Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 731 732 [733] 734 735 ... 1086

Author Topic: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A roaming horde appears on the horizon!  (Read 1861172 times)

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
Re: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - Version 0.A "Kaufman" released!
« Reply #10980 on: March 16, 2014, 04:34:41 pm »

HOLY CRAP!

"Urist McSomething" is a name that can be given to an NPC.

Heh. And guess what - Troglobite mutation line is a goddamn Dorf, complete with metabolizing booze into food. Combining the two...
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

KA101

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10981 on: March 16, 2014, 06:14:40 pm »

Spoiler: Mutagens (click to show/hide)

What. Seriously? Is it supposed to be a secret or something?
These things are probably randomly generated. It's a book that takes 9 skill to read and brings your skill to 9, so its only benefit is the recipes. I also seem to remember seeing one without any recipes.

If you were to hack some Lab terminals, you might come upon some information that might clear it up for you.

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
« Reply #10982 on: March 16, 2014, 07:28:06 pm »

I've played through about nine characters, one was me just getting used to playing, three died from zombies, and five died to animals because my base ended up surrounded by dozens of hostile woodland creatures and I don't know why. Is there a way to reduce animal spawns or something?
Most of them generally aren't hostile. A moose, for example, is pretty friendly and will generally meander around. Unless it decides it doesn't like you. Same with bears, ect. I recommend simply avoiding them by a good dozen or so tiles if you want to avoid hostility, as they only rarely will otherwise bother you from what I've seen.

Lightningfalcon

• Bay Watcher
  • Target locked. Firing main cannon.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10983 on: March 16, 2014, 07:50:54 pm »

I've played through about nine characters, one was me just getting used to playing, three died from zombies, and five died to animals because my base ended up surrounded by dozens of hostile woodland creatures and I don't know why. Is there a way to reduce animal spawns or something?
Most of them generally aren't hostile. A moose, for example, is pretty friendly and will generally meander around. Unless it decides it doesn't like you. Same with bears, ect. I recommend simply avoiding them by a good dozen or so tiles if you want to avoid hostility, as they only rarely will otherwise bother you from what I've seen.
I have not had that experience.   From what I can gather, the species known as "Moose" in cataclysm are not the moose we know today.  In Cata they are a genetically modified super animal, trained to know what state their prey is in.   If they are healthy, well armed, and armored, they will stay away.  However, if you are lightly armed, and just retreated from attacking a town, they can sense your inexperience, and will ambush you mere yards away from your shelter.   
Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum circo vincendarum
W-we just... wanted our...
Actually most of the people here explicitly wanted chaos and tragedy. So. Uh.

Mictlantecuhtli

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinning God of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #10984 on: March 16, 2014, 07:51:16 pm »

Don't believe any of this propaganda about mooses[meese?].

But, back to what I was saying. They are bloodthirsty murderers. Avoid, stay a screen away from them unless absolutely necessary or if you can kill them.

I've had a couple times when I was wounded limping to base with ~50 speed and suddenly, a wild moose appeared to show me the error of my wounded and slowed ways.
E: Ninja'd. Truly, they are adept predators of this post apocalypse.
I am surrounded by flesh and bone, I am a temple of living. Maybe I'll maybe my life away.

Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth,
Card-carrying Liberaltarian

Gamerlord

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #10985 on: March 16, 2014, 07:53:17 pm »

Note to self; threshold mutation things 'Insect', 'Beast' are annoying.

ollobrains

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10986 on: March 16, 2014, 08:23:16 pm »

laying trap can be useful at this point with moose

wer6

• Bay Watcher
  • SCOUT DOESNT WANNA GIVE A KISS
    • View Profile
    • Pirate baaaayyyy!~
« Reply #10987 on: March 16, 2014, 09:02:02 pm »

psst... Carry a big stick or a big barrel...((or a big sword, and fuck em up, but i carry a zweihandier and a hell of a magnem
Just before leaving, Psysquid quickly summons a Burrito in his mouth.

