Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: A Parable  (Read 3369 times)

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
A Parable
« on: December 31, 2012, 11:56:30 am »

So let's say Barry and Johnny have a disagreement. Barry hates Johnny, and Johnny hates Barry, but they cooperatively run an orphanage and are trying to decide who's most important.

Now, Barry and Johnny will take nothing less than a total admission of inferiority from the other. Well, OK, Barry will accept any admission, really, any kind of admission at all- but Johnny demands total superiority in all things.

They've spent years fighting over this, and it's started to wear on the quality of the orphanage they run. They both know this, and finally, in a rare moment of cooperation, Johnny proposes a solution, and Barry agrees.

Two days later, Barry and Johnny are standing in a small control room above a huge car-crushing machine. The orphans are in the jaws of the active and slowly advancing machine. Johnny says, "Alright, now, unless we agree on who's best, the urchins will be crushed. Of course, that's not likely to happen, since neither of us want that result very much at all." Both men have, in front of them, a button which will stop the machine and release the orphans, but each man's button is different; Barry's automatically deploys a crimson banner exclaiming that Johnny is superior, while Johnny's button deploys an aquamarine banner hailing Barry.

Needless to say, the orphans are squished like so many invading goblins under dwarven drawbridges.

The important question, besides who has to clean up the crusher before the feds show up, is, who's fault is it?

Of course, Johnny suggested it, but both men had the option to step back at any time. Now, it might be more fair to the reality of the situation if our parable included such details as Johnny's intention, once he had been recognized as infinitely glorious leader of the orphanage, to eat the urchins one at a time. Then Barry's reluctance might be more excusable... nonetheless, taking the less-evil course of action would still allow more action later.

Frankly, I don't think many people would feel that this story reflects well on either men, nor does it suggest that they should be in charge of running an orphanage, a business, a dog pound, or even a cactus nursery, which would survive even otherwise extraordinary negligence.

But the real story I'm telling here, the thing this story is based on, is still at the tense moment when the jaws juuuust start to squeeze the collected urchins, as Johnny and Barry look tensely at the buttons. There's still just a little bit of time. Maybe a few hours. Maybe just enough for Johnny to come to his senses and realize that he doesn't actually want to spend the next six hours hosing down a piece of greasy industrial equipment. Maybe Barry will decide that there might be a better way to deal with a madman than giving him exactly what he wants.

But probably not.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
Re: A Parable
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2012, 11:59:09 am »

Point is, they're both potentially orphan-murdering dicks.

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2012, 12:04:19 pm »

I would find the whole exercise ridiculouos, press the button regardless, then immediately rescind it once the orphans are no lnonger in danger.It's like the Prisoner's Dillemma, Cooperation is the best, but there is no real problem with being back-stabbed. That is problem with US government, because what SHOULD be a a different Dillemma, with Both not cooperating being the worst outcome (and is the worst for the people) but it is a prisoners dilemma for the politicians, because ceding too much is being backstabbed, which is worse then fallout from all-around failure.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

Fenrir

• Bay Watcher
  • The Monstrous Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2012, 12:08:46 pm »

Think outside the box, Barry. Punch Johnny and push his button.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2012, 12:14:26 pm »

So humans would rather let the orphans live?  Kill them now and they have no friends.  Let them live and tantrum spirals may happen later.
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2012, 12:52:31 pm »

I was gonna suggest this. But yeah, punch him out, push the button, report him to the feds, get to run the orphanage by yourself.
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2012, 01:43:56 pm »

And then Barry was the Feds.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2012, 02:49:21 pm »

And then Barry was the Feds.
What if...
Barry was always the feds!?
DUN DUN DUUUUUUUUUN!
And Johnny was an evil demon who feeds on pain!

Yeah, this parable is a great metaphor for a lot of human problems.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Lectorog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2012, 03:36:50 pm »

It would seem that each values an honest admission over the lives of orphans.

But the real story I'm telling here, the thing this story is based on, is still at the tense moment when the jaws juuuust start to squeeze the collected urchins, as Johnny and Barry look tensely at the buttons. There's still just a little bit of time. Maybe a few hours. Maybe just enough for Johnny to come to his senses and realize that he doesn't actually want to spend the next six hours hosing down a piece of greasy industrial equipment. Maybe Barry will decide that there might be a better way to deal with a madman than giving him exactly what he wants.
Is this the time when they lose sight of their goals - blinded by instinctive morality - or become more human?

FearfulJesuit

• Bay Watcher
  • True neoliberalism has never been tried
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2012, 03:39:11 pm »

Eight and a half hours left for Johnny and Barry to find a solution...

@Footjob, you can microwave most grains I've tried pretty easily through the microwave, even if they aren't packaged for it.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #10 on: December 31, 2012, 03:43:51 pm »

The obvious solution is to tell Barry and Johnny to back the fuck away and replace them with Bob, who is a cool guy and can run an orphanage.
[Even though no one knows who he is].

misko27

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 31, 2012, 03:45:32 pm »

No, solution is for barry to push the other guy into the trap, showing it was a elaborate ruse to kill him.

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #12 on: December 31, 2012, 03:47:43 pm »

Bob... Bob... bob...

Robert Mugabe?
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

misko27

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 31, 2012, 03:50:28 pm »

No, it's clearly, wait for it,

RON PAUL RON PAUL RON PAUL.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #14 on: December 31, 2012, 03:55:37 pm »

BOB PAUL 2016

The thing about Bob Paul is he would make a terrible orphanage leader. But you know what? Bob Paul would get rid of the advertisements plastered all over the orphanage buildings and stop rich people lobbying for orphan blood, making way for Bob Paul's better but even less well known possible orphanage leader, Joe Bloggs McHumanBean
Pages: [1] 2 3