Poll

Should we mod the new world?

No
- 121 (60.5%)
Yes
- 79 (39.5%)

Total Members Voted: 200

Pages: 1 ... 49 50 [51] 52 53 ... 74

Author Topic: DF2014: The Succession World! At Long Last!  (Read 109587 times)

Elephant Parade

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: DF2014: it's pretty much confirmed by now. (Succession world)
« Reply #750 on: December 31, 2013, 08:05:39 pm »

Anybody wanna bet that Toady releases DF2013 at 11:59:59 Seattle Time?
You know what would be funny?

If it turned out that Toady actually secretly completed the release already, and is planning to release it on New Year's Eve.

The only thing that supports this theory even slightly is him being nearly done, though.

FAKE EDIT: Actually, the recent lack of development logs could also be him putting all of his time into working on the game. The Future of the Fortress reply probably took up a lot of time, though.

MDFification

• Bay Watcher
  • Hammerer at Law
    • View Profile
« Reply #751 on: December 31, 2013, 08:06:45 pm »

You can use DFhack's embark anywhere plugin to embark overlapping with your previous fort, so you can continue building  without being interrupted by being too close the edge of the map. That way you can have a continuous rail track until you hit the next stop.
Now, the real question; do you build it underground (like a dwarf) or above ground on a raised platform cast out of obsidian, with tunnels underneath so you don't mess up caravan routes?
Also, this way we can connect the various forts, which is awesome. I initially thought we should build all of our forts right next to eachother, so we'd build us a metafort (a fort composed of multiple forts?). This would let us ride in adventure mode from one fort to another! Can't imagine that we can send supplies to eachother in real time, though, unless we make massive resupply runs in adventure mode.

How you gonna power the rails, though? It can't be windmills or surface waterwheels, because they can be taken out by titans/dragons. So it has to be underground waterwheels. Intriguing.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #752 on: December 31, 2013, 08:24:55 pm »

You'd power the minecarts by pushing them, preferably. No mechanisms involved, just muscle power. You can probably do that indefinitely. However, having tunnels/bridges across the tracks or not even touching the surface at all wont help caravans get through: the AI are almost certainly just going to look at the boundaries of the fortress you claim by embarking and refuse to go anywhere inside that boundary. It would take too much resources to have the AI actually try to path through the embark.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Dwarf4Explosives

• Bay Watcher
  • Souls are tasty. Kinda like bacon.
    • View Profile
« Reply #753 on: December 31, 2013, 08:34:53 pm »

Maybe we can set up a system so armies are flooded across or under the fort and out the other side?
And yet another bit of proof that RNG is toying with us. We do 1984, it does animal farm
...why do your hydras have two more heads than mine? 
Does that mean male hydras... oh god dammit.

DVNO

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #754 on: December 31, 2013, 08:40:37 pm »

If I had to bet, i'd think the armies will go Ghengis Khan and lay siege to what they can't cross, and then with it being now their territory, they'll go ahead and cross.

The are little gas stations, probably tended by 7-10 Dwarves at each stop maximum. I don't think they would be a match for these massive armies.
Al mondo mal non e senza rimedio

Reach me via Bitmessage ~ BM-2DC7sWixk2iSKThdX9thhyrxWBeWRXUEv9

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #755 on: December 31, 2013, 08:41:38 pm »

Also, opening paths are only possible in an active fort. When the site isn't loaded, the armies likely treat it as one big, solid obstacle.
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

Ruhn

• Bay Watcher
  • Adept Dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #756 on: January 01, 2014, 08:52:16 am »

You'd power the minecarts by pushing them, preferably. No mechanisms involved, just muscle power. You can probably do that indefinitely. However, having tunnels/bridges across the tracks or not even touching the surface at all wont help caravans get through: the AI are almost certainly just going to look at the boundaries of the fortress you claim by embarking and refuse to go anywhere inside that boundary. It would take too much resources to have the AI actually try to path through the embark.
Well, even if caravans and armies are out of luck it would be nice if an adventurer could cross the tracks easily without having to find a train station.
Powered mine carts could be FUN, if NPC dwarves are able to ride them.  Then crossing the tracks will be less safe, and even riding could end in a train wreck.
Instead of a train system, a subway could be built instead too.  Or both.

Dwarf4Explosives

• Bay Watcher
  • Souls are tasty. Kinda like bacon.
    • View Profile
« Reply #757 on: January 01, 2014, 11:02:44 am »

I'd suggest using subways for multi-embark fortresses' internal transportation, with railroads connecting the different fortresses. A simple bridge over the tracks could solve the issue of crossing the tracks.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2014, 12:41:08 pm by Dwarf4Explosives »
And yet another bit of proof that RNG is toying with us. We do 1984, it does animal farm
...why do your hydras have two more heads than mine? 
Does that mean male hydras... oh god dammit.

MDFification

• Bay Watcher
  • Hammerer at Law
    • View Profile
« Reply #758 on: January 01, 2014, 12:00:04 pm »

Also, opening paths are only possible in an active fort. When the site isn't loaded, the armies likely treat it as one big, solid obstacle.

If Armies attack non-player forts during play, then they'll almost certainly destroy/seize segments of the railroad unless it's strongly defended. Caravans will likely pass through it.
If the railroad idea were to happen, you'd need to leave single-embark tile gaps between railway segments so armies could path through, then mod adventure mode so you can make tracks with adventurer reactions and close the gaps. That way armies could still path through. However, we've said we don't want this game modded, right?

I get the feeling the succession world might end up being many succession worlds.

mastahcheese

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 20% less sanity and trans fat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #759 on: January 01, 2014, 01:35:09 pm »

Well, you could always just leave the gap, and then when you reach the gap, just push your minecart like a skateboard until you reach the next point.
I don't see any reason to have the entire thing automated, if it will be a hassle.
Oh look, I have a steam account.
Might as well chalk it up to Pathos.
As this point we might as well invoke interpretive dance and call it a day.
The Derail Thread

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #760 on: January 01, 2014, 02:14:54 pm »

Who is the derrotist that changed the thread title? DF will come in 2013. Even if its one second away from midnight.

Anything else is heresy.

Heresy, eh? Well, that's what it is then. Welcome to the Heretical Union of DF2014, brother!
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Mesa

• Bay Watcher
  • Call me River.
    • View Profile
Re: DF2014: The Succession World!
« Reply #761 on: January 01, 2014, 02:50:44 pm »

A lie repeated a thousand times becomes the truth.
And so here we are, in 2014, with no new DF release at hand.

mastahcheese

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 20% less sanity and trans fat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #762 on: January 01, 2014, 03:00:25 pm »

Still worth the wait.
Oh look, I have a steam account.
Might as well chalk it up to Pathos.
As this point we might as well invoke interpretive dance and call it a day.
The Derail Thread

wer6

• Bay Watcher
  • SCOUT DOESNT WANNA GIVE A KISS
    • View Profile
    • Pirate baaaayyyy!~
« Reply #763 on: January 01, 2014, 03:54:52 pm »

because magic.
Just before leaving, Psysquid quickly summons a Burrito in his mouth.

Ruhn

• Bay Watcher
  • Adept Dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #764 on: January 01, 2014, 09:01:19 pm »

Well, a small walk between track sections isn't so bad... much better than walking the entire distance.  It would be fun FUN to bust through a goblin occupied train station in a mine cart, if one happened to get captured.
Pages: 1 ... 49 50 [51] 52 53 ... 74