Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 13

Author Topic: The Space Race II (Forum Game)  (Read 14432 times)

kingfisher1112

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Space Race II (Forum Game)
« Reply #135 on: January 26, 2013, 05:27:00 am »

If people are dropping out, would it be OK for me to get in?
I honestly thought this was going to be about veterinarians.
Ermey: 26/4/13

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: January 27, 2013, 07:05:30 am »

Turn 3 : 1948-1949

The global economic upturn continues, resulting in increased investements in porjects worldwide.
((+50% funds for all spaceprojects))

County relations:
                  Australia      Japan        Poland       Greece      Scotland       Nicuaraga            France       Maryland
Australia      Neutral        Neutral     Neutral       Neutral       Neutral          Neutral             Neutral         Neutral
Japan          Neutral        Neutral     Neutral       Neutral       Neutral          Neutral             Neutral         Neutral
Poland         Neutral        Neutral     Neutral       Neutral       Neutral          Neutral             Neutral         Neutral
Greece         Neutral        Neutral     Neutral       Neutral       Neutral         Neutral              Neutral         Neutral
Scotland      Neutral        Neutral     Neutral       Neutral       Neutral          Neutral             Neutral         Neutral
Nicuaraga    Neutral        Neutral     Neutral       Neutral       Neutral          Neutral             Neutral         Neutral
France         Neutral        Neutral     Neutral       Neutral       Neutral          Neutral             Neutral         Neutral
Maryland      Neutral        Neutral     Neutral       Neutral       Neutral          Neutral             Neutral         Neutral

SPACE

Research:
Lab 1 will improve the capacity of the small fuel tank (-$1000) [Much progress is made.]
Lab 2 will reduce the weight of the radio transmitter satellite further with the help of the Electronics Expert (if weight is reduced to minimum, work on the lifetime) (-$1000) [Significant progress is made by removing redundant parts without endangering functionallity.]
Research cost: $2000

Design:
None this year.

Production:
Produce 1 Arrow I (-$675)
Production cost: $675

Missions:
Launch the prototype Arrow I to examine its design for flaws. Use Lobbyist ability on this launch. [Launch succesfull, +5 Prestige]

Total cost: $2675

NASA (Japan)

No turn

PCIS Turn 2

Work was progressing on a good pace and the prototype has been shipped today. I can't say much about its abilities, but we were able to fit newest components into it. I can lift some small cargo to LEO, this gives me an idea to build a small sensors probe to gather data about temperature and what-not on ascent and send it back to us via radio-link.

Our engine fails one time in three now, still risky odds but good enough for unmanned trials. I will takeover the engine research team for now and try to brainstorm some new ideas. I will give the second team orders to design the probe.

I was thinking about the launch date, well we can get some video equipment and launch the prototype, gather data about ascent profile, and if something goes wrong we can improve it. If lauch goes well we send the tapes to TV and industry partners, if not - improve the design and try again.

I will try to inquire about some TS-1 sales deals with interested parties in Poland.

Research:
Me: Engine, comprehensive study (safety+efficiency) (-1000$) [Research progresses slowly. If you want hints about what possible engine types you can research, just ask]
Lab 1: Research probe (-1000$) [Research progresses quite rapidly, the probe still weights much though, and it's radio transmittor is both slow and unsecure]

Launch:
Gather dataregistering devices and cameras, launch the TS-1 prototype. Try to learn as much as possible from the launch. If launch goes well inform the press, if not keep quiet about it. [The launch goes better as expected, but not that well. There was a engine failure just after launch, and the rocket simply fell over. It's still recoverable, but that will cost 200.]

Produce:
1x TS-1 (-600$)

Promise:
In next 4 years we will send a dataprobe to LEO with the intent of gathering scientific data. [You managed to catch the interest of several universities and other research stations across the globe. +7 Prestige]

Meeting (for 0$, im low on cash):
Organise a meeting with industry leaders to sell them my rocket design. [The market for sattelites is quite nonexistant at the moment, though there are a few industrial partners who have expressed interest in sattelite imagery, for example]
Propose the rocket to the military as a long range SAM. [The military, while interested, would like to see the rocket fly before buying anything.]

Trade: Send full results of thruster research to MARYLAND, take in 500$ funds [Done, but the agreement will be terminated along with the player next turn.]

Anouncement to other space program leaders: I will sell fuel/fuel tanks for 80% of their nominal price and cover transport fees (if this is confirmed as financialy viable by the GM). (You'd be making 10 per tank, if I calculate correctly.)