Akhier the Dragon hearted

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a Dragon, Roar
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #10988 on: March 16, 2014, 09:06:07 pm »

The gentle moose in its natural habitat is a wondrous thing. Truly a peacefully creature, watch as it stands alert next to a stream filled with lazy harmless carp. Next time on the Nature channel we will focus on the Elephant a meek giant who couldn't harm a fly.
Join us. The crazy is at a perfect temperature today.
So it seems I accidentally put my canteen in my wheelbarrow and didn't notice... and then I got really thirsty... so right before going to sleep I go to take a swig from my canteen and... end up snorting a line of low-grade meth.

WhitiusOpus

• Bay Watcher
  • Pro-radiation Lobbyist
    • View Profile
« Reply #10989 on: March 16, 2014, 11:10:46 pm »

Don't believe any of this propaganda about mooses[meese?].

But, back to what I was saying. They are bloodthirsty murderers. Avoid, stay a screen away from them unless absolutely necessary or if you can kill them.

I've had a couple times when I was wounded limping to base with ~50 speed and suddenly, a wild moose appeared to show me the error of my wounded and slowed ways.
E: Ninja'd. Truly, they are adept predators of this post apocalypse.

I swear, I've died more times from the meese (mooses?) than zombies. "Hmm, hmm hmm, harvesting my crops. Isn't it a wonder- oh hai there woodland creature, would you like some vegetables? oh wat the fu- HGMBRSGBLLRBGS-"

The moose. Their blood red eyes stare into your soul, as steel hardened hooves destroy it.
Quote from: The Froggy Ninja
Young Masches: Fetch yonder blade!
Masches grabs his "sword." Navi gasps. Her aura flushes a pinkish hue and she flies out the window.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #10990 on: March 16, 2014, 11:12:21 pm »

I'm still impressed with how well a broadsword can block the attacks from a two ton hell-beast like that.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a Dragon, Roar
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #10991 on: March 17, 2014, 12:17:35 am »

I like the broadsword as well. It keeps blocking the dang zombear swarms and is actually better than a katana. It has 1 more overall damage and is +2 accuracy rather then +1. I actually have one on my latest LP character who has been doing quite well so far.
So it seems I accidentally put my canteen in my wheelbarrow and didn't notice... and then I got really thirsty... so right before going to sleep I go to take a swig from my canteen and... end up snorting a line of low-grade meth.

Kaitol

• Bay Watcher
  • Heya, Red.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10992 on: March 17, 2014, 12:33:41 am »

My hand-forged nodachi laughs at your puny broadsword. Its knockback and sweeping attacks combined with its massive cutting damage make is clearly superior.

Who needs to block when nothing ever gets to swing at you because its either dead or now one to two squares away.

Now if only there was a flaming version...

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #10993 on: March 17, 2014, 01:15:05 am »

I like the broadsword as well. It keeps blocking the dang zombear swarms and is actually better than a katana. It has 1 more overall damage and is +2 accuracy rather then +1. I actually have one on my latest LP character who has been doing quite well so far.
One has to wonder, though. A non-cheap, non-knockoff katana should have damage superior to the broadsword, while being harder to use.
Hmm.
Well, looking at the json definitions, it seems like it loses a little bash damage in favor of cut damage, and it actually has some major differences. The katana has an extra technique, "RAPID", and has "WBLOCK_2" instead of the broadsword's "WBLOCK_1". Plus its has the "SLICE" flag, instead of "CHOP". So in a metagaming sense, it's superior - higher block chance, faster attack, less stick chance, plus greater proportion of cut damage for armor piercing.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a Dragon, Roar
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #10994 on: March 17, 2014, 01:17:41 am »

Huh, I tend to just go by what I can see in game so I didn't know that. I must admit I am just too lazy to randomly code dive but partly I also don't want to know too much. I think I will switch to the Katana and test it out. After all I have found two of the things.
Pages: 1 ... 731 732 [733] 734 735 ... 1086