Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 966 967 [968] 969 970 ... 1086

Author Topic: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A roaming horde appears on the horizon!  (Read 1862646 times)

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
Re: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A roaming horde appears on the horizon!
« Reply #14505 on: November 14, 2014, 07:17:10 pm »

Hello, it's been near to half a year i have not played (probably march) , so i have some questions about the current situation of CDDA.

- is the game still saving several thousands of very small files in the save folder or has that amount been toned down ?
- are NPC working better (i remember after a save/load losing NPC that was teaming up with my characters everytime) and are there more stuff to do with them ?
- is everything (bot/turret/undead/animals/etc...) still wanting to kill you and only you, or are there now more enmity between things that should attack each other ?
- i remember there was mention of a scenario system in the plans, has it been implemented ?
- are the mooses still as dangerous as they were ?
Save files are now more compressed, so that's essentially 'fixed'.  Instead of a separate file per overworld tile, it's one large database.  MUCH smoother, don't worry.

NPCs are better.  Not great.  But they are better.

Things mostly just go after you.  I had a hulk kill a boomer because it was in the way, but that was incidental.  More things are likely to just ignore you though, and not make every single creature b-line to kill you.

Scenarios are sorta in, it's a starting situation.  Interesting stuff really.  You can choose your starting location and modifiers, like "the building you're in is currently on fire" or "you're locked in a lab" AS WELL as professions, which you can choose things like "I used to be a firefighter" and start with the appropriate gear and skill levels.

Moosekill is still very very valid.  Fortunately they're likely to ignore you, as I said before, and more often to run away if approached.  However when agro they'll rip you up a bit.  There's also zombie moose.  So there's that.

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #14506 on: November 14, 2014, 07:27:48 pm »

Thanks for the answers, i'll have to regive a try then :)
« Last Edit: November 14, 2014, 07:29:55 pm by Robsoie »

Ruludos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14507 on: November 14, 2014, 07:28:21 pm »

If you do start playing again, pick up the latest experimental. There's an enormous amount of new content; old building blueprints have been revamped, new building types are in, and there's a lot more deadly content out there (zombie animals, new fungal spawns, and probably more that I haven't found yet).

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #14508 on: November 14, 2014, 07:30:10 pm »

I'll give that a try and before i forget, are swamp still a no-player zone or has this improved ( i remember it was spawning dozen after dozen of fast flying creatures that you simply didn't stood a chance to resist for very long)
« Last Edit: November 14, 2014, 07:35:50 pm by Robsoie »

Ruludos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14509 on: November 14, 2014, 07:36:47 pm »

It might have been toned down, but they still spawn plenty of creeps; I would avoid them, simply because of the hassle of dealing with hostiles so frequently.

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #14510 on: November 14, 2014, 07:38:19 pm »

Thanks, i 'll then have to avoid those zones, those nasty things were preventing me to get my water as rivers were surrounded by so many swamps.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14511 on: November 14, 2014, 07:46:47 pm »

Thanks, i 'll then have to avoid those zones, those nasty things were preventing me to get my water as rivers were surrounded by so many swamps.
Nowadays you can go to public pools for water in towns (after you clear the swimmer zombies) or toilets.

Ruludos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14512 on: November 14, 2014, 07:52:16 pm »

I find that the rain is a stable source of water. A few gallon jugs and some funnels will keep me going now that they can gather water outside of the reality bubble.

EDIT:
Caves are hardcore now. Just entered one that was close by for the hell of it; I remember them being pretty boring, with a bear in them at worst. Lots of rats in this one, which I slaughtered merrily with my shiny new steel spear. I found a down stair, which was interesting...

