Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 337 338 [339] 340 341 ... 1086

Author Topic: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A roaming horde appears on the horizon!  (Read 1860933 times)

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
Re: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead
« Reply #5070 on: July 27, 2013, 07:00:53 pm »

It does make it easier to deal with small towns, though. If you don't spawn in the middle of a huge city you can usually clear out the area without much trouble, which means that you've got nothing but wildlife (*snirk*) to worry about while you get a hang on skills and crafting.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

jocan2003

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5071 on: July 27, 2013, 07:02:30 pm »

Does anyonw know how to make salted meat? I have fairly high cooking  and survival skills, but I don't have access to that recipe yet.
I think some recipes can only be learned by reading the conresponding book, so may have to read cooking on a budget or other cooking book.
Quote from: LoSboccacc
that was a luky dwarf. I had one dabbling surgeon fail so spectacularly that the patient skull flew a tile away from the table.
Quote from: NW_Kohaku
DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF.
Quote from: Girlinhat
Minecraft UI is very simple. There's only so many ways you can implement "simple" without copying something. We also gonna complain that it uses WASD?

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #5072 on: July 27, 2013, 07:12:52 pm »

Does anyonw know how to make salted meat? I have fairly high cooking  and survival skills, but I don't have access to that recipe yet.
Salted meat? What? You can make beef jerky with 4x salt and a chunk of meat, that is the only 'salted meat' I know of. That takes cooking 3.

jocan2003

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5073 on: July 27, 2013, 07:15:15 pm »

Salted meat? What? You can make beef jerky with 4x salt and a chunk of meat, that is the only 'salted meat' I know of. That takes cooking 3.
There is also that recipe of meat in a jar
Quote from: LoSboccacc
that was a luky dwarf. I had one dabbling surgeon fail so spectacularly that the patient skull flew a tile away from the table.
DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF.
Quote from: Girlinhat
Minecraft UI is very simple. There's only so many ways you can implement "simple" without copying something. We also gonna complain that it uses WASD?

Angle

• Bay Watcher
  • 39 Indigo Spear Questions the Poor
    • View Profile
    • Agora Forum Demo!
« Reply #5074 on: July 27, 2013, 07:55:16 pm »

I was looking for the "salted meat slices" that can be used to make meat pizza.

Agora: open-source platform to facilitate complicated discussions between large numbers of people. Now with test site!

The Temple of the Elements: Quirky Dungeon Crawler

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
  • Exploding me won't bring back your honey.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5075 on: July 27, 2013, 08:02:24 pm »

you need a vacuum sealer, plastic bag, and salt or saltwater for those, I think.
And then, they will be weaponized. Like everything in this game, from kittens to babies, everything is a potential device of murder.
So if baseless speculation is all we have, we might as well treat it like fact.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #5076 on: July 28, 2013, 03:08:12 am »

I mentioned windows in my post!

they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5077 on: July 28, 2013, 03:10:11 am »

And yet stronger with the window supremancy, they also drop a stick and string when smashed, both of which are very useful for a wide variety of things. Windows are pretty much the most useful thing in-game.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5078 on: July 28, 2013, 03:21:14 am »

And yet stronger with the window supremancy, they also drop a stick and string when smashed, both of which are very useful for a wide variety of things. Windows are pretty much the most useful thing in-game.
Only at houses.  But yes, heavy sticks, string, and sheets.  The string and sheet is enough to replace or repair clothing, or just gather tailoring skill by making tons of tank tops and disassembling them (NOT using a knife).  Sheets are worth 20 cloth, and if you need thread you can take a hacksaw to a car, rip out the seatbelts.  6 foot rope can be cut into 5x of 6 foot, into 30x of 3 foot 180x of 6 inch, and like infinite thread.  I cannot math right now.

Gamerlord

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #5079 on: July 28, 2013, 03:44:24 am »

You can make a long bow and around 20 - 30 field point arrows just using the stuff in the evac shelter you spawn in and a rock or two from outside.

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5080 on: July 28, 2013, 05:44:38 am »

But that requires what, level two archery?
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #5081 on: July 28, 2013, 07:29:04 am »

But that requires what, level two archery?
Longbow is Archery 3 I believe, with at least 1 in survival. Even so, that is trivial to get. Make a shortbow and shoot squirrels for a while using wooden shafts made from the wood you get from breaking the benches in the spawn shelter. If you start as a tailor you can leave the starting shelter with a longbow, decent clothing, and plenty of field point arrows fairly easily.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5082 on: July 28, 2013, 10:37:58 am »

Nobody mentioned bushes?  Those are great for single zombies or widely spaced groups.  Not as good as a window because you can't handle multiples, but manipulate their angle of attack to make them come through a bush and they are slowed down just as much as a window.  Car parts do the same.

Much better than running all the way back to a house just because of a couple zombies.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #5083 on: July 28, 2013, 10:53:13 am »

I mentioned windows AND bushes! D:

they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

FritzPL

• Bay Watcher
  • Changing avatar text since 2013
    • View Profile
« Reply #5084 on: July 28, 2013, 01:31:48 pm »

If you're running through the streets, broken cars are just as good, if not better, at slowing down zombies.
Pages: 1 ... 337 338 [339] 340 341 ... 1086