weapon is rendered just as slow, if not slower than, a sledgehammer. With the added possibility of it getting completely stuck.

I mean you can pretty much negate getting totally stuck with very high starting strength and or skill. But they're still SO CRAPPY.

And this is from someone that likes blades. I want to use them, but they're just SO terrible for your characters health against anything other than single opponents.

I've used blades extensively. And a pipe in the hands of a novice character is FAR better against 2+ zombies then a bladesmaster with a katana.

Shadowgandor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2179 on: April 22, 2013, 01:58:25 am »

With 8+ strength, your blade will rarely if ever get stuck.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #2180 on: April 22, 2013, 03:41:39 am »

Is there a way to turn off a passive CBM? I've installed a Metabolic Interchange and Solar Panel, and i want to turn off the Interchange when it's sunny outside.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

jocan2003

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2181 on: April 22, 2013, 04:04:17 am »

Is there a way to turn off a passive CBM? I've installed a Metabolic Interchange and Solar Panel, and i want to turn off the Interchange when it's sunny outside.
Not that i know off.
Quote from: LoSboccacc
that was a luky dwarf. I had one dabbling surgeon fail so spectacularly that the patient skull flew a tile away from the table.
Quote from: NW_Kohaku
DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF.
Quote from: Girlinhat
Minecraft UI is very simple. There's only so many ways you can implement "simple" without copying something. We also gonna complain that it uses WASD?

Shades

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2182 on: April 22, 2013, 04:24:18 am »

Yeah, I kind of wrote the game off for a while because having enemies appearing from literally nowhere was awful. When I finally checked up on it again static spawn was implemented and it was glorious.

Heh was pretty much the inverse for me, mostly stopped playing when static spawn came in as default (at the time dynamic got broken too) and haven't yet gone back. Keep meaning to though, have to get back into the game so I can carry on with my modding work.

One thing I noticed though. Is that cutting weapons SUCK in this version.
I've used blades extensively. And a pipe in the hands of a novice character is FAR better against 2+ zombies then a bladesmaster with a katana.

I assume this is a recent change. Previously I found cutting weapons at high skill to be deadly, and bashing weapons better when your new or when you want the stun bonus.
Its like playing god with sentient legos. - They Got Leader
[Dwarf Fortress] plays like a dizzyingly complex hybrid of Dungeon Keeper and The Sims, if all your little people were manic-depressive alcoholics. - tv tropes
You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right. - xkcd

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
« Reply #2183 on: April 22, 2013, 04:39:50 am »

And now you've discovered why everyone hates Metabolic Interchange.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #2184 on: April 22, 2013, 05:04:01 am »

I'm having trouble reading the descriptions of a lot of CBM. By which I mean. They're blank.
Love, scriver~

jocan2003

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2185 on: April 22, 2013, 06:08:17 am »

I'm having trouble reading the descriptions of a lot of CBM. By which I mean. They're blank.
Sound like a darn bug to me :( Hope you get it fixed asap, untill then you can always check wiki.
Quote from: LoSboccacc
that was a luky dwarf. I had one dabbling surgeon fail so spectacularly that the patient skull flew a tile away from the table.
Quote from: NW_Kohaku
DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF.
Quote from: Girlinhat
Minecraft UI is very simple. There's only so many ways you can implement "simple" without copying something. We also gonna complain that it uses WASD?

Aavak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Bohemian Shenanigans
« Reply #2186 on: April 22, 2013, 06:16:18 am »

I just started playing this last week, and actually streamed it for a good four or so hours on my twitch channel. Really enjoying it, trying to survive, figuring out all the neat things I can do.

Now, I am getting to the point where I want to start building things, specifically I want to build a bicycle, then a motorcycle. How exactly do I go about doing this?

I've only just started playing it and uploading my adventures, I'm 2 episodes in, and already want to start working towards building a death waggon... though I'd settle for a death bike, or maybe just a tank with 2 wheels. Maybe I could build something like Cloud's bike from FF:Advent Children?

*ponders*

Aavak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Bohemian Shenanigans
« Reply #2187 on: April 22, 2013, 08:52:33 am »

Hmm, how would one cook human flesh? That is, if one was a wretched cannibal, which I am of course, not... but, theoretically, if one were, how would they go about it?

[edit - never mind, just spotted the requirement for a wood spear, in addition to the fire. Derp. Not that I needed to know this, of course, just... curious.]

kilakan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2188 on: April 22, 2013, 09:07:56 am »

well my mom always did tell me you are what you eat, and personally I'd like to stay human :D
Nom nom nom

Shades

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2189 on: April 22, 2013, 09:18:16 am »

well my mom always did tell me you are what you eat, and personally I'd like to stay human :D

But then you might end up as _any_ human, wouldn't you rather stay you? :)
Its like playing god with sentient legos. - They Got Leader
[Dwarf Fortress] plays like a dizzyingly complex hybrid of Dungeon Keeper and The Sims, if all your little people were manic-depressive alcoholics. - tv tropes
You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right. - xkcd
Pages: 1 ... 144 145 [146] 147 148 ... 1086