Totals: -2100$

PSI

No turn

SMF Turn

Lab: Researchers will research more potent fuels (-1000) [Little progress is made, but at least it's something.]

Design:none at the moment

Construction: None

Other: SFM will test launch their first rocket, and the GERMAN mathematician will crunch numbers to ensure a successful flight; [Launch succesfull; +4 prestige]
 (General note, Paying for a press conference is a lobbyist ability.)

Summary: (-1000)

FIEE

Research:
1st floor: (Chassis Scientist) Redesign the basic single stage hull to survive reentry. ($2000) [Rapid progress is made, but full reentry surivivability is unlikely to happen with current designs]
2nd floor: Solar cell technology ($1000) [An electric short resulted in a fire, which almost destroyed the lab. 1100 repair costs]
3rd floor: Solar Powered Transceiver Satellite ($1000) [Rapid progress is made]

Design and Production:
Hold on upgrading probably-unneeded Moineau I specs.
IF ROCKET EXPLODES: Build another Moineau I (Racnor has agreed to supply me a second engine if needed, and I'll pay for the costs.)

Missions:
Launch Moineau I with radio transmitter (Stable LEO). [The launch is succesfull, and the small sattelite is happily transmitting it's prebuild in messages. The rocket itself burned up, as expected. +8 prestige(That was a bad PR roll)]

Construction:
None

Other:
Within five turns, FIEE will return a rocket to Earth from space, without it burning up in the atmosphere. [+6 prestige, though nobody really believes in it.]
If launch and satellite test succeed, contact the French government to see how much they'll pay for satellite services. [The french governement, while interested, is not impressed with the fact that the sattelites are rather hard to reprogram.]
Give Racnor fuel efficiency instead of a second year of transmitter research.

Total expenses:
-$4200

Promises

FIEE: Radio transmittor by the end of 1951
SPACE:Radio transmittor by the end of 1951
PCIS:- Succesfull guidance system assisted launch by the end of 1950
         - Succesfull scientific probe in LEO by the end of 1953
NASA: Photos from space by the end of 1955

Player name: Peter Fletcher
Archetype: Lobbyist
Funds: 3800 (+2300)
Prestige: 13
Organisation Name: SPACE: Space Projects for Australian Commerce and Exploration (yes I know it's a recursive acronym)
Motto: Ad astra per ardua
Nation: Australia
Spoiler: Researched Components (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Designs (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Rockets (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Assets (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Special people (click to show/hide)

Player Name: Samuel Wells
Archetype: Scientist
Funds:4,500 (+1000)
Organisation: NASA (I can't think up a better name.)
Motto: Lets screw with history
Nation: Japan (Bet you didn't expect that)

Spoiler:  Assets (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Special (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Optional (click to show/hide)

Player name: Aleksander Sołtyk
Archetype: Scientist
Funds: 3250 (+2000)
Prestige: 10
Organisation Name: P.C.I.S. (Poland CAN into Space)
Motto: Show the world what we can do.
Nation: Republic of Poland
Spoiler: Researched components (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Specials (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Optional (click to show/hide)

Player name: Apostolos Urian
Archetype: Lobbyist
Funds: 5.500 (+1000)
Organisation Name: PSI(Preeminent Space Investigation)
      -Motto: Fly Higher, Fly Faster
      -Nation: Greece

Spoiler: -Researched components (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: -Designs (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: -Assets (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: -Special people (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: -Special thingy: (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Optional: (click to show/hide)

Player name:Javier
Archetype:scientist
Funds: 2.800 (+1400)
Prestige: 4
Organization: S.M.F.(supermagicalfuntime)
      -Motto: No one builds 'em better than us!
      -Nation: Nicaragua
      -
Spoiler: Researched components (click to show/hide)

-
       -

-

-

Player name: Medoro Marceau
Archetype: Bussinesman
Funds: 3765(+3410)
Prestige:21
Organisation Name: French Institute for Extraterrestrial Exploitation (FIEE)
      -Motto: Étendre l'influence de l'humanité (Expanding humanity's influence)
      -Nation: France

Initial bonus: Expert Chassis scientist (+40)
[/spoiler]
« Last Edit: January 29, 2013, 01:08:46 am by 10ebbor10 »

javierpwn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: January 27, 2013, 10:30:52 am »

Turn:
Research:
    Me:(-1000) Improve fuel efficiency with the medium thruster

Design:
Alter design so that lighter hull is introduced, and
New weight:1625 kg
New Payload:293.875(min)829.375(max)

Construction: Peregrine mk2{using new lighter hulls}(-800)