And then I went down it. A swarm of rats was all around me, so I threw a Molotov into the darkness. There was a literal sea of rats, with a Rat King that called me filth and screamed at me to leave. Pretty terrifying; I buggered out fast, but I'll come back with some heavier ordinance and see if there's any loot worth having.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2014, 07:58:53 pm by Ruludos »

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #14513 on: November 14, 2014, 08:36:55 pm »

The Rat King is a fun enemy to encounter, though he's been in the game for as long as I've been helping at least, so he isn't exactly new. :D
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Kaitol

• Bay Watcher
  • Heya, Red.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14514 on: November 14, 2014, 08:41:07 pm »

Rat king is olllllld old.

Also, be prepared to get mutated unless you snipe his ass in a couple turns.

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #14515 on: November 14, 2014, 08:49:19 pm »

Started the mall scenario, what a start ! :D

switched to ascii for the start and i'm stuck with a lots of zombies around and on my right i see behind the glasses wall a survivor with a shotgun, the guy is making a carnage on his side, i run though the broken glass to my new best friend and take the time to check the tiles in the options, and wow i discover one i never saw before : "Retrodays" purely amazing old school and very stylish clear visuals like in those old computer gaming days.

it comes in 20x :
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
in 10x

and there's a mix of it with ascii

I wish i had a bigger screen to benefit fully of the 20x one, it's amazing.

Anyways, while my new best friend forever was holding the hordes, i bravely ran away to the other direction in the hope to find an exit or at least something that would be helpful to my survival
Out of food and arcade machines, i didn't had much luck out of attracting the attention of yet another zombie, i ran back to my best friend only to see he had killed a bunch of Z already.

and in retrodays tileset :

what a fun start :)

edit : after more shotgun-ing unfortunately my best friend got surrounded and overwhelmed, bravely holding the horde while i ran away again, a couple of zombie managed to scratch me painfully but finally i found the exit of this hell mall
Unfortunately it looks like there's a lot of zombies outside, what a great tileset, i'm hesitating a lot between it for how good it looks and ASCII to see further.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2014, 08:58:32 pm by Robsoie »

Ruludos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14516 on: November 14, 2014, 09:02:30 pm »

I guess I'm just going crazy, then. I thought the wiki said they were mainly found in sewers, but the page was last updated a year ago and says they spawn in caves, so... :S

Either way, I went back with a gas mask and a UMP45. (Note: after killing it, I got several debug messages to the effect of "creature already at targeted coordinates.") Crawled out with Long Fingernails and a lingering sense of disappointment; besides more meat than I can conceivably eat, there wasn't any loot down there.

Kaitol

• Bay Watcher
  • Heya, Red.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14517 on: November 14, 2014, 11:52:08 pm »

Caves are random. I've found plasma guns and CBMs. Piles of random fruit, and also nothing at all.

Akhier the Dragon hearted

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a Dragon, Roar
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #14518 on: November 15, 2014, 12:41:31 am »

"Retrodays" purely amazing old school and very stylish clear visuals like in those old computer gaming days.
   I totally agree on this. It was the tileset I used the most when I was last playing as it kept things close to the ASCII feel while giving the world more diverse graphical quality. I am basically at this point just waiting for the next stable version to come out. Not that I hold any special meaning in the stable version so much as my time is mostly spent on DF at the moment, what with the updates and such. The next stable is my point of re-entry mostly because I do videos of CataDDA and I had a few people who seemed to only play the stable so I felt that was a good point to set as it would inform them of the release if they didn't already know.
Join us. The crazy is at a perfect temperature today.
So it seems I accidentally put my canteen in my wheelbarrow and didn't notice... and then I got really thirsty... so right before going to sleep I go to take a swig from my canteen and... end up snorting a line of low-grade meth.

nomoetoe

• Bay Watcher
  • Victorian Walrus
    • View Profile
« Reply #14519 on: November 15, 2014, 01:21:13 am »

aww, it seems you have to work harder to get the stuff from burning down houses. :P and no rebar in houses? D: aww that was a major metal supply in my last play. all well, plenty of vehicles to take apart.
The most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or even touched. At least that's what the restraining order says.
Pages: 1 ... 966 967 [968] 969 970 ... 1086