Have a meeting with the Militaries of many Nations, to show them the launch of my Peregrine; and propose it's use as a Surface-To-Air Missile

Other: Trade off medium engine schematics to FIEE for [1.00] of lighter hull and $500
Promise: By 5 years, will have photos of Earth from space

Summary:(-1300)

(PCIS, wanna sell me that Guidance system???
Possible -4% chance of failing sounds good to me??))
« Last Edit: February 03, 2013, 03:10:48 am by javierpwn »

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: January 27, 2013, 11:23:11 am »

Ebbor: that was bad wording on my part. I wanted a new hull type, 10m high like the basic one, but able to survive re-entry. I was thinking of the heavier ones from last game. Any chance I could get that retconned?

FIEE will pay well for 10% failure rate engine tech.

javierpwn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: January 27, 2013, 11:25:51 am »

Or you could buy the peregrine mk 1!!
(Or a 20% failure engine)

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: January 27, 2013, 11:46:52 am »

Hmm. How much do you feel your medium thruster blueprints are worth as they are now, given that RulerOfNothing's thrusters are nearly as powerful and slightly safer?

javierpwn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: January 27, 2013, 11:50:31 am »

They will have a better fuel efficiency soon.
And the have a maximum fuel efficiency as of 2.75.... But that could be dangerous, or at least tor leaving atmostsphere

Don't forget it could handle 1500 Fuel as well
« Last Edit: January 27, 2013, 11:54:12 am by javierpwn »

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: January 27, 2013, 12:04:05 pm »

Right now, I just need something that will launch without exploding. It will be a while before I can launch two 'real' satellites with one rocket.

javierpwn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: January 27, 2013, 12:13:06 pm »

If my standard Peregrine launches with maximum thruster power on, and my slightly enhanced fuel
It can carry a payload of 629.375..... As of now, it has 2 meters of space, and I plan to equip it with a guidance system

Edit:Using your fuel, it can carry 701.5625 payload at maximum power
« Last Edit: January 27, 2013, 12:15:14 pm by javierpwn »

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: January 27, 2013, 12:23:33 pm »

I'm not buying your rockets, with shipping fees every turn (to keep a satellite network up), when I'm trying to get my own reusable rockets out, and need to land one in four turns to fulfill a goal.

Here's my offer: [1.00] of lighter hulls tech and $500 for your medium engines tech as it is now. Neither of us sells the tech to others. Launch services and rockets themselves are fair game for selling.

javierpwn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: January 27, 2013, 12:28:03 pm »

With the re-entry??
Or no?

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: January 27, 2013, 12:44:16 pm »

No, I'm trying to get rid of re-entry since I intended to make that a different hull type.

javierpwn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: January 27, 2013, 12:48:48 pm »

Ok then, that seems worth it!!
Deal!!

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: January 27, 2013, 01:27:14 pm »

Errors: No prestige from fulfilling goal of getting a satellite in orbit/my first launch, new goal not added to list, money not refunded from accidental expensive research.

Research:
1st floor: Improve liquid fuel ($1000)
2nd floor: Make medium engines safer and repair the lab ($2100)
3rd floor: (Chassis Scientist) Decrease weight of reentry capable hull. ($1000)

Design and Production:
-$2000 [Lowest priority if financing problems]

Courrier
Height: 10m
Weight: 2700kg
Thrust: 2.15 * 1000 * 1.05 = 2257
Payload to orbit: Cannot enter LEO
Failure chance:
Survival chance:
Cost: 750? 850?

10m Reentry capable hull (10 * 150kg = 1500kg)
1m Medium Engine (200kg) [CANCEL DESIGN IF 2M]
8m small fuel tanks (8 * 125kg = 1000kg)
1m payload space

Missions:
None

Construction:
None

Other:
Trade with SMF: Get medium thrusters (start of turn) for [1.00] of lightened hull and $500.
Technology Trade with SPACE: Improved fuel (end-of-turn) for better small fuel tanks, equal research progress. If I fail, [0.55] for [0.55]. If I do well, up to [0.90] for [0.90].
Technology Trade with SPACE: Solar satellites for end-of-turn solar cell research if he doesn't fail.

Total expenses:
-$6600 (-rocket, +1000 not spent on last turn's research)
« Last Edit: January 29, 2013, 05:32:50 pm by Nirur Torir »

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: January 27, 2013, 01:32:14 pm »

Ebbor: that was bad wording on my part. I wanted a new hull type, 10m high like the basic one, but able to survive re-entry. I was thinking of the heavier ones from last game. Any chance I could get that retconned?
Done
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 13